• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Steinway Virtual Midi Drivers - help needed!

Garritan Steinway Virtual Midi Drivers - help needed!

Hi All,

I'm trying to hook up Garritan Steinway with my notation software (Noteworthy Composer 2) and I understand that I need a separate program to do this.

By googling this a couple of forum threads here came up, but looked to be several years old with links that don't work any more. It looks like there was a program called "Garritan Steinway Virtual MIDI Port 3.5" which was a dedicated program for just this thing. Is this what I need? Or is there an easier way to do this?

I'm a noob, and couldn't find a way to do it despite my best attempts

Help is much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Re: Garritan Steinway Virtual Midi Drivers - help needed!

Welcome Paul. Glad you found your way here.

I don't know anything about Garritan specific virtual midi drivers, but here are a couple you can check out:

http://maplemidi.com/Maple_driver.html (32-bit only)

Now here's a tutorial created by someone who works for another notation software company but it's a good tutorial on how to install a virtual midi cable. So the instructions should be very helpful to you although of course how to configure your software application to use it will differ.

EDIT: now that I watch this video again, it contains everything you'll need to know. It's very good.

Hope this helps you.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Alberta, Canada

There's a few ways you can go about this, but basically there are two things you will need to have to hook up Noteworthy to any VST instrument (such as the Aria player for the Garritan Steinway, or Kontakt, or whatever).

1. You will need a virtual MIDI 'cable', which will let you connect one program to another (such as Noteworthy to VSThost).

There are a few of them out there which I have used:

LoopBe1 - free version only has one virtual port. If you won't be going over 16 channels, it will suffice. If you will need more than 16 channels though, then you'll have to go to LoopBe30 (which is about $20-ish), or try another option. I have only used the free version, and only under Windows XP, and occasionally it would decide to stop working for me (and could only be resolved by rebooting the system), so I ended up looking for a different solution.

MidiYoke - provides 16 virtual ports if needed. Used this back when I was on Windows XP; will install in Vista/Win7, but you'll have to disable User Account Control to get it working, and doesn't seem to work with 64-bit apps (will install in 64-bit Vista/Win7, but only 32-bit apps will see it). Worked well for me, but I gave it up when I replaced my Windows XP system.

loopMIDI - is the one I'm using these days. You'll have to create and name the virtual ports in its setup screen once you've installed the program, but once they're set up you won't have to fiddle with them anymore and other programs can use them.

Maple Virtual Midi Cable as suggested by swinkler, I have not tried, so I can't give any opinions on it.

2. You may want/need a VST host program.

VSTHost - I used for a short time, so I can't say that I'm too familiar with it, but it is free and does the job. Might be a good option for a place to start so you can fiddle with things and figure stuff out before moving to something fancier.

Most sequencers these days will host VST's, so there's a lot of choices out there. I'm using Reaper myself, but there are many options depending on one's tastes, feature requirements, and budget.

Basically, you'll need to go into Noteworthy's options and set its MIDI playback device(s) to be the virtual midi cable (ie. the loopbe, loopmidi, or whichever you have decided to use) -- make sure you include all the extra ports there if you plan on going over the 16 channels which a single port will provide, and then in the host program, load up the ARIA player VST instrument, and set its MIDI input to be the same virtual midi cable.

Now, ARIA player can run in standalone mode instead of as a VSTi (which means you won't require a host program), and you can set it up in its options to receive its MIDI input from the virtual midi cable as well, which is fine for playback, but you lose out on the flexibility of being able to load and control various different VST instruments at a time (and then there are other VST instruments which may not provide a standalone mode).

A few tutorials which I had bookmarked from back when which may help explain things further:

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Vst, and read the 'VST for Dummies Like me' PDF.

They describe how to get VSTSynthFont working with Noteworthy, but the principle is the same; you just load up ARIA player for the Garritan Steinway instead of loading VSTSynthFont.

Hope this helps!
    -- Matt Wong

Many thanks for both of these replies. They have been immensely helpful.

Wow it is a lot easier than I thought to set it all up. I used the loop program as this can maintain a 64-bit link between Noteworthy Composer and Garritan Steinway.

The devil is in the detail now, and I'll have fun tweaking all the settings in Garritan!

Thanks again, I am grateful.

Go Back to forum