• Register
  • Help

Topic: no sound in sonar x1

Share/Bookmark

problems with GPO in Sonar X1

Poking around in the interface I hear no difference tinkering around with "Ambience".
    And every time I open the interface I get "your copy is not activated do you want to downlad your activation keycard" after I've done it twice.

My sustain pedal doesn't work either in GPO but it does with other synths...what's weird is I can see it being depressed in GPO mixer but doesn't sustain.
    Thanks very much,
    Randy

Re: problems with GPO in Sonar X1

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Poking around in the interface I hear no difference tinkering around with "Ambience".
    And every time I open the interface I get "your copy is not activated do you want to downlad your activation keycard" after I've done it twice.

My sustain pedal doesn't work either in GPO but it does with other synths...what's weird is I can see it being depressed in GPO mixer but doesn't sustain.
    Thanks very much,
    Randy
    Hello, Randy - Randy here.--- is there an echo in here? Randy!--Randy-randy-randy--

Meanwhile - Ambience is the name of the reverb unit in Aria. By default it's on, but on the first, main part of Aria's GUI, you need to use the Send pots on the channel strips. Those Send knobs determine how much signal from each slot goes into the reverb unit.

Recommendation - Since you're using Sonar, you have a lot of other reverberation choices. You need to experiment with those. Just have the dry Aria/GPO signal going into your Sonar tracks, and use Reverb there. One disadvantage of using Ambience in Aria is that the wet/processed signal for all 16 tracks all come out of just track one - it can be confusing.

BUT, I see you're not quite there yet - You need to go to the Garritan Biz site, send a message to Support, and explain that your activation card isn't working. That's come up several times before. They're the only ones who can fix that for you. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Sustain - Look through the GPO manual for info on Sustain/MIDI Controller #64. For many instruments in GPO, it's used differently than in most MIDI modules. --That'll get you started.

Randy - Later Randy randy randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Randy - Randy here.--- is there an echo in here? Randy!--Randy-randy-randy--

Meanwhile - Ambience is the name of the reverb unit in Aria. By default it's on, but on the first, main part of Aria's GUI, you need to use the Send pots on the channel strips. Those Send knobs determine how much signal from each slot goes into the reverb unit.

Recommendation - Since you're using Sonar, you have a lot of other reverberation choices. You need to experiment with those. Just have the dry Aria/GPO signal going into your Sonar tracks, and use Reverb there. One disadvantage of using Ambience in Aria is that the wet/processed signal for all 16 tracks all come out of just track one - it can be confusing.

BUT, I see you're not quite there yet - You need to go to the Garritan Biz site, send a message to Support, and explain that your activation card isn't working. That's come up several times before. They're the only ones who can fix that for you. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Sustain - Look through the GPO manual for info on Sustain/MIDI Controller #64. For many instruments in GPO, it's used differently than in most MIDI modules. --That'll get you started.

Randy - Later Randy randy randy
    Re: activation card-I was Dragging it from the image on the website and it appeared to be working (adding the plus sign (+)) but asked for it again when re-opening. I saved the image to a hard drive before dragging and it worked...yay!

Re: reverb- thanks, the send adjustment makes it work

Re sustain pedal- I found the following in the manual:
    Legato Controller CC# 64 – Legato
    This controller is used to create legato lines. You can use and external sustain pedal to control
    the legato function or it can be entered in your sequencer by hand. Pedal up (CC64 0-63) is
    detache, pedal down (CC64 64-127) for legato. Alternatively, you could use the Auto-Legato feature.

...and lots of other references to it being related to legato. I tried several instruments and it is like my sustain pedal isn't plugged in (even though I see it activate the far-right GUI graphic of the pedals)
    One more question please: How do I make sure I have the latest version installed?
    Hovering over the .exe I installed it states file version 1.0.0.3...am I good?
    Thanks Mr. Bowser,
    Mr. Brown : )

...I tried several instruments and it is like my sustain pedal isn't plugged in (even though I see it activate the far-right GUI graphic of the pedals)
    One more question please: How do I make sure I have the latest version installed?...
    Thanks Mr. Bowser,
    Mr. Brown : )
    Ah, Mr. Brown - Good, less confusing to use last names.

Thanks for letting us know you got the activation card to work. I want to remember that if it comes up again for someone else- that dragging from the site didn't work.

And you have your reverb going on, good.

Now, for the sustain pedal. Yes, you found in the manual where the special Garritan Legato is triggered by MIDI Controller #1 - the Sustain Pedal.

But I suspect you're not quite understanding that with this unique programming done by the Garritan developers, regular sustain doesn't happen when you use your pedal - it engages Legato. That programming truncates the starting portion of samples after the first note in a Legato line. The manual has an illustration of that. Notes aren't sustained in the usual way for most Garritan instruments.

If you're using the GPO Steinway, your pedal will sustain in the normal way. Have you tested that instrument yet? Let us know.

Randy

Re: no sound in sonar x1

...But I suspect you're not quite understanding that with this unique programming done by the Garritan developers,....
    You are quite right, it works as expected using the pianos.
    I have been away from GPO (and music in general) for some time now.
    <confession>During that period I discovered I wasn't happy/content with my life and after watching lots of Oprah-Lifeclass' (I always found Oprah way to girly for me but really found these new Oprah's very inspiring after my wife made me watch the first one) I recently decided I have to get back into this...In fact I will be going back to school this Spring semester to retake theory and composition</confession>.
    I've been thinking if I'm going to get serious I need EWQL or something but after seeing the following I've decided I need to learn GPO...it has everything I need at least for now.http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...=154&Itemid=54
    Thanks very much sir,
    Randy

Re: no sound in sonar x1

Excellent, Mr. Brown - Glad the mystery of the sustain pedal was straightened out.

And I really hope Gary sees your post. To provide an affordable way for people like you to get into home recording is exactly what inspired him to create GPO.

GPO does indeed have everything you need - and probably for longer than "at least for now." I've been using GPO for 5 years, and it's still what I primarily use. Many of here use the Garritan Libraries almost exclusively in our work.

Have a great time, and come back here to the Forum often!

The Other Randy

...But I suspect you're not quite understanding that with this unique programming done by the Garritan developers,....
    You are quite right, it works as expected using the pianos.
    I have been away from GPO (and music in general) for some time now.
    <confession>During that period I discovered I wasn't happy/content with my life and after watching lots of Oprah-Lifeclass' (I always found Oprah way to girly for me but really found these new Oprah's very inspiring after my wife made me watch the first one) I recently decided I have to get back into this...In fact I will be going back to school this Spring semester to retake theory and composition</confession>.
    I've been thinking if I'm going to get serious I need EWQL or something but after seeing the following I've decided I need to learn GPO...it has everything I need at least for now.http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...=154&Itemid=54
    Thanks very much sir,
    Randy

Go Back to forum