• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Acoustic Guitar Pieces Nos 10 -15

Share/Bookmark

Smile Acoustic Guitar Pieces Nos 10 -15

I hope you will enjoy the next 6 short guitar pieces.

No.10 in G minor. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959117

No.11 in B minor. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959125

No.12 in F minor. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959141

No.13 in C minor. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959153

No.14 in B major. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959159

No.15 in G major http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959240

As usual, comments would be most welcome. Enjoy, Antony

If you wish to hear more of my music, please visit -

www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

Re: Acoustic Guitar Pieces Nos 10 -15

well, the middle section of No10 has a nice folksong-like quality to it. I like the outer sections very much, but there are a few spots where it sounds a tiny bit too repetitive harmonically. That said, I LIKE the tonality of it, with a few extra "not-quite-right" notes, it's very colourful.

the opening of No11 reminds me of some Debussy.. the parallel chords. I really didn't care for the waltz-like middle section. I felt it was too drastically different harmonically from the framing sections. I loved the outer parts.

there's something that doesn't work for me in No12. I REALLY love the chords in it... but that meandering solo melody feels weak, somehow.

heheh the inevitable tremolo étude! I like No13. It sounds like something I'd want to learn to play... but I suspect it's a tiny bit beyond my meager guitar playing talents. (I'm a FAR better pianist). A shame it's so SHORT!

No14 has an interesting basic idea. I'd love to see the score.. because there are little moments in the framing sections that strike me as odd. It goes by a bit too fast for me to pinpoint, but it sounds like some parallel octaves or something.

Hmmm, I was really liking No15, until 30 seconds in it suddenly stops.... that total brake on the movement doesn't work for me. It goes from relatively rapid 16ths to totally stagnant quarters. I feel there could have been another way of creating the "slowing down" effect without actually stopping the forward movement.

Overall very enjoyable short works. I might have liked to see a bit more stretching of form... as it is, they are almost all A-B-A, with literal repeats of the A section. Even in short-form, it is possible to expand on structure and create more interest.

Are you a guitarist?

Antony,

I did enjoy these 6 pieces very much. A nice variety of feelings/moods amongst them. I missed the first 9 pieces. Is there a link for them and is it still active? Very much would like to hear them and to hear how they vary from your present collection of six.

Can't tell you which was my favorite. I enjoyed each for different reasons. After I've heard them a few more times I'll probably hone in on a couple as favorites, but really, they're all quite delightful. Don't know how big this collection will be, but I'm looking forward to the next set.

Thanks for sharing; I don't get to hear solo acoustic guitar that often.

Cass

For me: no. 10 / no. 11 / no 13 / no. 15 the beginning.

Same question as Michel. Are you a guitarist?

Raymond

Antony! This is great - Super rare to have solo guitar pieces posted here. Did you post the first set of these here in The Listening Room?

In such a brief time, counting all six pieces, so many different moods flitted across that virtual fret board. Some truly gorgeous voicings sprinkled liberally throughout.

I enjoyed these very much - Thank you for the music!

Randy

Antony. I liked your guitar pieces. The time signature and tempo changes in #11 were interesting. Your #13 sounds like it would be a pretty difficult piece to perform. I did like it. I got a little lost in #14. It seemed to wonder just a bit. I very much liked #15, particularly the beginning counterpoint and its repeat later in the song.

I always enjoy classical guitar pieces. I remember your earlier post a while back. This is a nice addition to your collection.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    well, the middle section of No10 has a nice folksong-like quality to it. I like the outer sections very much, but there are a few spots where it sounds a tiny bit too repetitive harmonically. That said, I LIKE the tonality of it, with a few extra "not-quite-right" notes, it's very colourful.

the opening of No11 reminds me of some Debussy.. the parallel chords. I really didn't care for the waltz-like middle section. I felt it was too drastically different harmonically from the framing sections. I loved the outer parts.

there's something that doesn't work for me in No12. I REALLY love the chords in it... but that meandering solo melody feels weak, somehow.

heheh the inevitable tremolo étude! I like No13. It sounds like something I'd want to learn to play... but I suspect it's a tiny bit beyond my meager guitar playing talents. (I'm a FAR better pianist). A shame it's so SHORT!

No14 has an interesting basic idea. I'd love to see the score.. because there are little moments in the framing sections that strike me as odd. It goes by a bit too fast for me to pinpoint, but it sounds like some parallel octaves or something.

Hmmm, I was really liking No15, until 30 seconds in it suddenly stops.... that total brake on the movement doesn't work for me. It goes from relatively rapid 16ths to totally stagnant quarters. I feel there could have been another way of creating the "slowing down" effect without actually stopping the forward movement.

Overall very enjoyable short works. I might have liked to see a bit more stretching of form... as it is, they are almost all A-B-A, with literal repeats of the A section. Even in short-form, it is possible to expand on structure and create more interest.

Are you a guitarist?
    Thank you very much indeed for the time you spent listening to my guitar pieces. I have carefully noted your helpful comments ! No I am not a guitarist. My inspiration to write the pieces came from the fact that,in the summer of 2010, my French daughter-in-law had just started to learn the instrument, and on returning home from visiting, I started to compose. I could'nt stop and ended up with 16 short pieces. The first 4 are on page 2 of the 'Listening Room', and another 6 will follow, making 16 in all.

I tried to listen to your 'orchestrated adagio' 11-08-11 and 'petite sonate 11-06-11 but could not start them, after several attempts.

I succeeded with 'AMATERASU' and thought it fabulous ! It reminded me of the final minute of Stravinsky's 'Firebird' .

Thanks once again for your comments, all the best, Antony

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Antony,

I did enjoy these 6 pieces very much. A nice variety of feelings/moods amongst them. I missed the first 9 pieces. Is there a link for them and is it still active? Very much would like to hear them and to hear how they vary from your present collection of six.

Can't tell you which was my favorite. I enjoyed each for different reasons. After I've heard them a few more times I'll probably hone in on a couple as favorites, but really, they're all quite delightful. Don't know how big this collection will be, but I'm looking forward to the next set.

Thanks for sharing; I don't get to hear solo acoustic guitar that often.

Cass
    Hi Cass,
    Thank you for your comments ! I am very pleased that you enjoyed them.The first 4 pieces are on Listening Room, bottom of page 2. I hope you enjoy them also. The final 6 will be threaded later. Best wishes, Antony

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    For me: no. 10 / no. 11 / no 13 / no. 15 the beginning.

Same question as Michel. Are you a guitarist?

Raymond
    Hi Raymond, Thank you for taking the time to tell me that you liked some of the pieces.

No, I am not a Guitarist, but very much enjoyed writing for this most sensitive instrument. All the best, Antony

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Antony! This is great - Super rare to have solo guitar pieces posted here. Did you post the first set of these here in The Listening Room?

In such a brief time, counting all six pieces, so many different moods flitted across that virtual fret board. Some truly gorgeous voicings sprinkled liberally throughout.

I enjoyed these very much - Thank you for the music!

Randy
    Hi Randy,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the guitar pieces. The first set of 4 are in the 'Listening Room', bottom of page 2. The final 6 will be posted later.

I composed all the pieces in response to my French daughter-in-law taking up the classical guitar. Once started, I could not stop, as the instrument offers such opportunities to a sentimental old thing like me !

All the best, Antony

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast