• Register
  • Help

Topic: In time for Christmas--KAZOOS for your Garritan Aria Player!

Share/Bookmark

Red face In time for Christmas--KAZOOS for your Garritan Aria Player!

Santa knows what you've all been hoping for most: Some KAZOOS for your Garritan Aria Player! Right?

So, in time for Christmas, here's an early present from Santa - Aria Kazoos!

BACK STORY on this: The above picture is one taken today, the day after Thanksgiving. This Woody Woodpecker Kazoo came in the mail. It's the authentic Kellogg's premium available in the early 1950's to kids who sent in 25 cents along with a cereal box top. It was the first thing I'd ever bought--I was in grade school, and I clearly remember the AGONY of waiting the 4 to 6 weeks it was taking for my prize to be delivered.

Recently, I thought about that prized possession, and I looked it up online. I found a picture of the Kazoo immediately, on the site of a Kazoo enthusiast--Captain Kazoo. I wrote to him, saying how great it was to find the pictures of Woody he'd posted. - After exchanging some emails, - he said he'd be sending me a spare Woody Kazoo he had. It arrived today!--I've been tooting on it ever since.---and my wife is thrilled--hehe.

Click the names to download your Kazoos:

KAZOO ONE

This was put together from Kazoo samples found at the great sound-sharing site, Freesound.org. A member there, "NoiseCollector" says these are "multi-samples of a green plastic kazoo in front of a cheap Radio Shack clipon condensor."

KAZOO TWO

This one I built from samples I recorded of me playing an old tin Kazoo I've had for 30 years. The multi-sampling is a bit more extensive than in Kazoo One.

It's easy to use those Kazoos in Aria. Unzip the files to a logical location on your hard drive, keeping the SFZ files in the same folder as their corresponding samples. Then when you have Aria open, use the Import function, and go to the location of the Kazoo SFZ files. They'll load right up. Note that as with all non-Garritan instruments opened in Aria, the faders in Aria have no effect, and there are no controls available on the Controls page.

Here's another Kazoo I used in the demo below. This is a SoundFont file I found online. It can be played in Sonar's SFZ SoundFont player, or any of the free SoundFont players to be found online.

FREE KAZOO SOUNDFONT

CAVEATS: These are all pretty raw samples, befitting the ragged sound Kazoos always have. The loops aren't perfect, and can be heard chugging along when single sustained notes are in the spotlight. But hey - the instruments are free, so whaddya want?

Here's my big demo of the Kazoos. This has 11 tracks put through a large auditorium reverb. Multiple tracks of the SFZ kazoos, the SoundFont Kazoo, and one track of me playing a Kazoo live.

Also featured are the Beer Box drum and Pot Lid Cymbals from the set of samples I made for Aria last year, The Kitchen Sink. Go there and get that set of plops, plinks and booms all done with random kitchen items.

In prep for the arrival of the Woody Woodpecker Kazoo, I decided to do a recording to give to Captain Kazoo as a gift.

THUS HUMMED ZARATHUSTRA!

The good Captain already has this MP3 featured at his Kazoo site -
    CAPTAIN KAZOO!

Happy Humming!
    Randy

Re: In time for Christmas--KAZOOS for your Garritan Aria Player!

ROCK ON!!!

This is awesome! I'm going to create some projects with these this weekend. My sister has a website where she and her friend review video games and I do the music for their podcasts. She doesn't know it but I've been creating 15 second clips of Christmas music to fade in and out between the breaks. I've been looking for something rather goofy sounding and this is spot on! I'm already planning on doing a track of "O Christmas Tree" with your kazoo.

Thanks Randy!

-Dane

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    ROCK ON!!!

This is awesome! I'm going to create some projects with these this weekend. My sister has a website where she and her friend review video games and I do the music for their podcasts. She doesn't know it but I've been creating 15 second clips of Christmas music to fade in and out between the breaks. I've been looking for something rather goofy sounding and this is spot on! I'm already planning on doing a track of "O Christmas Tree" with your kazoo.

Thanks Randy!

-Dane
    HA! That's great, Dane! I'm looking forward to hearing a whacky Kazooed "O Christmas Tree"--lemme know if you end up doing that, it could be way cool.

Randy

I

Nearly

Wet

Myself!!!!!

That Richard Kazstrauss piece was HYSTERICAL.

"Also summte Zarathustra!"

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I

Nearly

Wet

Myself!!!!!

That Richard Kazstrauss piece was HYSTERICAL.

"Also summte Zarathustra!"

He he really funny and well played

Thank you very much, I'm sure I'll use these sounds sooner or later

Thanks so much for sharing Randy! Absolutely brilliant idea - definitely going to get some great use from them.

I was also planning some samples for about now but, what with having builders in, and our son arriving slightly early, the school vacation kind of disappeared. Hopefully I'll get time over Christmas - and then I may be begging for your help with conversion to Aria.
    David

Go Back to forum