• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dorian for Viola and Piano (Sirulnikoff)

Share/Bookmark

Dorian for Viola and Piano (Sirulnikoff)

Hi All,

I recently acquired GPO4. This piece was rendered using Aria in standalone mode.
    However, I can't figure out how to register the VST instrument in Sonar6. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a step by step procedure for this.

DORIAN for Viola and Piano

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Jack

Re: Dorian for Viola and Piano (Sirulnikoff)

Hi, Jack - I'm really glad to see you posting a new piece for us. You've probably posted more recently than I realize - I just don't come by here often enough!

This was an interesting musical journey that kept me going as I listened. After the opening, I had no idea for the tensions that lay in wait longer into the piece. Very interesting.

You've chosen a solo instrument heard Very rarely here at Garritan (ever?)--the Viola. It's often been cited as the most artificial sounding of the string samples. I know that its volume is for some reason louder than the other solo strings, and so has to be turned down. - And I do think it's a fairly weak sounding instrument, not one of GPO's shining moments.

However--It did sound better in the spotlight you gave it than I would have imagined.

Please allow me some technical notes?-

--You have the Viola to the extreme left, and the Piano to the extreme right. They also seem to have different reverbs applied to them, or maybe it's just that you have the Viola much dryer and closer to us.

But I feel rather sure that if you would move those two soloists closer, Much closer to each other, that the results would please you. Picture the Viola player standing in the curve of the Grand Piano, the two musicians able to see each other and communicate. This would place the Piano just slightly left, and the Viola just slightly right. I feel that would be a good, natural sounding setting for your intriguing piece. I hope you try that out, see how it works for you.

Thanks for the music, Jack.

Randy

Welcome Jack,

Very nice piece. I like the harmonic language of it (reminds me a little of Shostakovich maybe). Anyway a fulfilling piece to my ears. Well done. Hope you keep writing and post more of your work.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Hi Randy and Steve,

Thank you for listening, and for your comments. I'll try out what you've suggested, Randy. I find Aria very easy to work with.

By the way, I've solved the problem I mentioned in my original post. It has to do with Windows 7, which has caused me no end of trouble in running older programs. You have to run Sonar 'as administrator', for it to incorporate the Aria plug-in.

Is there a provision to expand pitch bend range beyond 2 semitones in Aria ?

Best Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Is there a provision to expand pitch bend range beyond 2 semitones in Aria ?
    Hi Jack, that's quite simple: just click in your instrument slot where you see the word 'def' and change it to the value you need. Nice composition btw

Hi Etto,

Thanks for listening and for your help.

I'm sorry, I can't find it. Could you be more specific ?

Jack
    Last edited by jacksiru; 10-29-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added question

Hi Jack,
    in mixer page you have 16 s'lots' to load your instruments in; just below your instrument name you'll see 'tune 0 Def 1/2 01' . These are default instrument parameters; now click on Def and you'll see pitch bend options. Cheers

Hi Etto,

I still haven't been able to find it, but I see that my version of Aria and GPO4 aren't the latest versions. I've tried the free download, but I had some problems with that, but I'll try it again, and perhaps that's where the difference is.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Jack

Jack - Thanks for sharing your piece with us! quite an interesting composition. I might be wrong but i hear a lot of strong feelings coming up in the music. (always a good thing)

I agree with some of the other comments about the instruments and tecky stuff. Randy does know what he is talking about. In writing a piece of music there are soo many details to consider and pay attention to that it takes a while to make sure they are all taken care of. Just like when someone listens, they have to absorb an incredible amount of information. Solo instruments as so important as they are literally naked in the recording. Having the right instruments and paying attention to all the little nuances using virtual instruments can make or break a really good composition. So i would encourage you to do more writing. BTW - loved your NS Fantasy and Panorama too!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hi Jack. I enjoyed this piece. A relatively simple piece yet quite effective. I agree with Randy about the distance between the players but it isn't really distracting.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast