• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instant Orchestra example: PSYCH OUT - horror film soundtrack

Share/Bookmark

Instant Orchestra example: PSYCH OUT - horror film soundtrack

Here's something I had a lot of fun putting together with the new Garritan Instant Orchestra Library.

First version - A fairly literal rendition of a famous strings passage you'll recognize. I used various new strings patches from IO, like "alt bows short attack," "marcato strings alt" and "Col Legno full strings"--

http://www.box.com/s/j7g1f2q10ufs0911tfk0

You can hear from that demo that getting aggressive attacks on your strings is very possible with IO.

Second version - The above, but with other IO patches layered on top, such as "Horrid Choir" "Scary Piano" and "Weirdness"--

http://www.box.com/s/xv1yh5pafe5szhom0htq

Instant Orchestra gives you plenty to work with for creating horror film soundtracks.

BOO!

Randy

Re: Instant Orchestra example: PSYCH OUT - horror film soundtrack

I'll bet that was certainly easier to get the ripping strings sounds than when I did it in a Halloween piece a couple of years ago. I used that same theme for the start of my piece and it took a lot of work to get almost (well kind of almost) that effect. Thanks for the example.

Now if I can just get my wife to let me get a Christmas present for myself! hmmmmm
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Well fine - now I'm never going to be able to shower again. Okay, okay - I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Well fine - now I'm never going to be able to shower again. Okay, okay - I'll buy it.
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the shower!

Excellent job on this Randy. You sure know how to have some freaky fun with IO!

Thanks for posting this!

Gary
    Afraid to go back in the water

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the shower!

Excellent job on this Randy. You sure know how to have some freaky fun with IO!

Thanks for posting this!

Gary
    Afraid to go back in the water
    BWAhahahahaha--I skeered Gary and Tom Davis! Mission accomplished! - And pretty EASily accomplished, I want to add, with this very fun-to-use Instant Orchestra thang. Instant inspiration, every time I open it up.

Glad you guys enjoyed!

Randy

I like this version! The attacks are aggressive!
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile View Post
    I like this version! The attacks are aggressive!
    Yeah mon! At first, I set out to do only these--ahem, "Psych Out" strings, then, thinking it would be better to sublimate and disguise the soundtrack a bit, I brought in some of the bizarre sounds from IO. I did the demo mix with Horrid Choir and other IO sounds/instruments on top of the string tracks. It's fun to hear just the strings again, separated from the original mix. I know I couldn't have gotten this close to the sound of the original composition using the GPO strings.

Thanks, Robert--And I'm sure glad you had the time and inspiration to do all those demos! I had fun with the few short weeks I had, doing a few recordings with IO, but you produced ships full of good stuff, and so much of it is simple and direct in demonstrating just how "instant" Instant Orchestra really can be- Great stuff!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yeah mon! At first, I set out to do only these--ahem, "Psych Out" strings, then, thinking it would be better to sublimate and disguise the soundtrack a bit, I brought in some of the bizarre sounds from IO. I did the demo mix with Horrid Choir and other IO sounds/instruments on top of the string tracks. It's fun to hear just the strings again, separated from the original mix. I know I couldn't have gotten this close to the sound of the original composition using the GPO strings.

Thanks, Robert--And I'm sure glad you had the time and inspiration to do all those demos! I had fun with the few short weeks I had, doing a few recordings with IO, but you produced ships full of good stuff, and so much of it is simple and direct in demonstrating just how "instant" Instant Orchestra really can be- Great stuff!

Randy
    Thanks Randy Thanks also for explaining IO stuff here and shedding some some light on the confusion as to what it exactly is...
    Robert Davis

Go Back to forum