• Register
  • Help

Topic: O Little Town of Bethlehem - smooth jazz style

Share/Bookmark

O Little Town of Bethlehem - smooth jazz style

I know I still have a piece of music on the first page in the listening room, but being so close to Christmas, I wanted to share this with the community. I did this last summer with hopes of making it onto the Garritan Christmas album. Obviously, I didn't get on the album but I still felt that some here would enjoy hearing it.

Happy Holidays to all and Merry Christmas to the Garritan Community.

O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: O Little Town of Bethlehem - smooth jazz style

Nothing like a little Christmas jazz to get me through the working day...cheers!

Not sure about the 1 piece only on page 1 rule - maybe for a time when the forum was a lot busier, but now I'd rather people just posted (within reason of course).
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

The style reminded me of "Crazy" by Willie Nelson.

There are a couple of chord changes that sound strange to me. It would be on the word "How still we see thee lie" toward the beginning of the verse. It seems like there needs to be a chord change where there isn't one and similarly on "silent" just another phrase later. Then again it might just be the bass note too.

Anyway nice feel and nice solos too.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

This was nice to listen to. The flugle horn is my favorite garritan instrument. It has a warm sound and it is easy to
    work with. Thanks for posting.
    Jay

I totally agree that everyone with Christmas music should get it up here in time for the holiday!--And, it's a good point that the previous rule about waiting until our pieces go off the front page probably doesn't make much sense anymore. All year I've been waiting for a month, more, before posting new MP3s- With fewer people posting music, we can probably lighten up on that guidelines without ruffling feathers.

You've done a lot of re-voicing of chords in this Carol, Rich. When there's a tune so well known and loved as "O Little Town," I think most people's ears are unwilling to go very far afield from the traditional progression. We may want them to follow along and accept our re-voicings, but it can be a bit of a battle. Swinkler was talking about this also in his response.

One of the major changes in this rendition is an early return to the tonic, so the phrase on "ever lasting light" doesn't have that pretty shifting from the third, the mediant to the tonic and the main theme "O little." I think people's ears are missing that phrase especially. And throughout there are some pronounced dissonances as the melody sits on top of the re-voiced chords, and it's interesting, but it may all be too large a dose of the unexpected. - When we come to the ad-lib solos, we can't recognize what the song is, since the chord structure beneath the solos is so very different from the original tune.

Not to say it isn't interesting work, and I think it's always a good idea for there to be jazzy pieces included in the Garritan Community Christmas CD. I'm just hypothesizing about why this very unique version of "Bethlehem" was maybe found to be just a bit too far out of the box for the rather traditional concept of the Garritan CD.

Thanks for letting us hear, Rich!

Randy

I thank you all for the responses. They are appreciated.

Plowking,

I didn't want to ruffle anyone by posting so close to another piece that I had done and your comment is taken well. With the fewere posts we have been getting recently, I probably didn't have to worry.

Swinkler,

[QUOTE][The style reminded me of "Crazy" by Willie Nelson. /QUOTE]

I didn't really think it that way but on listening, it kind of fits. I was really after a "Charlie Brown Christmas" type of piece, but as I got going it turned into more of a Montivanni strings version. The far out chording is what has probably made it tough to get wrapped around a christmas tune feel. I'm glad you listened and commented.

JaynKate01

Thanks for listening and commenting. The fluegal is a nice mellow sounding horn and Garritan did a good job in rendering it.

Randy,

That is quite a detailed analysis you made. I'm impressed at how well you hear and get a grasp of musical concepts. You are probably right in the concept of taking Christmas tunes to far afield of there original structure, but like I said earlier, I was after a jazzy "Charlie Brown Christmas" feel when I started the work. I must have gotten to far out in left field. But it was fun putting it together.

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Good to hear your stuff, as always! I thought it had Mancini-ish overtones. Nonetheless, it's such a pretty composition and your treatment was rather fresh; very pleasant!

Best regards and Happy New year!

Frank

Thanks Frank!

I appreciate the comment. I wanted to try a different approach and chordal harmony. It was fun making the piece flow and get that string texture along with the choral texture in the background. I am glad you liked it.

And... Happy New Year to you as well!

Rich

Go Back to forum