• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT - Importing MIDI into REAPER

Share/Bookmark

Slightly OT - Importing MIDI into REAPER

There's a problem I've run into and one that's also being discussed on the REAPER forum about how REAPER handles tempo changes and mixed meters. For me the specific problem is importing a midi file I've exported from Finale and how REAPER handles (or doesn't) the meter changes. One piece I've been working on completely dropped a beat and I'm not sure fixing it is going to be a simple task.

So I'm wondering if there are any REAPER users out there who work similarly and have come across any tricks especially if mixed meters and/or tempo changes are involved.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Re: Slightly OT - Importing MIDI into REAPER

Wish I could help but I don't use Reaper. I know that when I export MIDI from Finale PrintMusic 2011 into ACID Pro 7, it's generally fine minus some tweaking.

(e.g., a ritardando in Finale does not translate into ACID Pro, mainly because of how ACID works, so I have to manually insert a ritardando myself, which isn't a big deal.)

I've imported MIDI files with mixed tempos into Reaper with no issues thus far, but have yet to do so with anything with mixed meters though, so I can't comment on that.

Reaper keeps all the MIDI events together in a track with the exception of the tempo/time signature, which gets stuck in the little markers on the ruler, so you won't be able to check the event list to see if things are right there... I guess where I would start myself is with good ol' midi2txt, and do a dump of the midi file (basically turns the entire thing into a huge event list text file), and look through it to see if all the proper MIDI events are there. However, the output from the dump could potentially be confusing/overwhelming/too technical for some people's tastes... but with luck (I don't have Finale so I don't know how it behaves when exporting), the MIDI file will have kept the tempo/meter items in a separate track and you won't have to search through masses of note events to find them and to make sure they are all there.

Now if it's a messup in the timing of the sequence, perhaps a note ending up before a meter change when it should be before, or something of the sort, that could be more difficult to track down... whether it be a mistake on Finale's export or a mistake on Reaper's import. I suppose you *could* track it down with the event dump, but you'd have to wade through all the notes/events, probably with a calculator handy, to see if everything is happening when it should be. That... would be a lot of work... and more akin to debugging the programs themselves than working on your music.

More practical would probably be to edit the MIDI in Reaper, maybe shift around the tempo/etc. markers and see if you can fix the problem in there.
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    I've imported MIDI files with mixed tempos into Reaper with no issues thus far, but have yet to do so with anything with mixed meters though, so I can't comment on that.

Reaper keeps all the MIDI events together in a track with the exception of the tempo/time signature, which gets stuck in the little markers on the ruler, so you won't be able to check the event list to see if things are right there... I guess where I would start myself is with good ol' midi2txt, and do a dump of the midi file (basically turns the entire thing into a huge event list text file), and look through it to see if all the proper MIDI events are there. However, the output from the dump could potentially be confusing/overwhelming/too technical for some people's tastes... but with luck (I don't have Finale so I don't know how it behaves when exporting), the MIDI file will have kept the tempo/meter items in a separate track and you won't have to search through masses of note events to find them and to make sure they are all there.

Now if it's a messup in the timing of the sequence, perhaps a note ending up before a meter change when it should be before, or something of the sort, that could be more difficult to track down... whether it be a mistake on Finale's export or a mistake on Reaper's import. I suppose you *could* track it down with the event dump, but you'd have to wade through all the notes/events, probably with a calculator handy, to see if everything is happening when it should be. That... would be a lot of work... and more akin to debugging the programs themselves than working on your music.

More practical would probably be to edit the MIDI in Reaper, maybe shift around the tempo/etc. markers and see if you can fix the problem in there.
    Thanks for sharing your experience Silh.

As it happens I know where the problem is and in fact 1 beat before a meter change was dropped somehow. I double checked the Finale file to make sure there wasn't an incomplete measure or maybe some strange values in all the parts or just anything strange about that measure and couldn't find anything. The thing is there were meter changes earlier in the piece that imported just fine. So I'm at a loss as to what happened.

Now to your point about editing the midi in Reaper, that scares me a little. I've not had good luck adding space without completely messing things up. However I may give it another try. I'm using 4.10 (upgraded from 3.xx) so maybe that's gotten better.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Go Back to forum