• Register
  • Help

Topic: vst expression maps

Share/Bookmark

vst expression maps

Could someone please point me in the right direction for finding more VST expression maps for GPO. I have a limited number (10) with my application, but am assuming there must be more - for woodwinds, for example.

... thanks!

Re: vst expression maps

Well, Henry, your question has languished here on the board, and I take that to mean that not many of us have much if any experience with VST Expression Maps. I know I've never dealt with them.

VST Expression Maps are used in Cubase, right? Most of us here either use Cakewalk/Sonar and/or notation programs like Sibelius and Finale.

So - I have no info for you. I'm curious to know how the GPO maps that you have help you out though.

EDIT: I got curious--vaguely remembering that in the Aria program folder, there's a sub-folder of VST Expression Maps. There are 10 there - The ones you already have. I think that's it- they wouldn't be anywhere else. I suppose users may have developed their own, but I've never noticed any being posted.

Randy

Randy, thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my query. Well, I use VST expression maps when writing and editing midi from within Cubase. VST expression maps can control, in a visually-simple way, the articulations of an instrument, so instead of using complicated codes one can simply mark a note or a series of notes and write ff - for example.

These days I am very pleased to be writing more using Sibelius rather than inputting midi via Cubase
    Best wishes, Henry
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Thanks for the reply, Henry - Ah yes, of course - it's been so long since I'd read about Expression Maps, I'd forgotten what they were for. They're like the utilities in notation programs like Finale and Sibelius which translate text commands to MIDI commands an instrument understands -i.e. "play pizz now" "play really loud then suddenly get softer"--etc.

For me, since I'm working in DAW software, Sonar, I really want my own hands-on control over all those elements - I don't want to give up the fine, detailed control I can achieve manually. I'll leave that sort of playback automation for notation programs where it's needed to get anything but robotic playback. It sounds like you're using Cubase more like a notation program than a recording program - so the expression maps are needed. I think I understand.

Thanks for explaining more to me.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by henrymorris View Post
    Randy, thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my query. Well, I use VST expression maps when writing and editing midi from within Cubase. VST expression maps can control, in a visually-simple way, the articulations of an instrument, so instead of using complicated codes one can simply mark a note or a series of notes and write ff - for example.

These days I am very pleased to be writing more using Sibelius rather than inputting midi via Cubase
    Best wishes, Henry

Go Back to forum