• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Garritan NS fora and the acquisition

Share/Bookmark

The Garritan NS fora and the acquisition

Is the acquisition by MakeMusic going to mean this forum (and the other Garritan fora) going to move to the MakeMusic forum server? If so, will we lose all the past postings? (That's a LOT to lose!)

For that matter, what will happen if the fora do not move to MM and nobody buys NorthernSounds?

Pat

Re: The Garritan NS fora and the acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    Is the acquisition by MakeMusic going to mean this forum (and the other Garritan fora) going to move to the MakeMusic forum server? If so, will we lose all the past postings? (That's a LOT to lose!)

For that matter, what will happen if the fora do not move to MM and nobody buys NorthernSounds?

Pat
    Hi, Pat - Things are in motion to keep the Garritan Forums alive, complete with historical archives. In due time, things will be made clear to the membership here. It'll be fine!

Randy

Hi Randy. I know it may seem silly but the forum has become a bit special. So many other places are full if v rude people, whereas this one is fine, I can't say theres been any real altercation here.

I often look to see read the posts altho I can't think of anything worth while to say, so lets keep it going if poss.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I think that is part of the draw of this forum for me, from the music genres covered to the general attitude... since I'm sort of an oddball... I'm not doing this for a living or looking to do so and into the latest and biggest libraries or about the whole business of music... I'm not musically trained at all; I'm almost completely self-taught from listening to a whole lot and reading a whole lot and bugging my younger sister (who on the other hand had the opportunities and played flute with the university orchestra while a science major)... I'm just a guy who likes to play with music in my somewhat limited spare time because it's FUN and I ENJOY it!

I just don't want to hear any high-and-mighty 'if you're not trained/don't know this/can't tell this from that/blah blah blah, then you shouldn't be making music', which I've run into as I've browsed around various sites. I'm not opposed to criticism and lifelong learning; indeed that's why I always solicit suggestions for improvement since there's always room for that. Short of changing my entire career, I'm probably never going to get too 'professional' with it (and yes, I know, everyone even professionals are always learning... or should be at least... which I endeavour to do in my own line of work, though it's mandated for me if I want to maintain my license :P). But it's a hobby, and I LIKE IT!

I'm reminded of a recital I went to as a kid (in which my sister was playing), and there was an older gentleman, at least 70-75, who played a piece on piano... very simple and basic, beginner level. Basically, his story was that it was something he never learned as a kid, and he decided to try to learn after he retired. That has always stuck with me. I don't know what happened to him; chances are he's probably not doing it professionally, and who knows how far he took it. But hey, if he finds joy in his music, let him! Some of the elitism I've seen around some places would seem to not even consider such a concept.

I would rather see encouragement, useful criticism, and openness to such criticism and feedback. I suppose this is turning into a reply to Randy's forum pep talk thread instead, but well... those are my thoughts. :P

P.S. Just wanted to add I'm not referring to the MakeMusic forums, which I've never actually visited.
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum