• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A song from my new show "Tom Sawyer"

Share/Bookmark

A song from my new show "Tom Sawyer"

WHITEWASH
    (click picture for MP3 link)

Following Tom's song, “I Can Hardly Wait,” he tricks a friend into paying him with an apple and a brass door knocker for the privilege of doing Tom's fence painting job. Sitting in the shade and smugly chomping on the apple, Tom congratulates himself for being so clever.

Throughout the song more boys come by and join the fence painting party, each dutifully paying Tom with whatever they have with them – marbles, a kite, a yo-yo, a dead rat tied to a string,—all the coveted treasures a boy could wish for.

They all sing, dance, throw whitewash over each other (confetti, for those concerned about the mess on stage!) – and then make a mad dash for the nearby swimmin' hole when their work is done.

IMPORTANT CAVEAT:
    It's another Song, folks. Nothing sophisticated. Maybe a slightly unexpected key change, but otherwise, an oft-repeated refrain, a simple, steady beat, just a Song.

In the opening there are touches of Gospel and Blues before it settles into the theatricalized country feeling of the main part of the tune. There are some jazz touches to the middle section also.

One of the things I had fun doing in this is use a Cakewalk Wah-Wah effect on two Trombones from JABB. You'll hear that during the opening.

This uses a combination of sound sources, but as with everything I do, the Garritan Libraries are prominently used:

The Garritan Stradivari
    (the violin library, not the solo Stradavari in GPO)
    Fiddle from WORLD
    Piano from JABB
    Accordion from JABB
    Banjo from WORLD
    Washboard from WORLD
    2 Trombones from JABB
    Jaw Harp from WORLD – which is a really neat collection of various Jaw Harp articulations.

For those interested in finding new ways to arrive at sounds, the hand claps in this were made from a recording of a group of people stomping. I pitched the clip up, and triggered it with Sonar's Drop Zone. The sound was found at a fantastic sound effect site, Freesound– an online collective where members create and post a huge variety of field recordings.

Randy

Re: A song from my new show "Tom Sawyer"

hehehe, it sort of reminded me of a song one might hear in a Muppets film.

it has that "fun" feeling to it.

still, not quite my style

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    hehehe, it sort of reminded me of a song one might hear in a Muppets film.

it has that "fun" feeling to it.

still, not quite my style
    Ha! The Muppets - I love it. Maybe that's due to my Kermit-like vocals.

No, actually that's a nifty comparison. The Muppets--that's about the age group this is aimed at, at least the lower end of the intended audience.

Michel, I'm really rather touched that you made yourself a vocal participant on this thread, instead of being another silent never-responding listener. This is So not your style, it might as well be from the dark side of the moon compared to what you compose and enjoy hearing. It's My style - at least, my style for this particular project. I enjoy being a musical Chameleon I think.

Really sweet of you to write the post - Thanks, my friend up north.

Randy

What I have to say about this is "it's just plain fun".

Stylistically I lean more towards your "Dorian", but this is fun, particularly given your audience. And yes, I do see what Michel is talking about with the Muppets - I think it's what you call the "theatrical country" feel.

It was nice hearing another entertaining piece from your new show.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hey Randy! I hear the more simplified requirements that you have for this play. This song and the previous one that you posted are fun to listen to. I admit that I had trouble relating to the first song though, but that's just me. For some reason I feel like playin' hooky, grabbin' a licorice stick and meetin' Huck down at the fishin' hole.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    What I have to say about this is "it's just plain fun".

Stylistically I lean more towards your "Dorian", but this is fun, particularly given your audience. And yes, I do see what Michel is talking about with the Muppets - I think it's what you call the "theatrical country" feel.

It was nice hearing another entertaining piece from your new show.
    Thanks for listening, Trent - That's neat that lyrics from the refrain describe what you wanted to say about the tune.

And thanks also for saying you like my "Dorian." I think all of us here prefer original music which is more complex, more full of musical ideas and interest than simple songs like this. I would want to be remembered for things like "Dorian," over these "Sawyer" numbers.

But I still am happy with, and unapologetic about these Twain Tunes. It's an interesting challenge to work within some very strict limitations, like I was when I wrote these.

I also enjoy coming up with things in a variety of genres. Like it was great fun when I did some instrumental versions of Beatles songs a few years ago. And when I worked with the material in the Garritan World Library last year - that was really fun, trying to get an idea of what was characteristic of the various instruments, listening to recordings from around the world to get in the groove. I just really enjoy making myself work in genres I'm not already comfortable with, pushing myself to be a bit of a "musical Chameleon," like I said in my reply to Michel.

Thanks much, Trent. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to post a response.

Randy

This an original cast recording? :-)

The production is really coming together - again this shows your mastery of the arrangement and how you use the instruments. It sounds very authentic to me.

As the lyrics state - just plain fun.

The intro was great and had me all posied to enjoy a rip roaring building number, perhaps with a telling key change (or two) - but that didn't happen, it didn't finish on the big high (which I built up for myself in my head - as that was just my expectation) but still throughly enoyed it.

Though worlds apart, I keep picturing scenes much akin to Oliver! (such as 'Consider Yourself') when I listen to your songs. Keep em coming!

Regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Nice tune Randy. I enjoyed this on a dreary and cloudy Indiana morning. Nice band you've got there
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Randy! I hear the more simplified requirements that you have for this play. This song and the previous one that you posted are fun to listen to. I admit that I had trouble relating to the first song though, but that's just me. For some reason I feel like playin' hooky, grabbin' a licorice stick and meetin' Huck down at the fishin' hole.
    Jay
    hehehe, thanks for the post, Jay -

I enjoy challenges, and with my music especially. I didn't think at first that I could stay within the strict parameters this particular project called for, but I put my mind to it, and it ended up being my most absorbing project of 2011.

Songs - writing simple songs. Took me back to my early 20's when that was my main preoccupation. Nice to return to those times.

It's cool you've enjoyed these last two tunes, much simpler than the first one. That first "Sawyer" post isn't a song, it's a Broadway style Number, a medley, introducing characters, the plot's starting point etc - all very theatrical. Easy to understand that as a thing unto itself, since it's more complex, and not a song, it's not as immediately accessible as these ditties are.

Always appreciate it when someone takes the time to respond, so thank you, Jay!

Randy

I like it. I assume this is your voice. You mixed in really well as if you were really sung on a stage, though i may venture to say the words sound more as if sung in a smaller room vs. a theatre, which since you probably don't own a theatre isn't really a your fault, though I don't know if there is a way to fix that.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast