• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quad-Cores

Share/Bookmark

Quad-Cores

I was wondering if someone could put into ayman terms what quad-core processors actually do. Here is what I believe I understand them to do:

Quad-Core processors are in reality 4 processors tied together to more efficiently processes data. Whereas code from a piece of software would normally be processed by one core, four cores instead pull that code apart and process it in four separate chunks, them splice the output back together. the end result is faster processing. Of course, I think the software used has to be coded to use four processors. If it is not, then it willsimply stream all its code to one processor.

Am I right? And does the Aria Player utilize quad-core processing?

Re: Quad-Cores

Quote Originally Posted by FossMaNo1 View Post
    Am I right? And does the Aria Player utilize quad-core processing?
    Yes, Aria is programmed to use multiple cores.

Re: Quad-Cores

Quote Originally Posted by FossMaNo1 View Post
    Of course, I think the software used has to be coded to use four processors. If it is not, then it will simply stream all its code to one processor.
    But even programs not coded to take advantage of multiple cores will benefit from running on a multi-core processor. The operating system has many tasks running simultaneously - some running at higher priority than application tasks. All of the tasks have to get scheduled to execute on a core. The more cores in a processor, the less often your application's task(s) will get interrupted by higher priority tasks.

Pat

Go Back to forum