• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Clarinet Dances

Share/Bookmark

Clarinet Dances

Here are 3 dances in this suite for 2 Bb clarinets and a bass clarinet. I wrote these after being inspired by a similar work played on an NPR station by a contemporary composer.

I hope you enjoy these:

I - Latin Dance

II- Light Waltz

III- Gigue and Ballad
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Clarinet Dances

Sounds like you were very inspired - All three of these are really neat. Like 'em all, but #3 is probably my fave. It's the least predictable, and really shows off the unique playfulness of the clarinet.

The recordings sound good too, Rich. Air around the sounds, but a pleasant, intimate sound so appropriate for the music.

Here's something I think I was hearing - Sometimes it sounded like at least one of the clarinets was being played in polyphonic mode, making trills and runs not sound right, since there's a slight overlap between notes. "Auto Legato" in Aria is the way to get Mono Mode going - which I'm sure you know. In the last piece, the instruments sounded properly mono, it was in the other two pieces that it seemed like I heard that unnatural overlapping sound of poly mode.

Reminds me of something I wish wouldn't have been changed when GPO moved into Aria. In the previous Kontakt versions, solo instruments were all mono. You couldn't do real trills, but at least we didn't have the challenge of working with polyphonic instruments for our solos. In Aria, all those instruments are poly - the user has to make the choice of turning on Auto Legato in order to get the instruments properly monophonic. I don't think that was a very good design choice.

Back to your music--Really enjoyed all three Clarinet Dances, Rich. Congrats on another very nicely done project.

Randy

A delightful divertimento... enjoyed this very much. Thanks Rich!

Randy,

Thanks for the comments. It was an interesting project that took a few months to develop and engineer. And you know, I think I forgot to set auto-legato in the first two movements. (oops)

Dargason,

Thanks so much for listening and enjoying the music.

Rich

The third one was simply superb, sublime and feel free to add some superlative to that. I loved the fact that you integrated all three instruments into the piece in melodic way.

I found the use of the bass clarinet in its lowest register interesting, but but perhaps a bit repetitive if I may be so bold as to say so.

Thank you for giving the piece a listen and commenting on it. It is appreciated.

I found the use of the bass clarinet in its lowest register interesting, but but perhaps a bit repetitive
    You know... I think you have a good point and I will revisit the bass clarinet part and see if I can make it less repetitive. Thanks!!!

Rich

I have re-worked the first two movements to fix the legato problems. Randy, you were right. I had not turned the auto-legato on for two of the clarinets in the first two movements. I guess I assumed that if you turn it on for one instrument, it turned it on in the ARIA player for all. Dumb thing to assume.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thank you for giving the piece a listen and commenting on it. It is appreciated.

You know... I think you have a good point and I will revisit the bass clarinet part and see if I can make it less repetitive. Thanks!!!
    I'm glad I didn't step on your toes. Also, I will try to show this to a clarinet playing uncle of mine and see what he thinks, either today or Sunday, if you don't mind that is.

That is nice work. I personally think that the clarinet is one of the most difficult instruments to write for, but you made it happen. All three pieces sounded rather good to me. What is wrong with repetition? After a while a bit boring? If so do that great trick in music, just apply the "inversion" once in a while.

Raymond - who never is the same.

Caleb,

Thanks again for the comments and yes, please let your uncle hear the piece.

Raymond,

I appreciate the listen and comments. You are right! I should do some inversions and variations a little more.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast