• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: sample converter....which one?

Share/Bookmark

sample converter....which one?

Just got chicken system converter and it seems to be working cool but does not convert mac sample cell. anyone work with CDxtract? and do you like it? anyone have both, and if so which do you prefer. I have alot of mac sample cell and roland sample cd\'s.

Re: sample converter....which one?

I am using Chicken Systems Translator and am having 50% luck converting EMU (ESI 4000) libraries. They import but then crash my computer. I have ordered CD extract but it has not arrived yet. My brief understanding is that although both programs do the same thing, they each have certain libraries that they convert better than the other.
    We\'ll see...
    Good Luck

Anyone else having luck converting soundfonts to .gigs with Chicken Sys? I know, sounds like a funny conversion to need, but I have some sf2\'s I like a lot and would love to hear them through my Delta 1010 rather than through my noisy SBLive!...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magpel:
    Anyone else having luck converting soundfonts to .gigs with Chicken Sys? I know, sounds like a funny conversion to need, but I have some sf2\'s I like a lot and would love to hear them through my Delta 1010 rather than through my noisy SBLive!...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'m having a terrible time with Translator. Akai -> Gig, it misses lots of sounds, and corrupts others. Plus you have to babysit it through lots of error messages.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magpel:
    Anyone else having luck converting soundfonts to .gigs with Chicken Sys? I know, sounds like a funny conversion to need, but I have some sf2\'s I like a lot and would love to hear them through my Delta 1010 rather than through my noisy SBLive!...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'m having a terrible time with Translator. Akai -> Gig, it misses lots of sounds, and corrupts others. Plus you have to babysit it through lots of error messages. And don\'t even dream about doing Kurzweil conversions.

I\'ve come to the conclusion that it\'s a terrible company, based on two things: 1) How badly their product operates, and 2) The fact that they claimed lots of functionality in their marketing before the programmers had finished it (\"we do Kurzweil!\" being the best example of that).

Good luck,

Mark

I don\'t have either converter, so I can\'t speak to their effectiveness, but if you follow this link to Chicken System\'s website, it gives you the current status on whether it has completed work on various translation formats:
    http://www.chickensys.com/translatorgiga/status.html

According to this link:

\"The translation project of SampleCell format to Gigasampler format on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:17:5 is basically completed, but does not include many program parameters (filters, LFO\'s, velocity switches, etc.). \"

I hope that anyone using either of these converters will keep us posted on how well they work. Thanks!

Paul George Webb

Also note that they (Chicken Systems) give the same status for Kurzweil as they do for SampleCell.

Paul George Webb

...and another thing...

I went to the CDxtract website and this link gives you status on their formats:
    http://www.cdxtract.com/cdxmac.htm

They say they can convert FROM SampleCell but NOT to Gigasampler. However, this same page gives you the oportunity to request other formats. I suggest that all who are interested in converting to Gigasampler go to that link and request the same.

Paul George Webb

...OK, one more thing and then I\'ll shut up...

In checking through Chicken Systems status on all of the formats they list, I find that only 2 or 3 are listed as fully completed. All the others are in various stages of partially to mostly completed.

I think I\'ll wait on that one.

Paul George Webb

You can just open your Soundfonts in Giga Editor and convert them to Gigs. You don\'t need another program. I do it all the time. There are actually tons of really good soundfonts on the web that you can make to gigs. check out hammersound... some of the drumkits are really good.

Go Back to forum