• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Libraries and Finale 2012 - Setup Wizard Now Virtually Useless

Garritan Libraries and Finale 2012 - Setup Wizard Now Virtually Useless

I know there are many people here who use their Garritan libraries with Finale. This post may be of interest to all those here upgrading to Finale 2012.

Since Finale 2007 we have been able to setup new scores with ease using the Setup wizard. Especially since Finale 2010 and 2011 We could select any instrument from any of Gary's libraries. The new score was then ready to go, all instruments and channels assigned ready to playback.

No longer .. Finale 2012 Setup Wizard will now only assign just one instrument from a predetermined library and there is no choice of which patch it is.

Make Music are promoting ther new 'Score Manager' for working with scores. Except .. when opening Finale 2012 to create a new score, the 'Score Manager' is not enabled .. greyed out!

During the past week I have been in contact With Make Music Tech Support and provided them with the following three scenarios to illustrate the uselessness of the new Setup Wizard:

With GPO4 set as the priority library.

Scenario 1: I want to setup my new score using GPO4 to include:
    (Oboe) - Classical Solo Oboe,
    (Solo Violin) - Violin 2 Solo
    (Section violins) - Violins 1 (Sus+Short)

The setup wizard loaded: (Oboe) Oboe 1 Modern Player 1, (Solo Violin) Violin 1 Solo KS, (Section Violins) Violins 1 KS. To select the exact patch/instrument I need, as in my list, we now have to go into either the 'Score Manager' or the 'VST Banks and Effects' and change everything to the patches named in my list!

Scenario 2: I want to include instruments from different libraries in my new score:

GPO4 - Violin 3 Pizz Solo.
    JaBB3 - Steinway JaBB Piano
    CoMB - Bb Clarinet Solo 4

The Setup wizard will just load a Solo Violin, Piano and Clarinet from GPO4 (which has been set as priority). We no longer have the options in the Setup Wizard to mix and match the exact instruments/patches we need from the different libraries as we have in previous versions of Finale! Again, we have to go into either the 'Score Manager' or the 'VST Banks and Effects' and change everything to the patches named in this list!

Scenario 3: I want my new score to have 3 of the same solo instruments - let's take GPO4 solo violins for example:

GPO4 - Violin 1 Player 1
    GPO4 - Violin 1 Player 2
    GPO4 - Violin 1 Player 3

Setup Wizard loads the three same patches for each stave/MIDI channel namely Violin 1 solo KS. This is at fault as we need to avoid using the same MIDI/instrument for more than one channel to avoid phasing issues and dropouts. So, again, we have to go into either the 'Score Manager' or the 'VST Banks and Effects' and change everything to the above patches listed in GPO4 Solo Violins for the score to playback fully!

For a score of twenty or more staves the above would involve a lot more work than the clarity and simplicity of the Setup Wizard in previous versions.

Make Music Tech Support have confirmed my above scenarios as being correct. They have also suggested that I put in a new feature request. Yes .. a new feature request for a feature that we have had for five years (since 2007 if I am correct).

In the meantime my 'Workaround'

The only workaround I can see for setting up our new scores with the exact Garritan instrument/patch we need is to use the Setup wizard to setup just one stave. This will then 'enable' the Score Manager where we can then add more staves and instruments but we still have to then go into the libraries list to change the instruments to the exact instruments/patches we need.

I have tried really hard to understand the logic of Make Music staff responsible and have struggled to find the 'benefits' and 'advantages' of the new system to no avail.

Yes, I could revert back to finale 2011 but I have now paid for this upgrade and Finale 2012 does have a new and better audio engine, unicode, PDF File creation and others.

Soo .. I'll keep with Finale 2012. I'll setup my Garritan libraries using my workaround and wait for that new feature request of a fully functional 'Setup wizard' just like the great one we had before!
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Garritan Libraries and Finale 2012 - Setup Wizard Now Virtually Useless

Thanks for the update and the changes effecting GPO4, JaBB and CoMB. I think after reading your article that I will stay with Finale 2011 and wait and see next time around.

I have one suggestion for you and setting up your score and instruments. Can you still set up a score in the way you suggest then save it as a template so that you don't have to do it fresh every time in the future?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your excellent suggestion. Yes, that is another way around it.

I'll certainly be saving my scores as templates.

Thanks for that.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I agree completely. I use most of the Garritan Libraries and was disappointed in this step backwards in the Setup Wizard.

Terry Vosbein

Finale 2012 MAC
    Garritan GPO4, JABB3, CoMB, World

I don't use Finale, but this pattern of software "development" is everywhere. Things that work are replaced by new things that quite simply don't function as well. I'm a Sibelius user, and we experience the same thing: many times the improvements are just great, but then there are the times where you just shake your head and ask "what were they thinking?" I know that no program is perfect, and no update will address all the widely varied concerns and issues, but taking out a part of a program that was functional, worked, and accepted by the users - how is that an improvement? And this is not limited to music, obviously...

There are some software development guys on the forum - perhaps they could chime in on this phenomenon. Nothing is 100% stable in terms of a program. But what is it that causes a perfectly good function to tossed in favor of one that is more work? Is it the desire to get something to market that is new, thus justifying the upgrade? Something to make us all move to version X.X? Again, this is not aimed at Finale - they just exhibit this trait, and it's what started the thread - but it seems pervasive.

Ron Pearl

I haven't upgraded yet either and not sure I will. I usually upgrade every other year and I'm currently on 2011. Having said that though I have the understanding that alot of the improvements made this time around puts MM on a path to have a true 64-bit application and improvements that come with that. I think of it like replacing the water heater or furnace in your home but you keep the same old faucets and vent covers.

Anyway I can't speak to the wisdom of the score manager however and quite frankly I don't have a good understanding of how it works.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

I'm not a "die-in-the-woods" Finale user, just for scratchpad work and manuscript
    purposes, but what you describe is definitely a serious regression for MakeMusic.

I wouldn't use this program now if it were given to me. I, like many others, kind
    of upgrade every two years and I'm glad that I have 2011 (that works most of the time).

I also wonder if many folks that are upgrading know about the disadvantages in Finale
    2012 regarding the issues you have posted.

Also, templates are a great way to workaround, but if you are contemplating a piece that
    you don't have a template for, can you lay it out in 2011 and have it show up correctly
    in 2012 under the Score Manager?

Thanks for your in-depth analysis and examples.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

NW Illinois

I've posted a detailed response to this post on the Finale forum. Bottom line, I completely disagree with your assessment. I believe the new system is either faster than what was in 2011, or the exact same number of keystrokes, But it certainly is not more time consuming than before.

This is not to say that the Score Manager cannot have more intelligence built into it. When loading 3 solo violins, it should load different patches as you say. But in a situation like this, the amount of effort for you to switch to a different GPO violin is no more than it is to load these sounds in 2011.

EDIT: I did a very unscientific test. I used your sample of a 3 violin score. I first created this score in 2011 with the setup wizard using the old method. It took 25 seconds. Then I created the file in 2012 using it's setup wizard. I used the score manager to switch to the player 1, 2 & 3.. This also took me exactly 25 seconds. Bottom line, I don't see anything that's virtually unusable about it at all. It's just a different workflow.

The argument can me made as to how much of an improvement the Score Manager is to experienced users. Is it worth upgrading for? That's a personal decision for each user. But for new users, I see it as a very big improvement. Finale has the reputation of being difficult to learn. But in this case they've made something easier for new users, to assign the correct playback sound with each staff. What's wrong with MM doing that?

A quote from a new Finale user. "ScoreManager is convenient to have rather than switching through windows, and I have no trouble with the percussion mapping and MIDI while others say it's a complicated, unteachable system."

Go Back to forum