• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 questions

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 questions

Hi,

I have Aria Player v 1.093, and GPO4 v 4.02 (I think - I'm not sure where to look it up, unless it's the 1.02 under Settings).

Questions:

1) How do I find the Options Panel in the Aria Player ? I understand that's where Volume and Pan can be reset as CC7 and CC10.

2) I understand it's possible to set the Pitchbend Range by clicking on Def in each Channel where Tune, Stereo, and Channel Numbers are located. However, I don't see it anywhere. If an expanded pitchbend range is possible, how do we set it up, and where do we find it ?

On a completely unrelated topic:
    Whenever I post a new thread, I always end up with this large icon (envelope and arrow), and I see all the other ones are much smaller. It's not something I do deliberately, so I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how I can generate an icon for my thread like all the others.

Thanks.

Jack
    Last edited by jacksiru; 10-30-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: additional topic

Re: GPO4 questions

There's a newer version of the ARIA Player (version 1.111) here. Be sure to get the manual on the same page.

Its setup is tabbed so it's easy to find volume and panning on the "Mixer" tab and elements such as portamento and length on the "Controls" tab.

Not of much help on the forum question as I'm kind of new here myself.

Volume and pan area already set to CC7 and CC10 in the ARIA player. Volume should be set at one level for the instrument. CC1 should be used to control expression. Many libraries use CC11 (Expression) for this control. The difference in Garritan libraries is that CC1 is used to control both volume and timbre.

Jim

Hi Iacobus and Jim,

Thanks for your responses.

The Options Panel is referred to in Guide (Page 157), but I can't seem to locate it on the Aria Player.

I ran an update, which I thought was for v1.111, but on the Settings tab, it ended up showing 1.093. I followed the instructions which said :
    1) Login to www.Garritan.com
    2) Go to My Account->Free Downloads
    3) Download the latest version of Aria Player

It's still not clear to me if there is a provision to expand the Pitchbend Range, and how you find it.

Thanks again.

Jack

Jack,

There isn't an option for expanding the pitchbend range in the player. You will need to actually modify the instrument files.

Here's some info that Chad posted about a year ago on how to do this with JABB which uses the same format as GPO:

Currently you can change the pitch bend range by editing the JABB content/bank files. It's important to note that this change will affect the entire bank and not just a single instrument. I would only try this if you are comfortable editing text/xml files, as this isn't officially supported. Here are some steps you can take as a power user:

- Navigate to your Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3\Banks\2Notation folder
    - Make a backup copy of the file "JABB_NOT.bank.xml"
    - Open the file JABB_NOT.bank.xml with any xml editor you have (most standard text editors can edit xml files without too much trouble)
    - At the top of the file you'll see the following:

<Define name="$bend_up" value="1200" />
    <Define name="$bend_down" value="-1200" />

Change the bend_up and bend_down values to your desired range (in cents). For instance if you wanted to change the range to 2 steps you'd change the values to:

<Define name="$bend_up" value="200" />
    <Define name="$bend_down" value="-200" />

- Save your changes to the bank xml file and reload your ARIA player and instrument
    - You can repeat the same steps to the Standard bank if you wish to change it's default range as well.

Jim

To my ears this orchestra delivers. I’ve had the opportunity to play with and use multiple orchestral libraries, some of the largest ones around, some that cost a pretty penny, but I wasn’t even the slightest bit let down when playing this library.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Hi Iacobus and Jim,

Thanks for your responses.

The Options Panel is referred to in Guide (Page 157), but I can't seem to locate it on the Aria Player.

I ran an update, which I thought was for v1.111, but on the Settings tab, it ended up showing 1.093. I followed the instructions which said :
    1) Login to www.Garritan.com
    2) Go to My Account->Free Downloads
    3) Download the latest version of Aria Player

It's still not clear to me if there is a provision to expand the Pitchbend Range, and how you find it.

Thanks again.

Jack
    Hello, Jack - I'm catching up with your posts here in the much neglected "Tips" Forum:

--I've turned to page 157 of my current GPO manual, but there's no mention of an Options Panel there. I see Appendix A, which is a quick guide to the MIDI controllers used in GPO.

--But there definitely IS an option for expanding the Pitch Bend range of the instruments. As with all Garritan instruments, and as you said in an earlier post - you click "Def" (Default) under the loaded instrument's name in Aria, and you can set the bend from 1 step to 12, a full octave.

--That pitch bend control has been in Aria for a long time, way before version 1.111. - It has to be there or something's wrong with your installation.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your response. I hope things are going well for you.

1) The 'options panel' is referenced under both volume and pan on Page 157, at least in my copy. However, assigning CC7 and CC10 doesn't seem to be a problem.

2) However, the pitch bend range is definitely a bigger problem. No matter how hard I try, I cannot see 'def' under the instrument name. My settings tab reads 'Aria Player 1.02' and 'Aria Engine v1.111'.

Best Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your response. I hope things are going well for you.

1) The 'options panel' is referenced under both volume and pan on Page 157, at least in my copy. However, assigning CC7 and CC10 doesn't seem to be a problem.

2) However, the pitch bend range is definitely a bigger problem. No matter how hard I try, I cannot see 'def' under the instrument name. My settings tab reads 'Aria Player 1.02' and 'Aria Engine v1.111'.

Best Regards,

Jack
    Hello again, Jack

I looked more carefully - found the references to an "options panel" on p. 157. Hmmm, that's an error. The info on that page also says that CC7 and 10 have to be "activated" before the controls will respond to automation from your host software - I don't know why it says that since I've always been able to automate those controls without changing any settings. hMmmm.

You still don't have the current Aria Player version. 1.111 is current for the Aria Engine - but the Engine and the Player are two different components. When you click on the "Get Help" button on Aria's Settings page, you're taken to the Aria Engine website where only the Engine can be updated.

You'll need to contact support on this - I can't find where you can update your Aria to the current version. At the Garritan.com site, click "Contact" on this page:

http://www.garritan.com/store/support/

There's an email form. Explain that you need version 1.111 of the Aria Player.

EDIT: I'm suggesting that since you've already downloaded what was supposed to be the current Aria Player from the site - Sounds like you've done everything you're supposed to. - I did notice at the Engine site that there's a warning that users shouldn't download the 1.111 Engine and install it if they don't have the current Player - and that the current Player download includes the Engine update.

I see in the manual that the images of Aria are now outdated - No "Def" is shown on those screenshots. I don't remember now when that pitch bend control was added, but apparently later than I would have thought. All I know is that 1.111 has the control.

SO - try contacting them. You need that current version which new customers are getting when they purchase any of the Libraries.

Best I can do for now!

Randy

Go Back to forum