• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solo Strings Harmonics

Share/Bookmark

Solo Strings Harmonics

I have Garritan Personal Orchestra Version 4 with Aria Player v1.02 installed on my Win XP 32 bit machine.

I am struggling to find a way to get the sound of solo strings harmonics.

I have a string quartet piece. For the cello part I loaded in Cello 1 Solo KS.

At one point, I have the cello playing a false harmonic on C#5, which results in the sounding C#7. There isn't a Key Switch that addresses harmonics. The PDF manual has nothing mentioned about string harmonics.

I am stuck.

One solution I am interested in, has anyone managed to achieve this with this $149 version?

On another hand, I understand that it is possible to buy more instruments for Garritan (though I wasn't able to find a page where I can "browse the instruments"). Does anyone know of a KS-enabled solo string instrument that works with Garritan Version 4 and features harmonics?

Related to this, I wish I could access open strings sounds, or for that matter, be able to tell the particular instrument to play this note "on the G string", or "on the D string", and also, is there any Garritan string instrument that will allow me to control its default vibrato? (Anyway, those might need to be split off into separate threads).

Thanks.

Re: Solo Strings Harmonics

Unfortunately, GPO doesn't have harmonics for either the solo or section strings. The only product Garritan put out with solo string harmonics was the discontinued Stradivarius Violin library.

Jim

Jim, thanks for letting me know. What a huge disappointment.

Perhaps my next best thing is to create my own sample based instrument (I am sure there are other sample instruments that have real harmonic sounds) and somehow convert it to the format that Garritan understands.

Hello, Anatoly

As Jim said, there are no string harmonic samples in GPO. But you also asked if they were available in "the $149 version" of GPO-- What do you mean? That's what GPO with Aria costs. Maybe you mean you have the reduced GPO sample set that comes with Finale or Sibelius?

And you said you might be interested in trying to come up with your own samples in a format that works with Aria. I don't know where you'd find the actual samples, but Aria uses the SFZ format, like Sonar's Dimension synth. Here's a link about SFZ - it's a bit more than most home musicians are willing to delve into, but it is possible to create scripts for playing samples in Aria:

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

Randy

Hey, Randy,

I meant the $149 version I have. I was sort of hoping that I could get those sounds without having to buy anything extra, which it looks like I have to create my own, now. The thing is, though, I can't really create my own to add to the existing ones, because I can never match the sound of the cello that they captured and the mic and room setup that they used. What was wrong with having them record a few extra samples from the musician they invited to do it? Wouldn't have costed that much more.

Anyway, yes, thanks, I have spent the past few days editing (and trying to understand some of the less than clear variables in) the sfzs. I read a number of your posts on this forum about that also. For example, one thing I created rather simply is an alto flute KS patch that also includes piccolo on different KS keys (something, again, they didn't think was worth including, whereas I often have flute muta into piccolo in my scores, and I don't want to waste an extra midi channel). In any case, a different topic.

I need to start a whole bunch of new threads, just can't get to it.
    Thanks,
    Anatoly

BTW, I would like to keep this thread open because I would be interested in all the different creative ways that people with deep Garritan knowledge solved this problem of not having string harmonics patches to use with scores that demanded those sounds.

Creative ways? Yep....

Go here:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesou...mples/library/

you' ll find any possible sample you might need, and they are free.

There are both artificial and natural harmonics for solo strings.... the problem is that there is way more than that and it will be very difficult then to resist the temptation to build complete patches and that' s kind of painful.
    I could not resist and did it for the four solo strings, and they sound like this:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/VtsAPcZC/Bach1043_2.html

You decide.

Fab

I just went and bought another product with solo strings which contains every possible articulation.

They don't really work in a sectional context, however. They are really just solo strings.

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Creative ways? Yep....

Go here:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesou...mples/library/

you' ll find any possible sample you might need, and they are free.

There are both artificial and natural harmonics for solo strings.... the problem is that there is way more than that and it will be very difficult then to resist the temptation to build complete patches and that' s kind of painful.
    I could not resist and did it for the four solo strings, and they sound like this:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/VtsAPcZC/Bach1043_2.html

You decide.

Fab
    !!-- Good heavens - this is amazing. I've never seen that site before - I can't believe what they have there!

Anatoly, roll your sleeves up and dig into these free Philharmonia samples - I just auditioned some string harmonic samples - It would be a lot of work, as Fab said, but could be worth it.

Meanwhile - Your Bach piece sounds lovely using these samples, Fab--wow--Thanks for all of this!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    !!-- Good heavens - this is amazing. I've never seen that site before - I can't believe what they have there!

Anatoly, roll your sleeves up and dig into these free Philharmonia samples - I just auditioned some string harmonic samples - It would be a lot of work, as Fab said, but could be worth it.

Meanwhile - Your Bach piece sounds lovely using these samples, Fab--wow--Thanks for all of this!

Randy
    Well, Randy, in my humblest opinion you could as well remove that "could". It is definitely worth it. It is only time consuming, unfortunately.
    I have only "completed" the solo violin, that came out with two octaves of key switches for all the different artiiculations and with a consistent number of the programs being round robin ones.
    The Adagio from the 1043 sounds quite neat, yes, but that's an easy one to render, it would work fine with any library.
    The problems with samples occur when you have tight phrasing and complicated passages in which different techniques are needed and lot of "color" is required. Listen to these two. Not bad at all, in my opinion:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/kmPUhNv...e_extract.html
    http://www.4shared.com/audio/Uw5EVVrU/Estro_522a.html (here, 2 of the four violins are not from Philarmonia).

Or, if you are interested, dig in my older messages, I posted some more renderings in a thread in the "general" section of the forum.
    This is Garritan's section, though, and here we are OT. Netiquette is so frustrating, but that's how things works and I fully understand. so ... fullstop.

Fab

Go Back to forum