• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interested in purchasing JABB for Band in a Box, questions..

Share/Bookmark

Interested in purchasing JABB for Band in a Box, questions..

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing JABB for use with Band in a Box. Needless to say, I'm very impressed with the sound demos I heard on the Garritan website. The immediate question that came to my mind is what program was used to generate those demos? Can I expect that the instruments will sound the same in Band in a Box as they do on these demos? Also, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit - any issue?

I'm not interested in using any of the real tracks features in BIAB, just want to stick with regular general midi and I'll render the finished track to a wav file for its ultimate use.

Is there somewhere I can perhaps hear some band in a box tracks that were created using only Garritan JABB?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Interested in purchasing JABB for Band in a Box, questions..

I use both on windows 64 bit (but BIAB is 32-bit really so the VSTs from JABB are 32-bit as well) and they work great. So, I think I can explain a few things and let you hear a few things. There is good news, and some OK news when it comes to JABB and Band In A Box. In general, you can make a lot of really nice stuff using these two packages together. The real limitation is that BIAB "thinks" of every VST as a GM/GM2 MIDI device, so the special purpose controls you get with JABB really are not leveraged; there will always be "something left on the table" with respect to dynamics, etc. However, some of the more tedious things like drums, bass lines, and guitar strumming are nicely done via BIAB.

How I over come some of the above limitations is to do most of my BIAB oriented things in BIAB, and when I am "happy" I use the DAW plugin mode to copy the specific MIDI tracks over to a DAW (I use Sonar, but you can use RealBand just as well) to change to "rendering" mode for my editing. Then I add more of the dynamics, etc to produce a rendering to taste including all of the compression, reverb, EQ, dynamics, etc.

I did a "bossa" piece called Estate you can find the link for here. I also plan to post (very soon) a "quick render" of the nice banjo SFZ that was recently submitted; this uses BIAB as well.

As an intermediate step, you can make JABB-aware patterns and styles that know how to use of the dynamics, but I have not done that yet; it is an experiment that may or may not work.

In summary, I recommend both packages highly. Hope this helps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in purchasing JABB for use with Band in a Box. Needless to say, I'm very impressed with the sound demos I heard on the Garritan website. The immediate question that came to my mind is what program was used to generate those demos? Can I expect that the instruments will sound the same in Band in a Box as they do on these demos? Also, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit - any issue?

I'm not interested in using any of the real tracks features in BIAB, just want to stick with regular general midi and I'll render the finished track to a wav file for its ultimate use.

Is there somewhere I can perhaps hear some band in a box tracks that were created using only Garritan JABB?

Thanks in advance!

I posted an All Band In The Box / JABB called Tribute to RBowser for Banjo!!!!

This is a nearly unedited set of MIDI tracks from Band In A Box but I did add my own reverb and compression in Sonar.

Hi, thank you for the replies.. We've decided to stick with a hardware sound module for band in a box instead of a soft synth..

Go Back to forum