• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Tom Sawyer" - the second number

Share/Bookmark

"Tom Sawyer" - the second number

I CAN HARDLY WAIT
    (click picture for MP3 link)

Before the famous fence painting scene in "Tom Sawyer," and following the opening number of my musical based on the novel, where several early incidents in Mark Twain's book are sketched in - Tom has a moment alone on stage, full of yearning aspiration.

His Aunt Polly has presented him with a bucket of whitewash, a brush, and a stretch of fence to paint that looks a mile long through the eyes of the crestfallen young man.

Like every growing boy before and since, Tom can hardly wait until he's an adult, when, as he imagines, nobody will ever again tell him what to do. His strongest desire is to grow up NOW - and the ensuing plot of "Tom Sawyer" unexpectedly presents him with that very opportunity.
    -------------------
    As I said when I posted the bustling opening number, "St. Petersburg," the rest of the songs
    in the show are mostly very simple, and aimed at a young audience. --The musical tastes of
    a certain country were kept in mind when I wrote this show, and that influence is heard most in this particular song. Perhaps you can guess what I mean.

The illustration is from the original book. Tom's daydreams allow him to become a pirate, a
    soldier, and even an Indian Chief. In his young mind, he thinks it's possible to grow
    up to be an American Native Chief, since he doesn't consider the magical transformation of
    his own ethnic heritage that would entail.

This is a vocal demo, me singing to tracks which have been produced for a theatre to use in
    a production of the show.

Garritan instruments used in the recording are:

Octave Mandolin from World.
    Acoustic Guitar from JABB.
    Accordion from JABB
    Cornet solo from CoMB.
    Orchestral Bass Drum from GPO.
    Pueblo Drums from World.
    Washboard from World.

Randy

Thumbs up Re: "Tom Sawyer" - the second number

That's delightful, Mister Randy!

Is that a Bb washboard or what?

Let's face it. You were born to write and produce musicals. Admit it.

I look forward with baited breath to hearing the finished production. (I must do something about my baited breath.)

My best to you.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Tom Sawyer" - the second number

Hello Randy,

Enjoyed this a great deal - and Larry's ammusing comments too!

I listened to this as I was opening my birthday cards and presents on Sunday morning - so the subject matter about growing up raised a few smiles. I didn't have time to comment at the time as I had to dash off for choir commitments but I'm listening again now and am full of admiration for the effective use of samples in this. Those vocals are well executed too. Maybe Gary could find a place for you in some future vocal project!

Thanks.

Graham

Very nice Randy! I agree with Larry. You really do have a flare for stage musical composition. If you have not done it already, your approach to music would go well with film scores also.

Your voice ain't bad either.
    Looking forward to more. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    That's delightful, Mister Randy!

Is that a Bb washboard or what?

Let's face it. You were born to write and produce musicals. Admit it.

I look forward with baited breath to hearing the finished production. (I must do something about my baited breath.)

My best to you.
    Mister Larry!--Always honored to see you on one my threads. - Aaah, and I'm pleased my little ditty delighted you. We're not quite in "Dorian" territory with this stuff are we?!

You know me - theatre and music, my two loves. I thought I'd gone more over to the "dark side"-- POP, with these "Sawyer" tunes, but it actually is reassuring to know that my theatricality still comes through.

Hmmm, I'll need to check the tuning of my Washboard.

As for your baited breath --I'll take your word for it. Since we're communicating online, I say breathe away - nobody else will notice aroma, just the kindness of your words.

Randy

It's like Fiddler on the Roof with a country bumpkin bluegrass twist and lashings of brilliance. Very enjoyable song and great singing dude!

Just like the first song, these 'simple' songs belie what sounds to me like a very percise and painstakingly orchestrated arrangement. You have a great knack for using the Garritan samples and bringing the best out of them as well. Bravo!

I would suggest more rubato on the opening lines perhaps? - make a good contrast for when the rhythm kicks in.

Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Hello Randy,

Enjoyed this a great deal - and Larry's ammusing comments too!

I listened to this as I was opening my birthday cards and presents on Sunday morning - so the subject matter about growing up raised a few smiles. I didn't have time to comment at the time as I had to dash off for choir commitments but I'm listening again now and am full of admiration for the effective use of samples in this. Those vocals are well executed too. Maybe Gary could find a place for you in some future vocal project!

Thanks.

Graham
    Graham! - Thanks much for letting me know you had a listen and enjoyed - along with Larry's amusing comments--hehe.

Happy Birthday late!-- It's fun to know that I helped entertain you on your special day.

Randy

Randy,

This is very charming and fits the genre you have chosen for the musical. The chord progression sounds extremely familiar to me and I can't quite place the piece it reminds me of. (I want to say an old Sonny and Cher tune, but I am probably wrong or it might be an old Dixieland piece. I just can't quite put my finger on it.) edit - Actually it reminds me of "Those Were The Days My Friend". and I REALLY do like the piece!

Any way, I like the lyrics and they do fit in the style of the compositions rhythmic meter. No big deal, but the only negative comment I have is that the voice singing this doesn't sound young enough to be a kid and not a grown-up. I can picture the concept of the song better if it were for a tenor and a little higher in pitch. I know that is a personal preference of mine and in no way detracts from your excellent presentation of this number.

The Garritan sounds were use extremely well. I heard the guitarist sliding up the frets, felt the breaths in the winds and like the banjos or mandolins in the background. The mix was well established and each instrument was in its own space! Nicely done with that!!!!

Thanks for allowing us to hear your work on your new musical.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Holy Cow! Randy,

I’ve heard this voice before on posts you have done, but for some reason I didn’t realize it was you singing. I had no idea you could sing like that! You have that perfect Broadway Musical voice. Okay, (chicken, egg question) which developed first, your skill as a musical composer and you learned that style of singing to accommodate your scores, or were you born with a voice that just happens to fit musicals to a tee, so you gravitated towards writing musicals. Or were you just lucky enough to be born with both talents from the get-go. However it happened, you are a very lucky man! You definitely can claim bragging rights for your voice. My own voice can only be used for sound effects in a horror movies. Obviously, I’ve been in high demand this past week! lol

I really liked this piece; in fact, ( I hope you don’t get mad at me,) I even like it a tad better than your opening number. I think it’s the melody that really resonates with me personally. The instrumentation you chose for this is likewise perfect for the mood and libretto. Just a real joy to listen to---guess I’m one of those kids you wrote it for!

I have to tell you a dirty secret of mine at this point, don’t tell anyone else…ha, ha.

The form of music I love the very most is the symphony. But my second fave is the Broadway Musical. And there is a reason for that. When I was growing up in Iowa in the 50’s and 60’s there was a magnificent old theater in Des Moines called the KRNT theatre, since torn down…of course. As I recall, it was the largest theatre West of the Mississippi at the time. Both my parents were really into musicals and they took me to KRNT theatre twice or so per year. For some reason, all the big theatre Broadway Hits in New York that went on tour across the country ended up playing at the KRNT. So my youthful musical chops was inspired by hearing the very best on stage--- Yul Brynner in the “King and I”, Rex Harrison/Julie Andrews in “My Fair Lady, Mary Martin in Peter Pan, Carol Channing in “Hello Dolly” and on and on. I didn’t think about it very much when I was young, but I sure realize now what an opportunity I had and how it changed my life.

So keep them coming Randy. It really does my soul good to hear your creations. Really fun stuff!
    I wish I could write librettos like you do too, but alas I’m terrible at it. So I have to reside to the fact that instrumental forms will be my thing. This probably explains why I tend to gravitate towards writing programmatic music rather than absolute music. The words and story are there…..you just can’t hear them by way of a mouth!

My Best,
    Cass

That tune is so familiar, tough with a few twists. I can almost hear the other words. And I hear a clarinet.... It's going to drive me crazy until I figure it out....

Anyway, this was fun. I'm sure your audience will love it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast