• Register
  • Help

Topic: Am I the last old fart using Gigastudio 4?

Share/Bookmark

Am I the last old fart using Gigastudio 4?

Hi,
    If there is anyone out there still using Gigastudio 4, I would really like to make contact, two heads are better than one etc.,
    "pressroll@gmail.com"
    have a great Christmas
    cheers
    Bryan
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Re: Am I the last old fart using Gigastudio 4?

Which OS are you running it on. Since you are using the last and only card manufacturer offering GSIF support, I could see GS4 running on W7x64.

I'm not using it yet, but have a licence for it for a machine when it becomes free. What problems (if any) are you having?

Hi,
    Moving house, sorry for the late reply.
    Ok now using win 7 ultimate as the default OS, have two new SSD drives, and getting a number of BSOD. The 32 bit version worked ok in XP sp2. Now using 64bit Ver, compatibility setting is "Vista SP2" I figure Tascam must have got that far.
    Using the last driver that was GSIF for the RME FF800.
    Have optimized as suggested by all etc., however in using "Latency Mon" I find problems with the files below, anything over .1 can cause a problem. The system can run for up to an hour or so before crashing, and it appears that coincides with the incremental upward movement of the files below, especially ACPI.sys.

ACPI.sys ACPI Driver for NT .37906
    ataport.sys atapi Driver Extension .25207
    tcpip.sys TCP/ip Driver .16151
    ntoskml.exe NT Kernel & system .16059
    USBport.sys USB 1.1 & 2.0 port Driver .13765

Any comment is a plus, I really love this system, and will try anything to get it running as it did. I have probably left a ship load of information out, but will answer any queries.
    great to know there are people out there still interested in GS.
    cheers
    Bryan (aussie/ Kiwi)
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is that you're using Windows 7. If I remember correctly, when GS4 came out Tascam only recommended using XP 64bit, not Vista despite it being around at the time. As the audio driver model changed significantly from XP to Vista I think there were bound to be problems, and may be the reason Tascam dropped it so quickly as the cost of sorting out the GSIF drivers for Vista and later OSes was probably felt to be prohibitively expensive.

However, that's not to say it can't be made to work in a stable fashion under Win 7, just that it might take a lot of frakking around to get it so. Unfortunately I can't help there. Even when I do get my GS4 up and running, it will be on XP 64bit and on a remote PC rather than on the same machine as the sequencer.

There have been other threads relating to GS under Win 7, I take it none of those are any help?

Hi Ian,

I would have used XP 64bit compatibility if it was offered, but unfortunately the options are only Vista variations, or a 1 only "Windows Server 2008 SP1".
    I have reinstalled the drivers for the nVidia card, being "Vista 64 bit, but they caused very large spikes, and so back to the Microsoft Display drivers, with the result that GS4 now has been running for two hours non stop without any issues. My intention is to leave it playing for another few hours to at least feel less nervous.
    More to come, but feeling hopeful again.

cheers
    Bryan
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4

Gigastudio was also compatible with Vista. Did you have the last updates for GS4?

Hi K,

The last update that I got was "v4.01 Patch.exe" June 10th 2008, did they release anything later than that?
    biggest issue i found was the inability to store midi cc assignments, and of course the re-wire thing.
    Always more than happy to try anything to improve the experience.

cheers
    BH
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4

Unfortunately since there is no more support it may be time to move on. I kept an XP partition to use GS4. As W7 demanded more drive space, RME being the only company with GSIF 2.1 support, I had to say goodbye to Giga. It's such a shame they got so many things right in GS4, they killed it.

On thing I still remembered that kept GS4 stable for me was I didn't allow it to scan or use VSTs.

Hi K,

I now have it running fine, the only issue is getting Winamp to run over the top of it (GS4) for break music. I run the B4 vsti and just installed "Trilian" which i must say is really impressive. The trick is not to unload the vsts, and give them a dedicated channel.
    i had to turn off everything else to achieve this, wireless, nVidia, touchpad, camera, internal sound card, etc., so almost everything except the system stuff. Now running in a stable state on a dedicated Laptop. I will sort this winamp thing, just pops etc., I think it is just buffers, but still trying things. You didn't say if you had any later updates for GS4 than the 4.01? I seem to remember your handle as a beta tester, was that true?
    cheers
    BH
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4

Go Back to forum