• Register
  • Help

Topic: More Questions on Instant Orchestra--workflow difference with GPO?

Share/Bookmark

More Questions on Instant Orchestra--workflow difference with GPO?

I listened to the demos of it. They sound great! Excellent work, Robert and Randy!

Of course, one can hear great demos of GPO as well.

So my question is--what was different about how these demos were created, than if one were to make similar demos with GPO? What about it makes it easier, quicker, "instant", etc.?

For instance, if one was to write a piece for string orchestra using GPO, one would write out separate parts for 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola, cello, and contrabass. If one were to write the same piece for IO, would one not have to do that? Would one just write out the 1st violin part, and the program orchestrates it, and creates the other four parts itself?

In other words, what makes IO "instant"?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Re: More Questions on Instant Orchestra--workflow difference with GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    I listened to the demos of it. They sound great! Excellent work, Robert and Randy!

Of course, one can hear great demos of GPO as well.

So my question is--what was different about how these demos were created, than if one were to make similar demos with GPO? What about it makes it easier, quicker, "instant", etc.?

For instance, if one was to write a piece for string orchestra using GPO, one would write out separate parts for 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola, cello, and contrabass. If one were to write the same piece for IO, would one not have to do that? Would one just write out the 1st violin part, and the program orchestrates it, and creates the other four parts itself?

In other words, what makes IO "instant"?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Hi, Maiko - Glad you like the demos. Most of them were put together quickly, but they sure don't sound like it!

Did you watch Robert's video that does a quick, improvisational run-through of various Ensembles and Instruments in IO? I think it shows what put the "instant" in Instant Orchestra more than words can get across. We've been trying to explain, but there's still unclarity and confusion. Here's that thread with the video:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ck-Run-Through

No, IO doesn't orchestrate for you - I know you weren't serious, but to be clear, no it doesn't do that.

In GPO one doesn't always assemble the five string sections - The Full Strings patch is a quick way to get the full string sound, and in some situations, that's all someone might need. There are lots of Full Strings patches in IO but they're more detailed, more controllable, and as you've seen there are more articulations available.

What makes IO "instant" is many of the "patches" are layers, giving you the sound it would take time to pile up in separate tracks using standard Libraries. There are very useful patches which give you beautiful orchestral chords. There are incredible Harp patches that give you a variety of up and down glissandi.

And so forth!

Randy

Go Back to forum