• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "...with apologies to Percy" work in progress, nearly finished (solo piano)

Share/Bookmark

"...with apologies to Percy" (solo piano) now complete

message removed
    Last edited by qccowboy; 12-28-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: updated files, information, descriptions

Re: "...with apologies to Percy" work in progress, nearly finished (solo piano)

It's a fascinating musical journey -

The sections with increasingly dissonant variations reminds me a bit of a book I recently read about Picasso. Magical to read how he would begin a portrait in a naturalistic way, and then work and work to deconstruct it, agonizing over how to discover and render the essence of the subject.

Though his aim was to simplify, to have the end result be minimalist, rather than to become more complex in structure, the process as you described in your notes, Michel, is akin, I think, since he was starting with a conventional statement and ending with a unique and personally explored re-statement of the original material.

I sat back and got lost in the music. I loved the mysterious, plaintive ending. It was a very effective wrap up.

Thank you, Michel, for again playing some great music for us.

Randy

thank-you for listening Randy.

As for the ending, I was originally intending on adding a 12th variation (12. it's just so standard!).

But there IS an interesting point to be made by ending it with the atonal ambiguity of that bell-like call at the end.

An exemplary set of variations here Michel!! Very well done.

Really like the variety of textures, structure, tone, rhythm, harmony, etc.

Actually I see on your score you do have a 12th variation. This is an homage to John Cage I take it. lol

Everyone is going to have a favorite/s out of this set of course. I love the Polka just because of the sheer creative line you conjured up and the variety within. But my favorite is the last...well the eleventh variation. It's really a work of art.

But I'm not convinced it should wrap up the set. I see where you're coming from and as beautiful as the ending is, it doesn't satisfy me as an terminus to this set. But that's just me and really nothing to quibble about.

A great work. Can't wait to hear your upcoming piano sonata.

Cass

That's really great Michel. I like the last one best actually. There's something quite beautiful about it to my hearing. I love the juxtaposition of the 3rd and 4th variations too.

You've been very productive lately, at least publicly and I appreciate seeing your continued journey. It's very inspiring to all of us. Keep up the good work.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

I was supposed to be going to bed...and ending up listing to these.

Love your variations, increasingly...dissonant - but all good.

I don't know why, but I've had trouble getting the basic steinway to sound natural out of finale. Though to be fair, I didn't try very hard I suppose. Love that piano myself.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Michel,

This is a beautifully crafted piece. And very well performed. Bravo !

Best Regards,

Jack

thank-you guys.

I'm very happy with this piece so far.
    I really needed something for piano solo in my catalog. Amazing that as a pianist, I find it so difficult to actually WRITE for my instrument. I'm too demanding.

this will actually be the very first piano solo in my entire catalog. (there were a number of early works that have since been withdrawn).

it's actually interesting that the two latest works I've posted here, both for piano (the "Petite Sonate en duo", and this set of variations) are actually the earliest work in my catalog, and the latest work in my catalog!

Michel, your work is really inspiring!

You picked up an excellent theme, that’s for starts, and then you just
    ‘roll out of your sleeve’ these magical variations!

And it seems to me that you could go on and create even 24 variations
    without repeating yourself!

I just love the dissonances you create…

And just as with your little sonata, this too is very suitable for orchestration.
    But it would sound wonderful in a recital just as it is!

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

~ Yudit ~

thank-you Yudit.

of course now, I have the problem of "what do I do next" as far as the final variation goes.

I have always had difficulty finishing works.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast