• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recordare's Dolets for both Sibelius and Finale are now free

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Recordare's Dolets for both Sibelius and Finale are now free

I've subscribed to Recordare's newsletter ever since buying the Dolet for Sibelius several years ago. The Dolet gives older versions of Sibelius the ability to export scores in XML format. I needed that so a Finale user could open up work I'd done.

I paid $150 for the Dolet app--! --- Now--- (drum roll)--- it's FREE!

Here's the text of this morning's email from Recordare:

Dear Recordare friends,

MakeMusic has now closed its acquisition of selected Recordare assets,
    including the MusicXML format and Dolet software. The Dolet for Sibelius
    and Dolet for Finale plug-ins are now available for free from MakeMusic.
    You can download the plug-ins from:

http://www.makemusic.com/Products/MusicXML.aspx

With the closing of the acquisition, I have started my new role as
    Director of Digital Sheet Music at MakeMusic. The Recordare Online Store
    has now closed, and we are in the process of winding up the company.

Thank you for all your support over the years to create a standard
    music notation interchange format. There's lots more work ahead to make
    digital sheet music work better for everyone. I look forward to
    continued collaboration on improving the MusicXML format in the future.

Best regards,

Michael Good
    Recordare LLC

Re: Recordare's Dolets for both Sibelius and Finale are now free

It will be interesting to see effect of this acquisition. Recordare produced two things: the MusicXML protocol specification (which they made available free of charge I believe), and the Dolet products - plugins for Finale and Sibelius (and maybe other programs) - which they licensed for a fee.

The MakeMusic folks obviously benefit from future development of MusicXML since they use it for migrating between versions of Finale. But do they benefit from keeping it open rather than proprietary? They also benefit from supporting migration from Sibelius to Finale but not from supporting migration from Finale to Sibelius (or any other system supporting MusicXML). The latest Dolet plugins support MusicXML 3.0. If MakeMusic were to make future enhancements to MusicXML proprietary then they could have Finale produce a version of MusicXML that could not be read by Sibelius while Sibelius would continue to produce MusicXML 2.0 or 3.0 which could be read by Finale. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Pat

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how things develop, Pat.

At the time I had to pay $150 just to get a Finale able to use my Sibelius files, I was less than thrilled. The Dolet got the basic job done, but some things were lost in translation.

Thanks for adding to the thread, Pat.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    They also benefit from supporting migration from Sibelius to Finale but not from supporting migration from Finale to Sibelius (or any other system supporting MusicXML).
    Not true. Supporting migration to a common open standard increases the value of a product by making prospective users reasonably confident that their work (which is what is ultimately valuable to them) can be easily used in other applications and contexts.

I think “lock-in” is usually a wise long-term strategy only if you know your product can’t compete on its merits. Good products benefit from keeping their users’ comfort level high.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    At the time I had to pay $150
    You're lucky. I had to pay $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Fellmy View Post
    Not true. Supporting migration to a common open standard increases the value of a product by making prospective users reasonably confident that their work (which is what is ultimately valuable to them) can be easily used in other applications and contexts.

I think “lock-in” is usually a wise long-term strategy only if you know your product can’t compete on its merits. Good products benefit from keeping their users’ comfort level high.
    I hope you are right. I haven't seen too much evidence of that kind of logic in the marketplace lately.

Pat

Go Back to forum