• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dropouts out of nowhere when playing with IO - or is it Sonar?

Share/Bookmark

Dropouts out of nowhere when playing with IO - or is it Sonar?

So, I downloaded IO this afternoon and installed on my Dual Core AMD 3Ghz with 4Gb memory. I use Sonar with the M-Audio Firewire 410 interface. Been using Sonar 10 years and playing with Midi for over 20 years - not a newbie. I chose a patch and began playing a few chords - and the audio engine stopped. Repeat with same result. Switched back to a project i've been working in GPO and it plays fine - even with another instance of IO on top with a couple of patches. Switch back - dropout.

Now I have to believe the dropouts aren't IO's fault -but for the life of me everything looks right and still getting dropouts. Any ideas? I've never had these types of dropouts EVER. What misconfiguration might cause an immediate dropout? Some sort of Audio out problem, or routing problem? I need sleep and I'm tired of trying to figure it out now.

I want to play with IO tomorrow - it is really very cool for the couple of measure I can hear it :-) Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dono
    Baja Oklahoma

Re: Dropouts out of nowhere when playing with IO - or is it Sonar?

I was running one instance of the Aria player and just loading and playing with various patches. After a while it started dropping notes - don't know why.

It appears to load the instruments into the ram on the fly, as you play - least I think that's what the ram counter was showing me. Perhaps it was just calculating. I was getting odd 'phasing' in and out with certain string patches as well.

However, I've not yet attempted to compose anything with it through the DAW. And I was loading patch after patch, replacing each every time, and perhaps Aria didn't like that after the 30th or so patch I loaded.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Dropouts out of nowhere when playing with IO - or is it Sonar?

Quote Originally Posted by donplee View Post
    So, I downloaded IO this afternoon and installed on my Dual Core AMD 3Ghz with 4Gb memory. I use Sonar with the M-Audio Firewire 410 interface. Been using Sonar 10 years and playing with Midi for over 20 years - not a newbie. I chose a patch and began playing a few chords - and the audio engine stopped. Repeat with same result. Switched back to a project i've been working in GPO and it plays fine - even with another instance of IO on top with a couple of patches. Switch back - dropout.

Now I have to believe the dropouts aren't IO's fault -but for the life of me everything looks right and still getting dropouts. Any ideas? I've never had these types of dropouts EVER. What misconfiguration might cause an immediate dropout? Some sort of Audio out problem, or routing problem? I need sleep and I'm tired of trying to figure it out now.

I want to play with IO tomorrow - it is really very cool for the couple of measure I can hear it :-) Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dono
    Baja Oklahoma
    I'd try running the same patch in ARIA standalone. See if you have the same issue. You may want to increase your audio buffer size in SONAR if you are having dropouts.

Go Back to forum