• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Music of Juan Vasquez (Spanish 1500-1560) with animation of Castle Penafielt in storm

Share/Bookmark

Music of Juan Vasquez (Spanish 1500-1560) with animation of Castle Penafielt in storm

Hello;
    Here is my recently created animation of Spanish "Castle Penafiel", during a violent thunderstorm. This castle was begun in the 10th century, but the turrets and towers were not added until around 1500. The music is by Juan Vásquez (c. 1500, Badajoz - c.1560, Seville). He was a Spanish priest and composer of the Renaissance. The piece used is my arrangement for Brass and Drums of his "Dizen a mí que los amores é".
    The music came to me in the form of a midi file in the regular SATB 4 voice configuration, which I like. If you give the parts to other types of instrument, the meaning of the thing shifts. But here, I think it sounds appropriately courageous and full of resolve.
    The only thing is, I do have the sound of thunder throughout, although the music can be heard quite clearly.

Thank you and take care!
    sd cisco

http://youtu.be/TI6WjUYm8ts

Re: Music of Juan Vasquez (Spanish 1500-1560) with animation of Castle Penafielt in s

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Re: Music of Juan Vasquez (Spanish 1500-1560) with animation of Castle Penafielt in s

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Great work there SD!
    Been enjoying these video animation productions of yours.
    This short seems fitting to the music... liked the castle and slow walk-thru.

Who are the people?

M
    hi there Michael and thank you for watching, listening and commenting!!!
    As to the people; in my other castle short called Spanish Castle, I put some men in the guard towers, first just to look like somebody was on the Night Shift, but also to experiment with a thing the software does which causes a character to look directly at the camera in play, no matter where it may turn or travel, as on a dolly. So, I thought it might give a sense of things military, if I had all these guards standing there, on duty and in the middle of the night, staring at the intruder, who seemed immune from the effects of gravity. After using them in the first castle clip, I decided I should use some again, to again allude to military duty, by sticking to your post, even in inclement weather. I like these castles and my world traveler bro has been to Castle Penafiel and reports it is indeed atop a very steep and high, outcropping of rock. A long road with many switch-backs leads to the base of the fortress. And the music of Juan Vasquez is of the period immediately following the addition of the turrets and I correctly used the Cross of Burgundy flag, as it came into general use in Spain at that time. This the result of a marriage between a princess from Burgundy and an Austrian Archduke. He liked the standard St. John's cross, but, in honour of the excellent archers from the same region of Spain, the Archduke had a new flag created, where the bars of the cross run diagonally, as in the Confederate flag, and are actually made up of a series of arrowheads, all pointing inward, go figure!
    Take care,
    .S.

What an entertainment! Completely, absolutely entertaining - wow, Sd. Love the animation as well as the music.

The SATB arrangement sounds great in its instrumental setting - Beautiful.

Big round of applause, and a hearty thank you!

Randy

I enjoyed your animation, sd. I think the arrangement of the music sounds great and fits the castle scene. No R-Rated sections, though... I guess your "model" didn't want to catch cold in the rain...
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What an entertainment! Completely, absolutely entertaining - wow, Sd. Love the animation as well as the music.

The SATB arrangement sounds great in its instrumental setting - Beautiful.

Big round of applause, and a hearty thank you!

Randy
    Randy, thanks buddy!! I am not sure how well known this music is, and even if it were, would it be recognizable in this arrangement? You'd be surprised perhaps how these simple 4 part ditties with no instructions or voice suggestions lend themselves to a variety of different treatments. I think one reason I gravitate towards early music is that there was a paucity of it available when I was a kid. Now you have much more available, either prerecorded or do-it-yourself. However I find the latest version of iclone a tad buggy and am anxiously awaiting a patch to address the known issues, which are quite i-nnoying!!

But I love creating these animations and enjoy immersing myself in the possibilities, and they are obviously numerous.

.S.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I enjoyed your animation, sd. I think the arrangement of the music sounds great and fits the castle scene. No R-Rated sections, though... I guess your "model" didn't want to catch cold in the rain...
    Ha! Ha! actually they never catch cold and can't sue me either! Back in 2001 I created my first animation (Glory Girl) which featured a human model. Because I hated everything they had for her to wear, I rendered her buck-neked and that was the first animated film I was able to get featured, for a couple of weeks, on ifilm, which was a sort of forerunner in on line film like you tube. Only back in those days, you didn't upload it to them, they insisted on a dv-video tape be sent to them down in LA, then they would do the processing and put it on their website and it cost like $40 or $50 to have it on. How things have changed!
    Thank you,
    .S.

Very nicely done, SD. What animation software are you using? May I suggest that when making a turn as you did at the top of the stairs to turn the camera a second or two before the actual direction of travel changes. I gives the audience a moment of anticipation that adds to the realism.

Really very nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Very nicely done, SD. What animation software are you using? May I suggest that when making a turn as you did at the top of the stairs to turn the camera a second or two before the actual direction of travel changes. I gives the audience a moment of anticipation that adds to the realism.

Really very nicely done.
    Hello Tom and thank you very much indeed! I am using Reallusion iclone PRO ver 4 and 5. I have only used this particular animation software for a period of a few months and am still getting my "legs", so to speak. The best thing about the software is that you have a realtime preview of what you are doing, something that wasn't possible so much in the animations apps I used 10 years ago. Clearly though, it is great fun to pair up animations with music and I look forward to more complex story telling, longer films, more musical variety and so on, lots of fun - lots of work, too!!
    .S.

Very nice - the only thing missing I think is some stone textures for the castle. Looks like it needs to be skinned.

The music suits perfectly too, very medievil. I'm currently playing a game, Elder Scrolls Skyrim and the music reminded me of that when I was walking around similar castles within the game.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast