• Register
  • Help

Topic: Set-up with GPO4 Finale 2011 and Cubase 5

Share/Bookmark

Set-up with GPO4 Finale 2011 and Cubase 5

I am a novice with a 64-bit Windows 7 PC and am using Finale 2011 which uses GPO4 with the Aria Player (I think I'm using the 64-bit version - but the dlls for the x86 also exist in the my folders below). I now am trying to learn Cubase 5. I need to know how to get my GPO4 instruments loaded into Cubase wihout disrupting the GPO4-Aria Player working with Finale 2011. The mapping of my computer folders is confusing and it came about only by following the install directions from Finale and Garritan. I hope this isn't too much info, but here is how the folders are currently stored on my PC.

C:\Program Files\Garritan
    C:\Program Files\Garritan\Aria Player
    C:\Program Files\Garritan\Aria Player\VST
    and other folders in the Aria Player folder called GUI,RTAS,Scales. (Within the \VST folder
    are 4 dlls called ARIA Player MultiVST x64, ARIA Player MultiVST x86, ARIA Player VST
    x64,ARIA Player VST x86 also duplicated in another path below)
    C:\Program Files\Garritan\Instruments for Finale
    C:\Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4 including \Instruments (this is where all the
    GPO4 instruments are located)

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Asio
    C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5

C:\Program Files\vstplugins
    C:\Program Files\vstplugins\Garritan
    and within that folder are 4 dlls called ARIA Player MultiVST x64,
    ARIA Player MultiVST x86, ARIA Player VST x64,ARIA Player VST x86

C:\Program Files (x86)\Finale 2011

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Asio
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\HALion Symphony Orchestra

I have exported a MIDI file from Finale 2011 and successfully imported it into Cubase 5. But how do I get my GPO4 instruments loaded into (or mapped to) Cubase 5?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Pete

Re: Set-up with GPO4 Finale 2011 and Cubase 5

Hi Pete,

You can't risk screwing up the GPO/Finale install using GPO in Cubase, so no worries

I forget the terminology Cubase uses, but you'll need to insert the Aria Player, which runs GPO, as a "VST Instrument" or "Virtual Instrument" or something similar. Those are the dll's in the C:\Program Files\vstplugins which you want. Aria Player Multi x86/x64 are the 32/64-bit versions of the plugin with multiple outputs (up to 16 separate stereo outs, one for each slot). The ones without multi in their name have only one stereo out. Useful for notation.

If Cubase was installed after GPO, then it should have located the vstplugins folder automatically. Otherwise, you'll need to find the place where it is specified (probably under a preferences or options dialog) and add the directory.

This tutorial is for SX3 but has a pretty good overview of how to get the who shebang set up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwj2sYr0as

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Re: Set-up with GPO4 Finale 2011 and Cubase 5

Thanks, Reegs. I'm getting there.
    Have been able to save a composition written in Finale 2011 as a midi file with each instrument saved to separate tracks, importing the midi file into Cubase 5, assigning GPO4 as my VSTi, and assigning a GPO4 instrument to each midi track.
    Expect to learn Cubase fully before congress passes budget legislation.

Go Back to forum