• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Last Contrarian

Share/Bookmark

The Last Contrarian

Well, now, the whole thing is finished with the completion of this. Now I am off to the next adventure.

Fourth Contrarian
    http://www.box.com/s/rbsi9tkqmkj7mh6k1jfo

The mp3 uses GPO organ.

Richard

Re: The Last Contrarian

Hi, Richard

---I'm confused by the naming of these organ pieces. This one you label "The Last Contrarian" but the MP3 at Box is labeled "The Fourth"---And your previous post labeled "The Fourth" takes us to an MP3 labeled "The First."-- ? Is this correct, or was there a mix-up in links?

Listening to this one, full of your trademark, daring collision of notes - I had a vision, springing from my theatre-orientation. I was picturing how entertaining this would be in a live concert, with a master organist playing your difficult work, accompanied by some wild, abstract swirling lights on a screen. - I'd love it!

Randy

Well, what I meant was that the Fourth Contrarian is the last of the series.

Your description is great. I think the swirling lights would add to the interest, although it had not previously entered my mind. Finding a good organ and competent and willing organist is a matter in which I have been egregiously unsuccessful! Sometimes I want to give up, lock my doors and play the piano or haul out my sketch pads and learn to draw again. I have done a few good pencil portraits and some beautiful drawings of trees, but they seem to have disappeared.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, what I meant was that the Fourth Contrarian is the last of the series.

Your description is great. I think the swirling lights would add to the interest, although it had not previously entered my mind. Finding a good organ and competent and willing organist is a matter in which I have been egregiously unsuccessful! Sometimes I want to give up, lock my doors and play the piano or haul out my sketch pads and learn to draw again. I have done a few good pencil portraits and some beautiful drawings of trees, but they seem to have disappeared.

Richard
    Hello again, Richard - This still leaves the mystery of the previous post being also called "The Fourth" while the MP3 at Box linked to says "The First"-- ?

Ah, the difficulties of having music performed live. I think you're in the same boat as the vast majority of people using musical software - Lots of compositions exist, but aren't being heard in live performance situations. Thank goodness the music can still be heard in the form we record with our computers.

Visual art!-- Sounds like it's something you should add again to your list of creative outlets!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello again, Richard - This still leaves the mystery of the previous post being also called "The Fourth" while the MP3 at Box linked to says "The First"-- ?

Randy
    Aha! Finally I see the problem. There was a message that I posted on another site, but forgot to post here. The Fourth as originally posted here in a previous thread was originally intended to be First, but for reasons I have forgotten, I changed it to First, then changed it back again! It also appears that I have not posted the Second and Third. The following list is correct.

First Contrarian

Second Contrarian

Third Contrarian

Fourth Contrarian

This is the end of the Contrarian series, except possible changes in organ registration. Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Aha! Finally I see the problem. There was a message that I posted on another site, but forgot to post here. The Fourth as originally posted here in a previous thread was originally intended to be First, but for reasons I have forgotten, I changed it to First, then changed it back again! It also appears that I have not posted the Second and Third. The following list is correct.

First Contrarian

Second Contrarian

Third Contrarian

Fourth Contrarian

This is the end of the Contrarian series, except possible changes in organ registration. Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

Richard
    Ah, good - I thought something was amiss - either that, or you were being purposefully and artfully obscure. I was afraid to ask about the 2nd and 3rd parts, since that would have revealed my confusion even more. All is straightened out now. Good!

Randy

I finally had a chance to listen to all 4 in a row. I really liked them. I'm sure it would make a great experience live - if and when you find someone to play these.
    Trent P. McDonald

I listened to all four. You always take the listener on a mysterious but pleasant journey.

I still haven't had a chance to hear the beast in a cathedral.

Enjoyed your work!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I still haven't had a chance to hear the beast in a cathedral.
    Phil

Well, I am still waiting for that opportunity! Thanks for commenting.

Richard

Go Back to forum