• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need a Banjo for Aria? Got one for ya!

Share/Bookmark

Need a Banjo for Aria? Got one for ya!

There's a nice one of these in the great Garritan World Library.

But, if you don't have World yet, or you do and would like an additional/alternate instrument - I put one together for you.

ANOTHER BANJO FOR ARIA

Click on that text and you'll get to a Zip file. Unzip it in a logical place on your hard drive. You'll have the Banjo sample set and the SFZ file that controls them. Keep all of that together in one folder.

In Aria, go to load an instrument and use the Import option. In the browser that opens, go to where you parked the Banjo folder, and click on the SFZ file.

Voila- The instrument loads and is ready to be played.

There are two velocity layers, with a value of 80 as the split point. Any velocity above 80 will play the louder samples, below that triggers the softer ones. Of course you still have the complete range of volume of 0 to 127, depending on your velocity values.

These are from the collection of free instrument samples hosted by the Philharmonia Orchestra. Forum member "Sec 2 - Fab" mentioned that great site on another current thread about string harmonics. I'd never heard of this before - Went there and was amazed.

As a test, I used the simplest instrument in the list - the Banjo. Now that I know what to do, I'll experiment with making SFZ instruments with some of the other samples available there.

Note that besides Aria, there are other samplers that use the SFZ format, like Cakewalk's Dimension Pro.

What Philharmonia has to offer is potentially a really nice compliment to what we already have in the Garritan Libraries, so I'm glad Fab told us about it!

Randy

Re: Need a Banjo for Aria? Got one for ya!

Thanks Randy!

If any of you are familiar with the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra project (I know it's popped up on this board earlier in the year), I know it uses Philharmonia Orchestra samples in there, though I'm not sure which ones are used where and which may come from other sources. I started playing around with combining the multiple patches into keyswitched sets (it's also in sfz format, and seems to behave well with Aria), though didn't get too far due to busyness with other things... but I think that's on his to-do list for the next release as well, whenever that may be!

Anyhow, they've got quite the collection of samples on the Philharmonia Orchestra site, though it definitely takes some work to set them up, so thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Am I the only one who read this as 'viola'? :P

(Also on the SSO page in the credits are listed where all the samples come from, so there are probably some other free sample sets people may be interested in looking at too. The OLPC collection is particularly interesting looking...)

[Edited: too many times, keep on adding information]
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Thanks Randy!

If any of you are familiar with the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra project (I know it's popped up on this board earlier in the year), I know it uses Philharmonia Orchestra samples...
    AH yes, Matt - Thanks for the reminder about Sonatina. I changed computers a few months ago, and on one of my external drive, I still have things I've been intending to rope back into use - and now, because of your post, I remember that the Sonatina collection is one of the things I've been wanting to get at. I grabbed those when the info was posted here in General Discussion.

I just need to get those samples visible to Dimension Pro, which would be cool, since Dim Pro has so many editing options available. I can already import Sonatina into Aria. It's a bit raw, that collection, but still a very valuable addition to anyone's arsenal.

Glad you like seeing this Banjo in SFZ format - It was just an experiment to see what all would be involved with making the Philharmonia samples into something usable. It's been quite awhile since I've done anything with SFZ, I've only dabbled before, like when I recorded and assembled the "Kitchen Sink" percussion samples that I posted here in General Discussion last year.

Earlier tonight I started trying to do something with the Philharmonia string harmonic samples - I made a good start, but it's a much more involved project since those samples need to be looped. I'm finding that quite a few of the samples are very raw, varying pitch, unexpected swoops up to different notes at the end etc. I doubt if I'll make something from them that's completely satisfactory, since I'm just a tinkerer with this - But I'll do more, and post the results when and if I have something of possible use. If I'm happy enough with the violin harmonic set, I'll eventually try to do those for the other strings also.

Thanks again for your memory jogging post about Sonatina!

Randy

thanks Randy! i will try it asap
    Marcelo Colina

Randy,
    I just checked out the "World Instruments" pkg...you did such an excellent job on the demos I want to get it.
    Are there ever any promo coupons sent out and if so would I be on the mailing list if I have registered GPO full?

I thought is was a banjo
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    That just made me do a spit take

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Randy,
    I just checked out the "World Instruments" pkg...you did such an excellent job on the demos I want to get it.
    Are there ever any promo coupons sent out and if so would I be on the mailing list if I have registered GPO full?
    That's great, GRB53 - You're going to love World. Glad the demos worked for you!

I'm not aware of a promo coupon for the purchase, let me see if I can find out about that for you.

hehe--Buckshead and Reberclark - funny posts.

Randy

I'm not aware of a promo coupon for the purchase, let me see if I can find out about that for you.

I had just noticed a place to enter a "promo code" when buying and realized I never get emails (even though I registered my GPO full) and wondering where one might get one of these discounts.
    Thanks,
    Randy

Go Back to forum