• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan purchased by Makemusic!

Garritan purchased by Makemusic!

Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Garritan purchased by Makemusic!

Woa. Didn't see that coming. Well at least us notation users should be covered
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

If this means that Garritan products aren't on the market anymore as stand-alone applications, then count me out. I don't like Finale at all. Purchased it, tried it, made some scores with it and finally .... in the dustbin. Hopefully, Garritan respects his old time customers by releasing new products fit for any notation program/sequencer.

Somehow I wonder if this will be a good thing. Is it likely that everything will change and be just part of the package. Still things that don't change decay away. We'll see what happens.

As a Cubase user, I hope that the libraries keep to all sequencers
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Well, I for one am happy about this news.
    It means that finally Garritan products will get a bit more notation attention.
    I use Finale and love it. It's the most powerful notation program out there right now, and it has fabulous playback. Much better than its competition.

But the interaction between Finale and GPO could use some tweaking, particularly as concerns HumanPlayback.

I think it's silly to think that MakeMusic will suddenly stop support of non-notation use of Garritan libraries.

What does cause me a bit of concern now, however, is, where does this leave the as-yet unreleased libraries that are supposedly in the pipeline?

Has Garritan been holding off on news about the "in development" string library because they KNEW that they were selling out to another company?

Has Garritan simply sold off what pre-exists of the Garritan libraries, to allow themselves to start a new company, taking along their future projects?
    This latter is far more worrisome to me. This would definitely open the door to future Garritan libraries (or whatever name the new product would take) NOT being notation-friendly.

I'm floored!

Some questions need to be answered.

1) Will this forum remain intact?

2) Will non-Finale users still be able to get Garritan Instruments?

3) Will new libraries be made e.g. Solo Strings, Choir, ect. ?

I would have like to have had a forum notice as soon as it was possible by Gary and company so that we would not have gotten this second hand. I know there is good reason to keep mergers like this quiet but at what point do you let your faithful followers know what is happening.

Even with the questions, I remain faithful to a wonderful product and an excellent forum of friends and musical family.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

In the official announcement on the Finale forum, it says

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Philips at MakeMusic
    Founder Gary Garritan will be joining MakeMusic as director of instrumental sciences. Closing is subject to customary conditions and is expected to occur within the next few weeks.

My guess is we'll have to wait a few weeks to get our questions answered.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Complete news to me.

It is premature to speculate what this means about the future of the Garritan Libraries, both the current ones and the yet-to-be released Libraries. --There's no reason to think this means there won't be stand-alone applications, or that non-notation users will be left out in the cold --suppositions like that aren't based on any logic.

SO--obviously we can only wait and see what it all means.

Orcas Island

Its' true! Garritan is about to become a part of MakeMusic! I'll post a more formal announcement later.

I am very glad about this coming together. We have had an excellent relationship with MakeMusic for over seven years. MakeMusic is a top-notch company with a talented team, a history of success, a passion for excellence, and a very bright future. This means we'll have a lot more resources to continue on and do this things we have always wanted to do.

Our libraries will continue to work and be developed with other hosts and sequencers. We're not limiting, but rather expanding.

This is a very positive development, and I'll still be here, but now as part of the MakeMusic family.

Go Back to forum