• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spitfire Solo Strings, String Quartet No 1, movement #1

Share/Bookmark

Spitfire Solo Strings, String Quartet No 1, movement #1

Hi all,

I know solo strings have attracted interest here in the past so I thought it worth sharing this early attempt using the new Spitfire Audio Solo Strings library. This is the first movement of a String Quartet I wrote a couple of years ago. It needs further development so I will be redoing this over Christmas, paying more attention to dynamics and using a better reverb than the rather inappropriate Concert Hall variety used here.

This is straight out of Finale 2011 with no tweaking in a DAW.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

Regards,

Graham

www.soundclick.com/grahamkeitch

Re: Spitfire Solo Strings, String Quartet No 1, movement #1

Hey Graham! Your music sounds nice to me. I have not heard of 'spitfire', but I am going to look into it to see if I could find some use for it. In this render, I think the cello was a little overbearing at times. Maybe it could use a little less EQ on the bottom. This is just a thought. Anyway, nice post. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Graham! Your music sounds nice to me. I have not heard of 'spitfire', but I am going to look into it to see if I could find some use for it. In this render, I think the cello was a little overbearing at times. Maybe it could use a little less EQ on the bottom. This is just a thought. Anyway, nice post. Jay.

Thanks Jay,

Good spot re the cello! For some reason, I had this one set at a higher vol than the rest - probably because I love its warm and expessive sound! I've pulled it back and the balance is now improved. Thanks for your assistance with that.

I'm really impressed with this library. It is definitely worth checking out.

I've re-rendered part of the second movement too:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

Regards,

Graham

A pleasing little composition. Actually I think the cello is fine (with any sample library the higher strings are always more critical of course) and I don't think it needs to be adjusted. I have listened to real string quartets in worse halls than this! The flowing (and interweaving) nature of the piece is enjoyable. The pizzicato fits in nicely and apart from a tiny number of tweaks on the portamento maybe, it's got a good natural sound.
    Rendalli

Quote Originally Posted by rendalli View Post
    A pleasing little composition. Actually I think the cello is fine (with any sample library the higher strings are always more critical of course) and I don't think it needs to be adjusted. I have listened to real string quartets in worse halls than this! The flowing (and interweaving) nature of the piece is enjoyable. The pizzicato fits in nicely and apart from a tiny number of tweaks on the portamento maybe, it's got a good natural sound.
    Many thanks Rendalli,

Yep, I need to tame the portamento in places. This is controllable and needs a little more experimentation. The piece has a Celtic feel to it (especially the second movement) - but without a little taming, there can be occasions when it sounds as if one or two of the players have been on the single malt!

Thanks also for your feedback on the cello. I did reduce the presence of the cello following Jay's comments so I suspect what you heard subsequently is the result of that.

Best wishes,

Graham

Nice composition and nice library! I hope you continue working on it. I like the free-flowing, yet pensiveness of the piece.

Go Back to forum