• Register
  • Help

Topic: They're Coming!! - Something for Halloween

Share/Bookmark

They're Coming!! - Polychords

Here's something I wrote last year sometime but just got around to mixing it a bit. It's not finished sonically but in my rush to get it posted by Halloween I let some things slide. There's also a strange skip about 2/3 of the way through from importing it into Reaper. Enough disclaimers!

The compositional idea I was working with was polychords and specifically major chords a half step apart. I tried creating motion by swapping chords and playing with inversions. So the piece starts out with C major in the left hand and Db major in the right hand followed by Db major in the left hand and C major in the right and so on. If I invert the chords I can create traditional bass motion of fourths ( C -> F for example) but still stay with my overall scheme. It was a fun experiment and I have a couple other pieces based on the same idea that I may post at some point. Overall though I just thought the harmonic language that resulted was interesting. I hope you think so too.

They're Coming!

Score - They're Coming!
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Re: They're Coming!! - Something for Halloween

Ooooh this is really neat, Swinkler - My wife and I just finished watching "Poltergeist" tonight, featuring the superbly atmospheric music by the late, great Jerry Goldsmith. I dare say your work here is sounding in the maestro's league.

With no Garritan Halloween contest this year, I'm glad to see somene has posted something in keeping with the holiday. Excellent spooky stuff--thanks for it!

Randy

THAT's the SPIRIT!!

The technigue concept and the way in which you presented it was very interesting. I would like to hear more of it though. It seemed to end way too soon and abruptly.

Thanks for giving me the Halloween spirit today!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for the comments guys. It was fun to work on and I thank you for listening.

RichR, I do have two other "movements" that use this same language that I may post sometime. I'd really like to spend a little more time on those and even this one getting a little better mix.

I also included a score if anyone is interested in looking at it. Sometimes it helps to look at the score to comment rather than just listening.

Thanks again.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Wow, a nice surprise here. I would say appropriately "on the nose" - well suited for the past holiday. Took a look at the score too - needs a bit or cleaning up... but good work overall.

Thanks for the creative work...

Enjoyed.

M

Thanks for the listen Michael and the comment. Yes the score is a bit of a mess with collisions, etc. and something I need to go back and cleanup for sure.

Thanks again!

Steve,

as usual, I'm late to the party. They've cometh and they have goneth. But fortunately your piece has not.

First of all, I really, really appreciate it when a forum member posts the score along with the music; it helps so much in understanding the music.

Secondly, thanks for the explanation on what you were doing with the half-step polychords. It really worked well in this piece. Here I was carefully studying how you were orchestrating them at the beginning and then THE CHORDS struck; fell out of my chair!

I can truthfully say, this is a very effective piece for evoking an adrenaline surge.
    I particularly liked the vibe/ xylophone line over the horns at the end. Made a great finish.

Thanks again for the scare!

Cass

I missed this at Halloween but I'm glad I heard it now - I think your little "Experiment" in polychords turned out pretty good and works well here.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum