• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How are you guys getting strings to swell and decay?

Share/Bookmark

How are you guys getting strings to swell and decay?

I\'ve noticed lately alot of talk about adding more stuff to enhance swells and decays for strings in Gigastudio. I\'m 100 percent for this. I\'m having a hard time trying to get my strings to swell and decay. I hate it when strings just cutoff when you release a note. I\'ve added some release in the Giga editor, but it just makes the strings sound more fake. Do any of you use expression pedals?
    Is there a way to assign my keyboard modulation to adjust the volume of the strings? If so, how do you do this in Gigastudio? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: How are you guys getting strings to swell and decay?

I use the MOD wheel to fade the volume up and down. It works well.

Of course you can use the volume pedal if you got one, but I prefer the MOD wheel.

Ewen

How do I do this?

What I do is very painstaking - *every single note* in each exposed voice gets its own attack, swell (usually), and decay, drawn with controller 11. Sometimes, to compensate for not-so-good attacks in the samples, I\'ll start the note early, zeroing out cc11 until it\'s time for the note to sound. And I often alternate the notes of a single line between tracks so that I can get a better pseudo-legato. If you\'re interested you can hear what this sounds like at www.mp3.com/BillClark (though, as IOComposer noticed, I got lazy in the fast part of the string piece, so the Debussy is probably a better example).

I do all this stuff by hand because I haven\'t found any way to approximate realistic legato lines by just playing them, no matter what combination of vol pedal/mod wheel etc. I use.

It\'s a lot of work and incredibly time-consuming.

Disclaimer: I\'m no expert on this stuff, in fact I consider myself still a newbie in the sampling world. So, you experts out there: Am I doing more work than I need to? Anybody know any short-cuts that still give you a decent legato?

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 02-04-2001).]

I figured it out. All I had to do was to assign my keyboards mod slider to volume or expression and I can control the swells and decays. Yeah, whatever! I still get terrible results. I\'m so sick of \"painstakingly\" trying to get strings to sound naturally expressive. It\'s really starting to take away from my composing having to spend all of this time tweaking out note velocities As a matter of fact, I think it is the hardest thing to program personally. I sure do hope Garys new library is gonna blow all of these string libraries away. I\'ve heard all of them, except Kirk Hunters, and I have to say I\'m pretty disappointed with what is out there.
    I think I had better results with my roland orchestral 2 expansion board that only cost 220 bucks! I thought the string ensembles on that sounded better then some of the Miroslav string ensembles. The roland strings were alot more lush with a softer attack and better decay for legato phrasing. I know some of you might disagree, but at least my roland strings didn\'t have tuning problems like some of Miroslavs samples. My friend who has the Miroslav library said that some of the samples dont even fit with the rest of the samples. He said there was one particularly great violin patch that sounded good in all ranges except it had one note sounding like it was sampled from an old synthesizer! It Didn\'t even sound like the same instrument he said.
    Anyone heard any update on when Garys library might be available? Also, is Kirk Hunters library better then Miroslavs string ensembles? I desperately need some better strings then the advanced orchestra compact edition I\'m using now.
    OYE VE!

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 02-05-2001).]

Damon and Ursatz:

I (and many others writing film and TV soundtracks) use a fader box like the Peavey PC 1600 (for example), with the fader asigned to volum controller #7. It has a longer throw than what your keyboard probably does so there\'s plenty of room for expressive swells etc. With practice it works great, and once you start getting good results by varying your fades up and down etc it becomes second nature. I use it on brass and woodwinds constantly: I never play anything without one hand on the fader adjusting the \"expression\".

As far as realistic ensmeble strings go, I still us roland\'s ensemble strings from \"Orchestral Family\" CDs more than anything else. Great realism and orc p is still on of the most beautiful patches.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    \"I (and many others writing film and TV soundtracks) use a fader box like the Peavey PC 1600 (for example), with the fader asigned to volum controller #7. It has a longer throw than what your keyboard probably does so. . . .

Robert: Is the fader\'s throw longer than an Expression Pedal like the EV-5? Thanks,

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    ...With practice it works great, and once you start getting good results by varying your fades up and down etc it becomes second nature...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robert,

Thanks for the information - I\'d love to have an easier way to do this stuff! A couple of questions: Do you have any examples of music produced this way that we could listen to? And, do you have to do much hand-editing of the controller data with this method?

Thanks again,
    Bill

>>but at least my roland strings didn\'t have tuning problems like some of Miroslavs samples.<<

For all those wanting to correct bad pitched samples...: http://www.celemony.com

Their new MELODYNE might be the solution...

I\'m having pretty good luck with the Advanced Orchestra strings and a Kenton Control Freak (similar to the Peavey 1600 mentioned earlier). If you use the AO crossfaded patches, you can not only change the volume on the fly, but the timbre of the note.

I read somewhere that the Roland strings were actually borrowed from the AO set, but I don\'t remember where I read it. Roland says that their stuff was recorded \"in Eastern Europe\" which is also where AO was recorded.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 02-05-2001).]

Go Back to forum