• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Hobbit Suite

Share/Bookmark

The Hobbit Suite

I'm just going to drop this here, then I'll be back (when it's not 2AM ;-) ) to listen and comment on what's new.

So very quickly, before I lose consciousness...
    Just finished composing a 'suite' of my Hobbit tracks. Or you could call it an overture. Using some of the themes I wrote for the previous tracks, I remastered them, but also composed about 3 minutes of NEW music (it's in the middle).

All of the music here is the nice melodic stuff I love, sweeping voilins, majestic horns, that sort of thing. Hope you enjoy - and keep an ear out for all the new music in the middle. :-)

The Hobbit Suite

Or on Youtube - with the art of Alan Lee
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: The Hobbit Suite

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I'm just going to drop this here, then I'll be back (when it's not 2AM ;-) ) to listen and comment on what's new.

So very quickly, before I lose consciousness...
    Just finished composing a 'suite' of my Hobbit tracks. Or you could call it an overture. Using some of the themes I wrote for the previous tracks, I remastered them, but also composed about 3 minutes of NEW music (it's in the middle).

All of the music here is the nice melodic stuff I love, sweeping voilins, majestic horns, that sort of thing. Hope you enjoy - and keep an ear out for all the new music in the middle. :-)

The Hobbit Suite
    Fine work, Plowking. Vast, sweeping and spectacular; yet has an intimacy that is endearing. Very, very nice.

Plowking! I think this is a great sounding piece. I like the fullness in sound that you get from the render. The contrast of the mellowness to the more active, works well for me.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Graham:
    Top notch orchestration. Great render too!

wow, that huge main theme is ... wow.

I really wish the Garritan percussion crash cymbal had a longer reverberation. it's a tiny bit to "immediate". it needs a larger sound.

Do you use your trombones+tuba as a solid brass foundation? I don't seem to be hearing them quite as prominently as I'd like. The violins are a bit prominent in the texture over the orchestral tutti.

I have an issue with the violin/fiddle solo. It opens with a great, very characteristic musical outline, but then what follows feels a bit too "random" to me. It doesn't sound like a natural outgrowth of that initial motivic statement. That said, the fiddle section is great for its rhythm and bounce.

I like this overture a lot.
    Most of it avoids the "sounds like Howard Shore" trap (although there are some VERY brief moments where there are hints of the LotR OST).

Great work, Graham.

Thank you all for the comments. Technically, this was a tough one to produce.

With just 4 gigs of ram (32bit PC) - ram became a problem when trying to orchestrate this. Little flourishes were dumped in places as the DAW crashed numerous times when loading 'just one more instrument'. The DAW (Ableton Live) is not able to freeze tracks to audio if you have split a plugin across multiple tracks. So in trying to save ram by having Aria and Kontakt host multiple patches, I got more out of it, but once I hit the ram ceiling it was awkward as I couldn't freeze tracks anymore.

GPO4 to the rescue though, with its low ram footprint I was able to get a lot of the foundation to the music done. The horns+trombones have been kept subdued when they aren't also playing the melody, blending as much as I can.

For the main theme at the start there was a recommendation from a previous version of it from Michel to add arpeggio cellos underneath - I've done that using GPO, and I think it works great to keep a sense of movement going through the long sustained violins.

There are a few cymbal audio samples I have that I use instead of the raw ones in GPO. I also have a GPO version that I did a lot of audio processing on, layerd and reverb - I have them as audio files now and just plop them in place.

Other things I found useful was to build a string run at various tempos, various keys, process them, again layer etc, and use them at times. Requires a bit of messing about upfront, but I've got a few templates saved that I dive into to build my bespoke elements. I'm sort of making my own sample library of key elements I found that I wanted to keep using.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Excellent. I'd have to listen a thousand more times to find anything else to say.

Graham,

I enjoyed very much hearing this suite!

It has, as you said, everything: from simplicity and quietness, to vastness and majestic.

I like the Irish touches here and there and the singing voices add color to the atmosphere.

Very well done in every way!

~ Yudit ~

Graham this is wonderful. I missed the first go around so it's all new to me

You've covered alot of ground here. I love all the majestic harmonies and orchestrations you've done.

I do agree with Michel about the fiddle solo. To me it doesn't sound very related to the theme. It has an improvised sound to it which I suppose could work but it doesn't quite fit somehow. I'm sorry I'm not explaining myself very clearly.

Excellent work though and that is a great sounding render.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

I told one of my friends on facebook the other day my main attraction to filmmusic is the fact it's not a specific genre. I think your music is emotional as opposed to sentimental. It is a soundtrack for my imagination.

Regards

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast