• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Post Your Studio Pictures Here

Share/Bookmark

Post Your Studio Pictures Here

OK, I volunteered to start the “Studio Picts” thread…

Moving from writing classical to recording rock I changed my studio setup. I call this the “Rick Wakeman Jr.” setup (if you see any in concert pictures of Yes you will know why).

A few notes – this is 30 years worth of collecting – the old Realistic from the early ‘80s is there and being used. My old Kawai K-5 is there, not being used - I bought this used for next to nothing in about ‘89 – loved it but it is NOISY. When I can afford a new instrument it will go there. The K-5000, also picked up for not much more than most soft-synths today, is being used as my primary controller. Viscount digital piano is used for a control when I’m doing piano & organ sounds. It is also used for coming up with ideas, building harmonies, etc. The Akai is new and underused…. In side by side comparisons I like the soft-synth virtual analog better.

Oh yes, I would have invited you all over for a Halloween barbecue to celebrate the new studio, but I wasn’t sure anybody could get in, given that most streets were blocked by downed trees….

Nothing like 16"+ of new snow at Halloween...
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Post Your Studio Pictures Here

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

NICE! - Thanks for starting the thread, Trent - It's intriguing to see other people's set up. All these pictures are great to see - thanks guys! - With a minimum of to-do, I'll soon take a picture or two and join in.

Randy

Trent,

Nice studio setup!

Talking about Yes - I gave both Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson a demo of GPO at the 2005 Winter NAMM. That was fun!

Jim

Alrighty! Took some shots - And I liked the "no cleaning up allowed!" concept, so here's the real deal. The corner of our home where I spend most of my time. This is my side of the 2nd bedroom that my wife, Kate, and I use for our computer stuff.

Here's the work area, storage spills out on both sides, out of the frame. Things are set up on an "L" shaped glass and grey metal tubing desk. The black box under the sliding computer keyboard tray is my old Roland Super Quartet--one of the first multi-timbral synths produced. I don't use it - just has good vibes on it, so I keep it around.

Closer in, the view I get as I go to my office chair. The left audio monitor can be seen on the left - yeah, that lil' black box there.

To the right of where I sit, my good ol' AKG microphone is always at the ready so I can do my quasi-singing songwriter demos. Below the mike you can see my audio interface with inserted cords from my compressor:

My Cakewalk/Roland A-800 Pro keyboard/control surface, with computer keyboard sliding out from under it. Old boxed sets of records, "Concerts of Great Music" are holding up the left monitor. To the right is a glimpse of a Korg NanoKey:

My mis-matched hand-me-down monitors- Works for me! Usually Sonar's Console on the right, Piano Roll View and/or Track View on the left.

The tower to the new computer I had custom built this year, sitting in the desk's hanging tower frame - Biggest, baddest machine I've ever had - 8 gigs RAM, 6 Core, ridiculous amounts of Terabytes in the tower and in two external drives you can get a glimpse of in the first photos. That M-Audio Expression pedal works great. My little, ancient Sustain pedal can be seen towards the left. More than 20 years old, works great - simple little things:

At the other end of the desk is a matching glass shelf unit that has a number of my old hardware synths on it - some can be seen here. Retro '40's style phone, 3-D glasses from "Avatar" - stuff:

And finally, directly to my left is the laptop I used for music production for just over a year when it started going wonky. I rarely turn it on anymore, sure was nice to have while it lasted. Objects currently in my orbit can be seen - an old stack of floppy discs I'm in the process of investigating (USB floppy drive sitting on top of the tower seen above) - An old pitch pipe, a Kazoo, and my trusty thermos:

AND so, it's like that.

Randy

The old phone, the floppy disks... yep, i see that your equipment is from "The romantic era"...
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    The old phone, the floppy disks... yep, i see that your equipment is from "The romantic era"...
    HA! Good one, Marce.

Randy

Hi Michael - I just pulled most of the equipment out of the closet recently - Before I just had one keyboard in my "studio" and I had to turn around to reach it - OK for reference...

Wow Jim, I'm sure it would have been fun. I guess Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson are touring together now - I missed their show when they were in town only reading a review after the fact.

Hi Randy - Mismatched and/or secondhand equipment is a must for a back-corner studio.... I picked the pictures of my studio that avoided showing the clutter just outside of my little keyboard ring.. Not only do I have boxes of floppies around, I have a lot of cassette tapes (For you younger folk, those where recording media for experiments in white noise and bleed-through)
    Trent P. McDonald

Though I posted this in another thread, here it is again:

Thing I like about the new desk is being able to hide the keyboard controller when I'm not using it. This setup takes care of all my needs.

As I also mentioned, the iMac is old, but with a memory and OS upgrade I hope to make use of it. Anyone have a copy of Digital Performer they'd like to sell?

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum