• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: INSTANT ORCHESTRA upgrade from GPO

Share/Bookmark

INSTANT ORCHESTRA upgrade from GPO

i just saw the new instant orchestra
    i own GPO since the very beginning. is it possible to upgrade to instant orchestra at a reduced price?
    what are the main differences?

Re: INSTANT ORCHESTRA upgrade from GPO

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    i just saw the new instant orchestra
    i own GPO since the very beginning. is it possible to upgrade to instant orchestra at a reduced price?
    what are the main differences?
    Hi, Bosone - Instant Orchestra isn't an update or upgrade from GPO. It's a totally new, different Library - it doesn't replace GPO.

Go to the main Garritan site and click on the info button for IO--lots of details explained there, lots of demos to listen to etc:

http://www.garritan.com/

Randy

New GPO user here - amateur composer but earnest -and loving it -would Instant Orchestra be a worthwhile addition? Would one use it simultaneously or in conjunction with GPO, or instead of?

Dono
    Frisco
    Baja Oklahoma

uh - guess I should have read all the other posts before asking questions with answers - thanks anyway. I'll do my homework.

I really admire the compositions I've heard on this forum and site - bet I can play lead guitar better than a lot of you folks but I am a thumb sucking child compared to the orchestration talent I've heard. What a great place to learn.

Dono
    Frisco
    Baja Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by donplee View Post
    uh - guess I should have read all the other posts before asking questions with answers - thanks anyway. I'll do my homework.

I really admire the compositions I've heard on this forum and site - bet I can play lead guitar better than a lot of you folks but I am a thumb sucking child compared to the orchestration talent I've heard. What a great place to learn.

Dono
    Frisco
    Baja Oklahoma
    Howdy, Dono! I haven't been there in years, but Oklahoma is my home state--Nice to see a fellow Okie onboard--and I use the term "Okie" with affection, I use it to describe myself!

I see you did look around more, and you saw that IO doesn't replace GPO--it augments it, or can be used on its own. It's simply a fantastic addition to anyone's set up, whether it's their umpteenth "soft synth" or their first.

Stick around, ya'hear?!

Randy

Hi Rob,

I am an admirer of your work. And I will be sticking around. So much to learn here. I've had GPO for about a month. And, I'm a fellow Sonar user since V3.

BTW, and I love explaining this - Baja Oklahoma is actually North Texas. I live in Frisco, which is about 30 miles north of Dallas, 20 minutes east of Denton, and 50 miles or so south of the Oklahoma border. The phrase was coined in a Dan Jenkins book of the same name years ago.

I have been playing guitar and lite keys for many years on a "semi-professional" basis - that means I am fortunate to rarely gig for free. But I have never learned much Theory and my musical education is well behind the folks on this forum. Nonetheless, I have always enjoyed orchestrations, be it film or the Classics. Bets the hell out of gaming, IMHO.

Look forward to learning from everyone here!

Dono
    Frisco, TX
    Baja Oklahoma

Hi Rob,

I am an admirer of your work. And I will be sticking around. So much to learn here. I've had GPO for about a month. And, I'm a fellow Sonar user since V3.

BTW, and I love explaining this - Baja Oklahoma is actually North Texas. I live in Frisco, which is about 30 miles north of Dallas, 20 minutes east of Denton, and 50 miles or so south of the Oklahoma border. The phrase was coined in a Dan Jenkins book of the same name years ago.

I have been playing guitar and lite keys for many years on a "semi-professional" basis - that means I am fortunate to rarely gig for free. But I have never learned much Theory and my musical education is well behind the folks on this forum. Nonetheless, I have always enjoyed orchestrations, be it film or the Classics. Bets the hell out of gaming, IMHO.

Look forward to learning from everyone here!

Dono
    Frisco, TX
    Baja Oklahoma
    AH! Now I look more carefully - OKLAHOMA stood out to me in your signature since I don't recall ever seeing it on the Forum before. Of course, I see now, Baja - you live in the "Texas pan handle"--directly west of OK, in that odd strip of land, like an inland peninsula i.e. Baja California, which is the peninsula below the state, paralleling mainland Mexico.

EDIT: NOOooo, I still have it wrong--You explained, "Baja OK" is northern Texas,--not the pan handle. OK--I think I finally got it!

OH well, so you're not an Okie. You're in good company though - Our most prolific composer in the group is Larry Alexander, and he's a good ol' Texan, giving me no end of grief over being a mere Okie. hehe.

Hearty welcome to the Forum - it's a very eclectic group of musicians and composers here. Don't assume everyone is classically trained and only into Beethoven and Mozart. True, we all have instrumental music in common, but we're into all good things musical - jazz, classical, new age, pop, rock,--even some country once in a blue moon!

Big Happy Holiday greetings to you--great to see a new person jump in so enthusiastically. And if you have questions about using GPO, post them here in this General Discussion Forum - it's the most visited page in the Garritan group of Forums.

Randy

One question that comes to mind is using multiple instances of Garritan products in a single piece. In the past I've attempted to use Edirol Orchestral alongside GPO, to mix it up a bit, but using both at the same time will crash Sonar faster than a flash flood. At least in my experience. The only workaround I've figured out is to use one, bounce to audio, then go use the other.

What about when using World Instruments (just ordered) with GPO? Or, is it best just to bounce to audio and get on with it?

I think Santa is going to surprise me with IO. Just hope he doesn't tell the wife, since I just sprung for WI.

BTW, where you from in Oklahoma? Lots of good folks up there. My Mother is from Enid.

Thanks for your replies!

Dono

One question that comes to mind is using multiple instances of Garritan products in a single piece. In the past I've attempted to use Edirol Orchestral alongside GPO, to mix it up a bit, but using both at the same time will crash Sonar faster than a flash flood. At least in my experience. The only workaround I've figured out is to use one, bounce to audio, then go use the other.

What about when using World Instruments (just ordered) with GPO? Or, is it best just to bounce to audio and get on with it?

I think Santa is going to surprise me with IO. Just hope he doesn't tell the wife, since I just sprung for WI.

BTW, where you from in Oklahoma? Lots of good folks up there. My Mother is from Enid.

Thanks for your replies!

Dono
    I'm still up here on the west coast--living in Oregon. I was born in good ol' Tulsa. Have relatives in OK I haven't seen in years.

Your question, about using World (congrats on the purchase!--fantastic Library)--along with GPO. It should be Zero problem. All of the Garritan Libraries now use the same sample player designed specifically for them--Aria. So as you set up a project, you open Aria, pick instruments freely from any Library you own, and they'll load right up alongside each other in that same player. When you've reached the limit of 16 instruments, then you grab another instance of Aria and start mixing and matching again.

I use Edirol Orchestra once in awhile--really a great VST, that - and I've used it alongside GPO without any problems of Sonar crashing. Don't know why that should be happening to you. You should be able to stay in the MIDI realm as long as you want, as long as your computer can hold up, before bouncing to audio. Now that I have a new computer, it's rather a relief that I don't have to keep bouncing down to audio the way I used to, just to conserve computer power.

So I would have to say that problem you're having isn't necessarily in the Edirol/GPO combo - something about your system, and the permutations are so complex, trying to figure out what's screwy on a set-up.

ANyway--your new World and your IO (Santa HAS to bring it!--hehe) will co-exist with GPO just fine, all in the same Aria player.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Bosone - Instant Orchestra isn't an update or upgrade from GPO. It's a totally new, different Library - it doesn't replace GPO.

Go to the main Garritan site and click on the info button for IO--lots of details explained there, lots of demos to listen to etc:

http://www.garritan.com/

Randy

ok, maybe upgrade is not the correct word.
    what about a crossgrade? it is an orchestra, it combines with GPO, it "completes" GPO: many more GPO user would buy it if they had a special price!
    and viceversa, many more IO user would crossgrade to GPO at a lowe price!

Go Back to forum