• Register
  • Help

Topic: Live performance of a Percussion Ensemble originally posted here!

Share/Bookmark

Live performance of a Percussion Ensemble originally posted here!

Hello everybody! This is sort of a where-I've-been-plus-cool-news-update thing post. I never was much of a frequent-poster here, but I certainly was a frequent reader of these lovely forums. I started drifting away a bit last winter during my final semester of college. Between that and work, I was quite busy. Then I graduated, yay! That was followed by work and job-searching. I found a job back in my home state of Indiana. I was given the offer a day before my appendix ruptured! A week in the hospital plus a couple weeks of home-recovery followed by a 500 mile move and starting a new job. So! In the mean time, I had been posting some music that I had posted here on youtube along with the sheet music for anyone who wanted it. As it turns out, the first percussion ensemble I wrote using GPO (second composition overall that used GPO) caught the eye of someone at a high school in Hillsboro Oregon. Just last Tuesday the ensemble was performed at their winter concert.

To be honest, I was surprised to see a high school percussion ensemble tackle this piece as it contains a lot of syncopation in 6/8-time that I would have considered difficult to play. It does sound a bit off-kilter at the beginning, but a lot of that is how it is written (a lot of duples vs. triples). What I thought was most impressive was that they handled all of it without a conductor. Though I know at that level, performing without a conductor is fairly standard, it still surprised me.

Anyways, many thanks to Jacob (3rd from the left on xylophone) for taking the time and effort to gather the people to perform this, it certainly has given me something to think about other than the stress of other things this year. And of course, many thanks to those of you on this forum that have over the years given me the encouragement that helped me decide to make my music more public and not locked away in the confines of my hard drive!

Here is the live performance:
    http://youtu.be/jpU_dVHfmGw

And here is the original video that uses GPO (though I think the vibraphone was just SoftSynth MIDI)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3n-H_ZbtJc

Thanks again, and hopefully now that I've gotten settled into my new place and job, I'll be able to visit here more often!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Live performance of a Percussion Ensemble originally posted here!

WOW! and CONGRATULATIONS, Michael!

Oh man - what a thrill, having those talented young people perform your piece. I think they did a great job - The hall looks nice too, impressive that they have full rear screen projections.

Please stick around - great things really are on the horizon. We need the whole Garritan Gang here again.

So great, Michael - THANKS for showing us!

Randy

How I miss the days of percussion ensemble. Awesome Michael ... simply awesome! Really brings back memories. (and some sore finger too).
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    WOW! and CONGRATULATIONS, Michael!

Oh man - what a thrill, having those talented young people perform your piece. I think they did a great job - The hall looks nice too, impressive that they have full rear screen projections.

Please stick around - great things really are on the horizon. We need the whole Garritan Gang here again.

So great, Michael - THANKS for showing us!

Randy
    Haha, I thought the stage was impressive, too! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm hoping to be able to make my way to the forums here more often, I'm glad to still see some familiar faces around, too!

And thanks Styxx, I'm glad you liked it, this certainly brings back memories for me as well!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum