• Register
  • Help

Topic: CC64 not working in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

CC64 not working in Sonar

When I draw in cc64 control switches or when I use the sustain pedal on my keyboard the notes are not sustaining, with the exception of the Steinway piano. I have tried it with Flutes and Strings and no luck. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

Re: CC64 not working in Sonar

CC64 does not make instruments sustain except instruments like piano and celeste, it is used for legato mode. It's a very good idea to read the manual so you understand all the controllers.

Jim

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This was in the manual:

3. Sustain Pedal (Legato for Sustain Instruments / Sustain for Percussive
    Instruments)
    Legato—Playing Smoothly and Evenly
    So far, we have focused on aspects of performance that are controlled with your fingers, but an important
    part of your performance comes from your foot. Most keyboards include a sustain pedal.
    Instruments that can play sustained notes (string sustains, woodwinds and brass) use the sustain pedal
    to activate the legato playing techniques."

I must be missing something obvious. The manual also distinguishes between auto legato and cc64 legato. I had the impression that it applied to the instruments referred to above. Apparently I am mistaken. Thanks.

I wasn't clear I don't think. I am looking for a legato effect and when I enter the CC64 control date I don't hear any difference.

What numbers are you entering for CC64? I just use 0 (off) and 127(on).

Jim

Thank you. That is what I am using zero for off and 127 for on.

You are not by any chance using one of the Notation patches, are you? They use CC#68 instead of CC#64 for legato - or at least they used to.

Thank you. I use the "standard" patches and not the "notation" patches. I must be missing something. I'll have to keep on plugging.

The best way to test the legato function is to grab a patch and play a scale at high velocities. Play the scale with the notes connected with and without the pedal. You should hear the notes smooth out with the sustain pedal down. Remember that the legato function basically cuts off the attack portion of the sample.

Jim

I tried this and I think I can hear the difference. It is subtle yet I think it is there. Thank you.

Go Back to forum