• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question about Instant Orchestra. Yes, already.

Share/Bookmark

Question about Instant Orchestra. Yes, already.

So I just got home from work and after checking gmail and facebook I had to come here to see if those new strings were here yet.

I really REALLY want to buy Instant Orchestra right now but I have a question or so before I purchase it and I couldn't find the user manual to download. As it stands I love GPO and I'm well acquainted with creating sections and writing parts for both solo and sectional instruments. As far as that goes GPO is more than sufficient. All I really care about are the features of the strings in Instant Orchestra. I see that it has solo strings as well as "expressive vibrato". So do I finally get to control the amount of vibrato via a controller or mod wheel on solo violins? I wasn't around when the stradivari library was available but it's my understanding that it's still one of the most advanced sampled solo library. Are those features now available in Instant Orchestra? Let me tell you, I've set aside cash specifically for this library and since everyone in my apartment went home for Christmas I can download the whole thing in probably 45 minutes. (That's fast for this place!)

If not, I'm just going to purchase JABB and I'll still be just as happy.

(I'm going to go to the grocery store now. When I come back someone better have answered my question Today is a good day!!!)

Re: Question about Instant Orchestra. Yes, already.

Wow this snuck up on me! Randy also did some of the great sounding demos.

I have to say it is pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be. To compare it, its very like the approach used in PS Symphobia, but at a fraction of the cost.

It sounds great too from the demos, and looks like an amazing compliment to GPO4 (not a full replacement).

I'm hovering over the purchase button...but I'll wait to see what the responses are to queries.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I have to say though, the choir samples sound pretty stellar and that's almost enough to sell me on it's own. I've been wanting better choir samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    ...All I really care about are the features of the strings in Instant Orchestra. I see that it has solo strings as well as "expressive vibrato". So do I finally get to control the amount of vibrato via a controller or mod wheel on solo violins?...)
    Wow--I just got in after being gone this afternoon, and I see Gary's surprised us all, and I Do mean All, with this preview of what Instant Orchestra!

If I could still insert smilies (all post controls are gone for me now on Firefox), I'd reach for a sheepish looking one since I've had to just whistle and look innocent on the thread asking "What the heck is IO?"--but I was part of the Beta testing team, and cooked up a couple of demos.

Before answering the specific questions above--allow me to say--omg this is a fun Library. It's so cleverly programmed that anyone doing Anything with music and a computer can get great use out of it. Really - It can be a great "instant gratification" tool for someone just needing a big orchestral punch to a project, but it can also be used by someone composing "serious music" and who'd like to get some layers built up more quickly, and with more impressive results.

Dane, you asked about the "expressive vibrato" on the strings. - Every string patch (and you can see from the info page that there are many string patches)--has a much more detailed control page in Aria than strings in GPO. All of those string patches, for instance, have AfterTouch assigned to vibrato, and CC17 assigned to vibrato control. Finally - true vibrato control on strings! There are other new controls - I'll let you discover them on your own - you have Massive control over the sound of the instruments now.

You mis-read the list of strings instruments - There are "Solo Strings Overlays" included to beef up section patches, but no solo strings per se. The kind of intricate control over solo strings that you mention as being legendary with the Stradivari and Gofriller Cello is beyond what can be included in a package like this. Those solo strings, during their brief lifespan, cost more then this entire Library. But even though solo strings aren't included, the string patches that Are included will instantly beef up and bring some great and lively nuance to what you're already doing with GPO.

Even though I've been testing this Library, I still find it difficult to describe. Getting your hands on it gives the user more instant understanding than any description could, or what the manual can do when it's available.

So--SURPRISE--here we are with possibly the most amazing Garritan Library to date.

Randy

Well that's cool! Thanks for the responses. Now I'll have to decide whether or not I want saxophones or string layers. Any plans for advanced solo strings?

I think I can guess what happened here. I have several friends that use Finale and have trashed virtual instruments as a whole because of a lack of realism. I use Sonar so once I figured out what was going on I left those hombres in the dust. (Thank heavens for the piano roll view and controllers) I praised GPO while they have loathed it. I'm guessing the main idea behind Instant Orchestra is making it easier for users who don't know how to use controllers but do know how to use notation software. This will help them retain some of the Finale customers and the casual users they were losing due to a lack of understanding how to use controllers.

This might be an offensive thing to say but I'm going to say it anyway. Garritan's developers will probably be the best thing that ever happened to Make Music and Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    ...I have several friends that use Finale and have trashed virtual instruments as a whole because of a lack of realism. I use Sonar so once I figured out what was going on I left those hombres in the dust. (Thank heavens for the piano roll view and controllers)...
    There are Finale "power users" like David "Et Lux" and Michel "qccowboy" who would gladly instruct those whiny Finale users and probably give them a good spanking at the same time. They, and others like them, are able to produce natural sounding recordings from Finale while still getting totally professional "print outs"-- They're justifiably "power users" precisely because they're able to accomplish the two tasks, rendering and notation with Finale.

Notation users who aren't getting results as satisfactory as those Big Boys and who complain about it, are simply not learning their programs well enough. They're expecting to sit and hand insert notes and have the playback be Hollywood.

I'm actually replying because it was a revelation to me when I first joined this Forum some years ago, and discovered how many people were using notation programs and expecting to make great recordings from them. I knew there were people concerned about having good print outs, but I really hadn't realized that some people were actually expecting to generate Recordings from these programs. Back then I thought it was only reasonable to expect good recordings when using programs dedicated to that purpose--"sequencers" like Cubase and Sonar.

I still don't understand how people like David and Michel manage to get the great aural results they do, because I'm a Sonar guy, I gotta play me keyboards, dig super deep into me MIDI controllers, do everything I can with the audio--all that stuff which is just the way I'm comfortable "making music." But being here on the Forum has made me at least realize that contrary to what I knew before being here - there Are people who manage to get double duty out of their notation programs.

I use Sibelius when I need some charts--but that's not very often. I run away as fast as I can - it's just not where I'm comfortable. And so I always tip my hat to people who can not only make good look looking "charts" but can also somehow squeeze musical results out of those programs.

Your post is talking about people who want Instant Gratification, and their numbers are now legion--people responding to the Siren call, the dangled carrot, the (impossible) promise of digital programs which can make them sound much more brilliant than they really are. They suspect that everyone successful (in the business sense) are people who have sussed out how to make these programs make them sound great - and expecting to give very little effort in the process.

Well - Instant Orchestra will appeal to people of that sort. They'll be able to dial in a patch or two, press one key, turn up the volume and say, "YEAH, I rule!"--hehe---BUT people who actually know what they're doing, and are willing to actually do some work--they'll make even all that more out of a program of this sort.

Randy

I too am one of those notation guys. I'm reading a lot of impressions, and it seems that there are a lot of generalities being thrown around, like it's difficult to say what exactly the library is. As somebody who has all of the major libraries from Garritan, what exactly is the role that this library would fill? Better brass ensemble sounds for wind writing? I've heard some say that the control with strings and choir is better. I'm not expecting to have people think it's a live ensemble recording, but the closer I can get, the happier I am.

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around what exactly this library is and how it would fit in with what I'm doing as a notation guy who is writing 95% band music and the occasional movie score.

All that being said, it seems like a very compelling product. I've yet to be disappointed in a Garritan library, so I almost purchased it instantly on impulse.

I'll be getting this as it will compliment my currently libraries perfectly.

As someone who actively uses a similar style of library religiously (Symphobia) - I can't recommend this style of library enough. It can fuel creativity even more, and make you giddy to try new ideas - it's FUN. Yes, with seeminly little effort you can produce music to be proud of...

...but with skill and a lot of effort on top of that, amazing results and new ways of composing unfold before you. You don't have to take my word for it, but you would have to be extremely set in your ways to not embrace the ways a library like this can enhance your compositions.

Great too that Finale is being catered for - it would be a less traditional stave layout (or extra staves that wouldn't traditionally appear on an orchestras score) but the quality of the renderings should get even better.

Great choice of library for Garritan to release.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by trimpe View Post
    ...I too am one of those notation guys. I'm reading a lot of impressions, and it seems that there are a lot of generalities being thrown around, like it's difficult to say what exactly the library is. As somebody who has all of the major libraries from Garritan, what exactly is the role that this library would fill?....
    Here's a screenshot of Gary's welcome message in the IO manual. He describes what the intent of IO is. Zoom in as needed:

Convinced. Off to spend some money...

Go Back to forum