• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Brass

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Brass

I just began sampling the instruments for the new DD Solo Brass Collection. So far, with amazing results. The test Solo French Horn was loaded up on the Nemesys machines at the NAMM show; undoubtedly some of you heard it. I\'ll be sending the instruments to Donnie as soon as I get them...look for some demos in a week or so.

DD Solo Woodwinds are almost done having gone through the beta cycles. These will be ready for replication soon. We\'re on the final tweaking phase right now.

More later,
    Dan Dean

Re: Dan Dean Solo Brass

That sounds promising! I can hardly wait for your brass library! how much is it gonna be? same as the woodwind library or more/less? I\'d love to hear some demos of your samples already. Doesn\'t matter if things aren\'t done. Especially the trumpet is of great interest to me. How did you record your brass? different attacks? what kind of playing style? close or far mic\'ed? how well do the samples perform in ensemble writing and how expressive are the sustains? (I hope they aren\'t as static as those we\'ve seen up to date. I\'d rather see some expressive solo brass like those in miroslav, but without the slow attack) Anyway that\'s a lot of questions and you\'re probably busy getting your woodwind library ready. Good luck!

Thomas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    That sounds promising! I can hardly wait for your brass library! how much is it gonna be? same as the woodwind library or more/less? I\'d love to hear some demos of your samples already. Doesn\'t matter if things aren\'t done. Especially the trumpet is of great interest to me. How did you record your brass? different attacks? what kind of playing style? close or far mic\'ed? how well do the samples perform in ensemble writing and how expressive are the sustains? (I hope they aren\'t as static as those we\'ve seen up to date. I\'d rather see some expressive solo brass like those in miroslav, but without the slow attack) Anyway that\'s a lot of questions and you\'re probably busy getting your woodwind library ready. Good luck!

Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Thomas,

It\'s too early for any demos as yet, but I can tell you that I\'m using the same techniques as used in the Solo Woodwinds collection (really close to being done). Smallish room, medium distance miked, etc.. The trombone has been sampled 8 layers deep in most articulations. There are legato NV samples (8L), Staccato (8L), Portato (8L) giving 3 different attack envelopes (slow, fast and medium). There is a straight mute preset (4L), and forte piano, fortepiano crescendo long, medium and short (1L).

I have been so busy finishing up the Woodwinds, I have not had any time to work on the brass, other than to sample it and schedule the rest of the sessions. There will be Trumpet, Piccolo Trumpet, Trombone, Bass Trombone, French Horn and Tuba. I did a test on the French Horn and was quite pleased with the results.
    These are extremely expressive and range from really soft ppp to edgy/ugly fff . As soon as the winds are finished, I\'ll be completing these. Price yet TBD, but probably about the same as the Woodwinds, possibly less.

Thanks,
    Dan

Mr Dan Dean:
    I´m very interested in your solo brass, particulary the solo trumpet as is the first time I read about a fff one that could be use in pop music as well (like EWF, Tower of power or latin music) Why not a second trumpet for the ultimate realism as ensemble?
    When will you get it? I already have the QL Brass, is ok for classic music but useless for pop (well, for my taste on pop music)
    Good Luck and hope you finish it soon!
    Jose

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jose Pereira:

>I already have the QL Brass, is ok for classic music but useless for pop (well, for my taste on pop music)<

Hi Dan!

Am I right that your library is focussed mainly on classic and not much considering the Pop/Jazz/Rock-musician???

------------------
    O.H.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OH:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Jose Pereira:

>I already have the QL Brass, is ok for classic music but useless for pop (well, for my taste on pop music)<

Hi Dan!

Am I right that your library is focussed mainly on classic and not much considering the Pop/Jazz/Rock-musician???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The Dan Dean Solo Brass is designed as an orchestral library. Pop horns will require different players (not symphonic), different design and so forth. Such a collection is being discussed and may be released in the future. Pop horns and Orchestral horns are two distinctly different breeds. The DD Solo Horns are designed for orchestral use.

More later,
    Dan

[/b][/QUOTE]
    The Dan Dean Solo Brass is designed as an orchestral library. Pop horns will require different players (not symphonic), different design and so forth. Such a collection is being discussed and may be released in the future. Pop horns and Orchestral horns are two distinctly different breeds. The DD Solo Horns are designed for orchestral use.

More later,
    Dan[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Mr Dean for the info.
    You are right about the diference in playing style.
    Anyway, Do you know about any brass sample library that can cover pop music? I only need two fff, bright, edgy, piercing, solo trumpets, no riffs, loops, ensambles, etc.
    Thanks anybody for your help!!
    Jose Pereira

>Such a collection is being discussed and may be released in the future.<

Oh, please please please (... many more pleases): DO IT. Just DO IT. please please please

------------------
    O.H.

Go Back to forum