• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony 1, mvt i, looking for input

Share/Bookmark

Symphony 1, mvt i, looking for input

For your ears:
    http://www.suspenlute.com/stuff/ploran-1-i-draft.mp3

(a PDF version of the manuscript will be available soon... hopefully some time before tomorrow night but I don't know how much time I have to work on it )

For your eyes:
    A while back I decided I wasn't good enough at music to continue working with it. The thoroughly miserable year that followed made me realize that (cliched as it sounds) my music may not be much, but it's literally almost all I have so I might as well see it through to the end.

So, with that out of the way... I'm currently working on a neoclassical symphony using themes from Japanese folk songs. I'm a miniaturist by nature (as are, oddly enough, many Japanese traditional artists) so don't expect anything huge and sprawling. Just enough to entertain an audience for 15-20 minutes or so.

This first movement is in something like traditional sonata form except for using rough approximations of the Japanese "In" and "Do" scales (instead of minor and major keys) and the absence of modulatory bridge passages (which often confuse me - a "transitional passage" from minor to relative major seems about as necessary as a "transitional fruit" between peaches and nectarines). The A and B themes are both derived from traditional Japanese melodies, though by now so thoroughly transformed that I'm worried actually identifying them would confuse rather than clarify. I'll provide links if anyone is curious.

The (relatively modest) Orchestra So Far...
    2 Flutes (one doubling alto flute ad. lib.)
    2 Oboes
    2 Clarinets
    1 Bass Clarinet
    2 Bassoons
    4 Horns
    2 Trumpets
    2 Trombones
    1 Tuba
    Timpani (4)
    Bass Drum
    Cymbals
    Marimba, Glockenspiel, Triangle (one player for all three if necessary)
    Harp
    1st & 2nd Violins
    Violas
    Cellos
    Double Basses

I have this recording labeled as a "draft" because I'm not sure it's reached its final form yet. If anyone has ideas or suggestions for how it could be effective, I'll take them very seriously.

Cheers
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: Symphony 1, mvt i, looking for input

Hi, I'll get the ball rolling and state that I really like what you've done with mixing the trad Japanese melodies with the more standard classical set up. Also very well orchestrated from what I hear, getting a full sound from the setup you have.

What library did you use - it sounds like Garritan to me, and if so you should repost this in the Garrtian listening room here as its quite active at times and you'll get more feedback.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Symphony 1, mvt i, looking for input

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hi, I'll get the ball rolling and state that I really like what you've done with mixing the trad Japanese melodies with the more standard classical set up. Also very well orchestrated from what I hear, getting a full sound from the setup you have.

What library did you use - it sounds like Garritan to me, and if so you should repost this in the Garrtian listening room here as its quite active at times and you'll get more feedback.
    Heh.... my bad, I thought this WAS the Garritan listening room.
    Thanks.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum