• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Topic: Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

    I just need to get clear on the use of same/different channels in Ensembles.

    Sometimes the different instruments are assigned to the same channel Example Moods = Angels or Demons

    And sometimes each instrument is assigned to a different channel Example "Moods" = Epic"

    And then some have a mixture Example Moods=Heavenly, first 4 instruments are on channel 1 but Harp Plucks = channel 5

    My keyboard does not put out OMNI so as I started to audition the Ensembles I began to realize that some of the instruments were not sounding.

    I can compensate one of two ways-load an Ensemble and then reset all channels to omni (Becomes a PIA after awhile)
    Using Sonar X1 enter midi date in multiple tracks with each track assigned to a different channel. (Still a PIA)

    Is there an all omni setting in Aria I'm missing or another way? (perhaps using midi-ox or something with Sonar)?

    OBTW I LOVE Instant Orchestra-lots of fun to play with and adds to my wonderful (complete) collection of Garritan software-ans YES I will buy Organ etc etc when it comes out.

    Fred

  2. #2

    Re: Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

    Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post
    I just need to get clear on the use of same/different channels in Ensembles.

    Sometimes the different instruments are assigned to the same channel Example Moods = Angels or Demons

    And sometimes each instrument is assigned to a different channel Example "Moods" = Epic"

    And then some have a mixture Example Moods=Heavenly, first 4 instruments are on channel 1 but Harp Plucks = channel 5

    My keyboard does not put out OMNI so as I started to audition the Ensembles I began to realize that some of the instruments were not sounding.

    I can compensate one of two ways-load an Ensemble and then reset all channels to omni (Becomes a PIA after awhile)
    Using Sonar X1 enter midi date in multiple tracks with each track assigned to a different channel. (Still a PIA)

    Is there an all omni setting in Aria I'm missing or another way? (perhaps using midi-ox or something with Sonar)?

    OBTW I LOVE Instant Orchestra-lots of fun to play with and adds to my wonderful (complete) collection of Garritan software-ans YES I will buy Organ etc etc when it comes out.

    Fred
    Yes, it sounds like you're getting to understand how those Ensembles were built in various ways. The ones that are all on one channel are great - big, shifting layers of sound are triggered all on one MIDI channel.

    Other ensembles are set up so you have a more traditional GPO-style set of instruments laid out for you, on various MIDI channels.

    You don't need to change the MIDI channel on your keyboard. Set it to One and leave it there. The critical thing is to set up the MIDI channel you want in X1's MIDI tracks. If you have a track's Inspector set to MIDI Channel 3, whatever instruments you have on channel 3 are what you'll hear when you play on that activated track - even though your keyboard is set on One. The Inspector determines the MIDI channel being played.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

    Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post
    I just need to get clear on the use of same/different channels in Ensembles.

    Sometimes the different instruments are assigned to the same channel Example Moods = Angels or Demons

    And sometimes each instrument is assigned to a different channel Example "Moods" = Epic"

    And then some have a mixture Example Moods=Heavenly, first 4 instruments are on channel 1 but Harp Plucks = channel 5

    My keyboard does not put out OMNI so as I started to audition the Ensembles I began to realize that some of the instruments were not sounding.

    I can compensate one of two ways-load an Ensemble and then reset all channels to omni (Becomes a PIA after awhile)
    Using Sonar X1 enter midi date in multiple tracks with each track assigned to a different channel. (Still a PIA)

    Is there an all omni setting in Aria I'm missing or another way? (perhaps using midi-ox or something with Sonar)?

    OBTW I LOVE Instant Orchestra-lots of fun to play with and adds to my wonderful (complete) collection of Garritan software-ans YES I will buy Organ etc etc when it comes out.

    Fred
    Hey Fred,

    I could send you versions that load with all slots set to omni if you'd like.

    Best,
    Chad

  4. #4

    Re: Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

    Hi Chad, (and Randy)
    Thanks for the offer - I ended up creating a Sonar template which sets each track output to a specific ARIA channel and has OMNI inputs set from my midi/audio card. With each track set to a specific ARia input I can vary the CC date to each channel as I please. I've found it very useful on some of the "MOOD" ensembles for example where I want the percussion stuff to come in later or at a different level.

    And goodness gracious - Who was thoughtful enough to put a Ralph Vaughan Williams "instrument" into the Combos and FX section (My all time favorite composer)!!!!!

    Lots of fun with this product !!!

    Thanks again,
    Fred

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Hurricane place
    Posts
    276

    Re: Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

    Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post

    And goodness gracious - Who was thoughtful enough to put a Ralph Vaughan Williams "instrument" into the Combos and FX section (My all time favorite composer)!!!!!

    Lots of fun with this product !!!

    Thanks again,
    Fred
    Ah that name was inspired by the patch and how it transitions from a small delicate orchestra to heavy vibrato on mod wheel or expression...
    Robert Davis

  6. #6

    Re: Ensembles in "Instant Orchestra" single channel vs multiple channels

    Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post
    Hi Chad, (and Randy)
    Thanks for the offer - I ended up creating a Sonar template which sets each track output to a specific ARIA channel and has OMNI inputs set from my midi/audio card. With each track set to a specific ARia input I can vary the CC date to each channel as I please...
    Hi, Fred - That sounds right. And that's the way you can always set up Aria in Sonar, no matter which Garritan Library you're using, not just IO. That's the only way to have full control of each slot in Aria - If you have all 16 slots filled with GPO instruments, for instance, each on its own MIDI channel, then you have 16 MIDI tracks in Sonar, each assigned to MIDI Channels 1-16, and receiving in Omni mode. 16 separate associated Audio tracks is also the best way to go.

    Randy

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •