• Register
  • Help

Topic: Classical Guitar Pieces 16-21

Share/Bookmark

Red face Classical Guitar Pieces 16-21

Here are the final 6, short pieces for guitar. I hope that you will enjoy them -

No.16 in D major. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959260

No.17 in D#minor. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959268

No.18 in Bb major. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959312

No.19 in Cb major .http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959321

No.20 in B minor .http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959323

No.21 in A minor .http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10959330

I do hope that you have enjoyed this series of short Guitar pieces, Antony

Re: Classical Guitar Pieces 16-21

Thank you very much, Antony - Yes, I've been enjoying your classical guitar series very much. I may like #18 best in this current list - (NOTE: that recording is chopped off at the end).

There are so many beautiful lines throughout all of these.

The form in these short pieces is often so free, - and they're all so very brief. I wonder if this mass of material could be organized into a few larger works, rather than a series, or as different versions?

On the technical side, I personally wish that we, the listeners, could be closer to the guitar. The sound of your recordings is fine- you've created the sound of a guitarist in a small performance space, and we're 20 or 30 feet away. We hear the room, since the acoustical properties of a room/auditorium become more pronounced, the farther away the audience is.

My personal preference would be to have the front row seat either in this room, or an even smaller venue. If I could be just a few feet from the instrument, I'd be less aware of the reverberation caused by the room, and more aware of the music.

I'm thinking of the way classical guitar is recorded professionally - They mike the instrument very closely, just inches from the guitar's body. Ambient mikes placed around the studio are mixed in just enough to give air around the sound, but not so much to make it sound like the musician is so far away. - Something you might want to experiment with.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thank you very much, Antony - Yes, I've been enjoying your classical guitar series very much. I may like #18 best in this current list - (NOTE: that recording is chopped off at the end).

The form in these short pieces is often so free, - and they're all so very brief. I wonder if this mass of material could be organized into a few larger works, rather than a series, or as different versions?

On the technical side, I personally wish that we, the listeners, could be closer to the guitar. The sound of your recordings is fine- you've created the sound of a guitarist in a small performance space, and we're 20 or 30 feet away. We hear the room, since the acoustical properties of a room/auditorium become more pronounced, the farther away the audience is.

My personal preference would be to have the front row seat either in this room, or an even smaller venue. If I could be just a few feet from the instrument, I'd be less aware of the reverberation caused by the room, and more aware of the music.

I'm thinking of the way classical guitar is recorded professionally - They mike the instrument very closely, just inches from the guitar's body. Ambient mikes placed around the studio are mixed in just enough to give air around the sound, but not so much to make it sound like the musician is so far away. - Something you might want to experiment with.

Randy
    Hello Randy,
    I am very pleased that you have been enjoying my short pieces for Guitar! I always appreciate your words and you ALWAYS give me something to think about.

I will certainly mull over your comments re Guitar recording !

The more difficult thing is that I dont think that I will be re-working the series. I like the run of the very short pieces.

However, when I had finished the series, about a year ago, I then had a yen to apply the guitar to a longer piece and wrote 'EL CID' for Guitar and orchestra.(Remember the Chartlton Heston and Sofia Loren film ?). My storyline has a happier ending, as I follow the original storyline used by the French composer Massenet, who wrote the opera, EL CID. My guitar plays with the orchestra, and also has solo spots. I will eventually 'Thread' the work, at some time in the future, after I have 'threaded' more of my other pieces. Your comments will be most welcome ! Antony

Hi Antony.

I really enjoyed your guitar pieces. I agree with Randy about the recording - I had to crank up the volume a bit and still had to listen closely to ensure I heard everything. In real life, I would see the guitarist in a very small, inmate setting and would have no problem with the quiet nature of the guitar

The only thing I am surprised at is how few people have commented on these well -crafted little gems!
    Trent P. McDonald

I agree with the above - I enjoy these short tastes of classical guitar, and with a desire to hear them nearer and clearer.

They sound about 30% dry 70% wet with the reverb.

They indeed do sound 'free' in how they're played, keeps them interesting, unpredictable in a way, which is good.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Hi Antony.

I really enjoyed your guitar pieces. I agree with Randy about the recording - I had to crank up the volume a bit and still had to listen closely to ensure I heard everything. In real life, I would see the guitarist in a very small, inmate setting and would have no problem with the quiet nature of the guitar

The only thing I am surprised at is how few people have commented on these well -crafted little gems!
    Thank you for your helpful comments ! I am experimenting with No.18 and will post an alternative version along the lines you have suggested. Antony

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Following a barrage of comments. similar to yours, in the "Listening Room", I am experimenting with No.18 and will post an alternative version. Thanks, Antony

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I agree with the above - I enjoy these short tastes of classical guitar, and with a desire to hear them nearer and clearer.

They sound about 30% dry 70% wet with the reverb.

They indeed do sound 'free' in how they're played, keeps them interesting, unpredictable in a way, which is good.
    Thanks for your helpful comments. I am experimenting with No18 and will post an alternative version. Antony

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Antony,

Great work on all of them but I would have to say that No. 17 would be my favorite - especially the middle section - nice chromaticism and harmonies...

Would you ever consider orchestrating these?

Enjoyed!

M
    Hi Michael, very good to hear from you! I am pleased that you enjoyed the pieces. As I 'never say never', orchestrating these short pieces could be a future project! Thanks for suggesting the idea. All the best, Antony

Go Back to forum