• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Hi,

    I have the full GPO, but also have Finale, which includes some Garritan instruments, some from GPO, but others as well.

    The Finale Garritan instruments come with their own player, a scaled-down Aria player.

    My question is--is it possible to use the Finale instruments with the regular Aria player that comes with GPO?

    If so, how does one get the regular Aria player to recognize the Finale Garritan instruments?

    Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.

  2. #2

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    Hi,

    I have the full GPO, but also have Finale, which includes some Garritan instruments, some from GPO, but others as well.

    The Finale Garritan instruments come with their own player, a scaled-down Aria player.

    My question is--is it possible to use the Finale instruments with the regular Aria player that comes with GPO?

    If so, how does one get the regular Aria player to recognize the Finale Garritan instruments?

    Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.
    Are you wanting to do this because you prefer the regular Aria player? The Finale player is too limiting somehow?

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    the best place to ask this is on the official Finale forums.
    there is a bunch of information missing from your question, that would be critical to helping you get GPO working within Finale.

    someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Aria player that comes with Garritan Instruments for Finale is the exact same one as comes with GPO-4.

  4. #4

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    the best place to ask this is on the official Finale forums.
    there is a bunch of information missing from your question, that would be critical to helping you get GPO working within Finale.

    someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Aria player that comes with Garritan Instruments for Finale is the exact same one as comes with GPO-4.
    You got it backwards. I did not ask about using GPO within Finale. (There are actually other posts about that on this forum.)

    I asked about using the Finale instruments within GPO, rather than having to use the separate Aria player that comes with Finale for those sounds. (As I wrote, the Finale Garritan instruments are not just a subset of GPO. They include some sounds from GPO, but others from other Garritan libraries. So it is useful for a GPO user to have the Finale instruments too. Rather than having to play them from a separate Aria player, I would prefer to use them from the same Aria player as GPO. The question is--how to have the GPO aria player recognize them? (That is not a question to ask MakeMusic, but to ask Garritan, and perhaps Plogue.)

    Regarding Randy's question--do I find the Finale aria player too limiting? I don't know. I haven't yet tried it much. (I would think it might be, as the Garritan Finale instruments are a minor part of the full Finale program.) In any case, I think it would certainly be simpler to play all Aria instruments with the same Aria player, rather than having separate Aria players.

    How does that work, for example, with different Garritan packages? For instance, one has GPO, then buys JABB. Can both instrument sets be played from the same Aria player, or would one have to install a separate Aria player for JABB?

  5. #5

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    I don't see why the Finale instruments should not play from the same Aria player as the full GPO.
    The jazz and big band and other libraries all play from the same aria player.

    By the way, asking on the Finale forum isn't a bad place. After all, who else but Finale users would have the Finale version of GPO installed? And plenty of Finale users also use external DAWs. And of course, add to that, Finale employees sometimes come around to answer more technically oriented questions about the products.

  6. #6
    Senior Member caher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    146

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    I just just checked and the Finale Garritan instruments show up in the Standard Aria player in addition to the Finale Aria player. It looks as if the Orchestral instruments in Finale GPO are a subset of the standard GPO but there are some additional instruments (probably from JABB, etc.) and a lite version of Virtual Drumline along with some other GM stuff.

    Chris

  7. #7

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    ...

    How does that work, for example, with different Garritan packages? For instance, one has GPO, then buys JABB. Can both instrument sets be played from the same Aria player, or would one have to install a separate Aria player for JABB?
    Slowly, but surely, I think you're getting the info you need. Now it's already been said since your post I'm quoting, that all of the current versions of the Garritan line of Libraries can indeed be mixed and matched together in Aria. You don't need separate instances of Aria to accommodate using different Libraries.

    But there's only room for 16 instruments in one instance of Aria. So, one often needs 2, 3 or even more instances to fill out an orchestration. That's why it doesn't really matter if you open one instance of the Finale Aria for those special Garritan instruments, and another for GPO and whatever else you may have. For most pieces, you'll need more than 2 instances of Aria anyway.

    Randy

  8. #8

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Quote Originally Posted by caher View Post
    I just just checked and the Finale Garritan instruments show up in the Standard Aria player in addition to the Finale Aria player. It looks as if the Orchestral instruments in Finale GPO are a subset of the standard GPO but there are some additional instruments (probably from JABB, etc.) and a lite version of Virtual Drumline along with some other GM stuff.

    Chris
    I don't think I see the Finale instruments in the regular Aria player (GPO version). Is there something you do to get the GPO Aria player to recognize them, to add them to its database, etc.?

  9. #9

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Slowly, but surely, I think you're getting the info you need. Now it's already been said since your post I'm quoting, that all of the current versions of the Garritan line of Libraries can indeed be mixed and matched together in Aria. You don't need separate instances of Aria to accommodate using different Libraries.

    But there's only room for 16 instruments in one instance of Aria. So, one often needs 2, 3 or even more instances to fill out an orchestration. That's why it doesn't really matter if you open one instance of the Finale Aria for those special Garritan instruments, and another for GPO and whatever else you may have. For most pieces, you'll need more than 2 instances of Aria anyway.

    Randy
    True, you may need separate instances, certainly to get more than 16 Aria tracks.

    However, you don't need separate installations to use separate instances.

    Therefore, if they will all play from the same Aria player, unless the Aria players vary to be better suited to the sound set in question, it would be simpler to only have one installation of the Aria player.

  10. #10

    Re: How to use Garritan Instruments for Finale with regular Aria player

    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    I don't think I see the Finale instruments in the regular Aria player (GPO version). Is there something you do to get the GPO Aria player to recognize them, to add them to its database, etc.?
    Hello Maiki,

    I am using Finale 2012. Which version of Finale do you have?

    If you opted to install the Garritan instruments when installing Finale then the Aria Player, which is the same Aria used in the the full GPO, would have been installed together with the Finale set of Garritan instruments all ready to use. There should be nothing more you need to do.

    I would emphasise that the Finale set is an install option which some people miss when installing Finale. If you did follow this option then the Finale set should be there.

    My following screenshot shows the standalone version of Aria showing the Finale set of instruments.



    Regarding using the full GPO with Finale. I would also mention that for users of Finale (and other notation programs) the full GPO installs two sets of instruments, the 'Standard' set and the 'Notation' set.

    When using the full GPO within Finale be sure to use the 'Notation' set. The 'Standard' set is for use within programs such as 'Sonar' (which is what I have) etc. The reasons for having the two sets of instruments involves the differing way in which Finale handles some aspects of the MIDI data.

    My following screenshot shows the two 'Standard' and 'Notation' sets of instruments.



    Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •