• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Spring Thing

Share/Bookmark

A Spring Thing

I know it is about the start of Winter but I am looking ahead to Spring and the warmer weather.

This is a bossa and includes the following instruments:
    Bass (JaBB)
    Rhythm Piano (GPO4 Steinway)
    Mellow Electric Guitar (JaBB)
    Vintage Electric Piano (JaBB)(on lead solo)
    Jazz Drum Set (JaBB) (as mic'ed overhead ambience)
    True Piano (Amber from Cakewalk) on Melody Lead
    Session Drummer 3 for mic'ed drums (Cakewalk)

Enjoy the piece. It was fun to put together.

A Spring Thing
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: A Spring Thing

You Go, Rich! Hot Electric Piano lead licks! - And the whole production sounds creamy, solid, smooth, right there up front in volume, and a great pleasure to listen to.

Thanks for the tech notes - That looks like an interesting thing you did with the drums. You used a JABB kit as overhead mike ambience, and Session Drummer for the close miked sound. Pretty clever - So you had the JABB set with a lot of reverb, and then used the Cakewalk set with little or no reverb, both playing the same MIDI file. Do I have all that right?

I noticed you used the GPO Steinway and not the JABB Steinway for the rhythm piano - You just prefer the mellower sound of the GPO?

Big round of applause, Rich - and I like it that you wrote this in anticipation of warmer weather. I do my best to abide by the cooler winter months, but always look forward to the warmer times of year, so this put me right there in the same mood as you.

Thanks much for posting the really nice track.

Randy

Randy said:
    That looks like an interesting thing you did with the drums. You used a JABB kit as overhead mike ambience, and Session Drummer for the close miked sound. Pretty clever - So you had the JABB set with a lot of reverb, and then used the Cakewalk set with little or no reverb, both playing the same MIDI file. Do I have all that right?
    That is exactly right. There was no reverb on the mic'ed individual session drums but Jabb Jazz set was heavily reverbed and placed very low volume in the mix. I felt it gave the drums a bit warmer (no pun) sound that way instead of introducing reverb to the entire drum mix.

You are also correct on the GPO Steinway. For me it is a little more mellow and fits in the mix with the guitar better.

Thanks for listening.

Rich

Rich,

One of my favorite types of music is bossa, and when it is a good one
    it puts a smile on my face and makes me move to the tempo
    even if I’m sitting on my chair…

And yours just did that!

I like the warm sound of the instruments as they happily
    glide along the keys or strings,
    streaming nicely and feeling sunshiny.

I hope you will have many sunshiny days even in your winter
    so that the wait for spring will be shorter.

Very nicely done!

~ Yudit ~

most jazz is outside my normal comfort zone, but I also happen to love a good bossa nova.

I like the "improv" sections least, but that's me. I'm not a fan of jazz improv, never have been.

But your main theme is wonderfully catchy, and has a great angular outline with some really nice "surprises" in its outline. I can easily picture myself dancing to this (used to compete in ballroom, MANY springs ago).

Enjoyed your Bossa Rich.

The jazz improv was a nice break from the smooth. It hits your brain in a different place.

The True Piano sounded great on the smooth lead but I was kind of wanting to hear a mellow sax for at least one section.

Very Nice!

Phil

Yudit,
    One of my favorite types of music is bossa, and when it is a good one
    it puts a smile on my face and makes me move to the tempo
    even if I’m sitting on my chair
    It's nice to think of you dancing in your chair. I am so glad you liked it and enjoyed it.

As for always having sunny days. Music gives me those days even when NE Ohio is bleak and cold in the winter.

Rich

Michel,

Thank you for the comments and analysis of the piece. I liked the contrast of the piano in the melody (angular as you said) and the smooth and quick motion in the solo. It was what I was looking for. I am glad you were reminded (and I hope fondly) of you ballroom dancing days. That was what I liked about the days that I played in big bands i.e. watching all the dancers glide around on the floor. That was something, unfortunately, that I could never do.

Rich

Phil,

On reflection, you are probably right on. Adding one more solo for sax would have been nice for this piece. Maybe I will do just that.

Thanks for listening and commenting on the piece.

Rich

Nice tune and nice performance. Good solo too. No horns? What's up with that
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2009c and 2011 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Go Back to forum