• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Wilds - a Skyrim inspired piece.

Share/Bookmark

The Wilds - a Skyrim inspired piece.

Suddenly the forum is alive with talk of music from games. Most it from me though, and Friendly Floyd. So if that post title means nothing to you, don't worry.

Jeremy Soule is a composer for a game I like called Elder Scrolls Skyrim, and its full of great music.

Inspired by this, as I'm playing it more when I should be composing, I wrote this piece:

The Wilds - YOUTUBE

If you don't or can't view youtube (Looking at no one in particular, Randy)
    You can listen here - but its not direct.

On indaba I called it Into the Wilds - and it should be 4th in the list. It's also a 'mastered' version on indaba - so you might prefer it to the youtube one, despite the purdy pictures.

4th track - Into the Wilds

I forgot to mention - I wanted to find a use for the 'lush' string patches in GPO. I overlayed them with the normal patches, as I think is their function. But the result is actually lush - does what it says on the tin. The main violin melody is not GPO however, as are neither other elements like the percussion.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: The Wilds - a Skyrim inspired piece.

Me likey.

I just logged off my new pair of Worgen in WoW... (I'm a dual-boxer). WoW has some awesome music.

I was very tempted by Skyrim, but I've just heard so many people talk about bugs and glitches and all sorts of problems. It really looks like a beautiful game.

And yes, there IS some really beautiful music in modern games (and music on some websites that SHOULD be in games *cough*the wilds *cough*).

Was that the solo voice from the Garritan library? or from another?

Sounds really great, Graham - You almost (notice-Almost) make me want to play video games.

You said the lead violin is from another library, I think it's fine to let the curious know from which. --And the choir. And the percussion. It's fun to know what the sources are when they're not Garritan.

Super.

Randy

Very nice.

Thanks for sharing,

Ryan

Thanks all, and Randy will be playing Mario Bros. any day now, just you wait and see...

Skyrim isn't too glitchy at all - there's only minor issues, no more so than any other game I've played.

Its been really stable - logged a lot of hours in it and it crashed once only.

Anyhoo here's a breakdown of the the piece - using all the libaries I have (except the Garritan Steinway)

Strings - GPO KS and Lush patch overlays
    Basses
    Celli
    Violas
    2nd violins

Strings are supported by CineOrch where needed.

1st violins - PS Symphobia
    Brass and horns - PS Symphobia

Percussion - East West QL Gold
    Solo Cello - East West QL Gold

Choir and solo patch - Voxos Epic Choirs

I really want EW word building choir, but I've drawn the line at buying new libraries when I don't really need them. I'm still paying off Symphobia...got it half price, but that's still 400 euro...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Man that does sound nice. I'll have to use the lush overlay trick myself. It really warms up those strings quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing. I'm not a gamer myself, but I do like much of the modern gaming music I hear.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Man that does sound nice. I'll have to use the lush overlay trick myself. It really warms up those strings quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing. I'm not a gamer myself, but I do like much of the modern gaming music I hear.
    Works great, but needs some good EQ'ing, compression and dynamic enhancement. I run them through a mastering suite in Ableton Live - makes a big difference.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I enjoyed this very much. I am not a "game person" but this music was very inspiring, and I liked the graphics also. This has a very full, film like sound to it. I think it is incredible how far sampling software has come.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    I enjoyed this very much. I am not a "game person" but this music was very inspiring, and I liked the graphics also. This has a very full, film like sound to it. I think it is incredible how far sampling software has come.
    Thanks for posting. Jay
    Thanks for the comments Jay - full film sound is usually what I'm striving for with these type of pieces. Soon I'll try something more intimate - small orchestra.

Yes the sample software has really opened my eyes - I hadn't bothered composing anything in nearly 7 years until I heard of GPO and Finale - now I use a DAW and a few libraries and its just great.

Glad you all enjoyed it.

Regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Really nice music in the epic film/game genre. The composition is very good. Nice rendering also, I especially think you did a great job with strings. They do sound very lush and natural.
    Halvor

Go Back to forum