• Register
  • Help

Topic: It is not so modern ..... theremin and ondes Martenot

Share/Bookmark

It is not so modern ..... theremin and ondes Martenot

Searching Internet reveals that these two lookalike instruments (soundwise) aren't so modern as I first thought. Having read this, I remembered having a piece with very strange soundeffects in it, so I looked it up and voila. It is Jeanne d'Arc au Bucher, composed by Arthur Honegger back in the thirties (finished this in 1935). Just have a peak at one of the scenes (Scene I) of this "oratorium". Wonderful music.

a short impression of Ondes Martenot

Raymond

Re: It is not so modern ..... theremin and ondes Martenot

Big difference in the two - price them both out! I love the music of Messiaen who often used an Ondes Martenot in his music. If I could afford one....
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    .......... If I could afford one....
    Sell the dog, cat, car, christmas tree...........

Raymond

A friend of mine, an excellent musician who's primary instrument is electric guitar, built a Theremin from a kit he found somewhere. He said it is The hardest thing to play, feeling out where to place your hands for pitch changes. He has fun with it - brings it out every year for the neighborhood kids to play with at Halloween. 8-)

Randy

I have a theremin, and can testify that it is ridiculously difficult. I guess string players might find it easier to learn, but I just don't seem to be able to develop the muscle memory this late in life.
    David

I might pick up a theremin some day - you can pick one up for anyplace between "under the coach change" to several hundred for a Moog. For selling the house I was talking the Ondes Martenot. Starting price for a new one is 11,088 Euros. See here - http://www.thomasbloch.net/new_ondes_martenot Radiohead was the first customer for the new recreation based on the original plans.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I might pick up a theremin some day - you can pick one up for anyplace between "under the coach change" to several hundred for a Moog. For selling the house I was talking the Ondes Martenot. Starting price for a new one is 11,088 Euros. See here - http://www.thomasbloch.net/new_ondes_martenot Radiohead was the first customer for the new recreation based on the original plans.
    Indeed - as I understand it, several of the vocals on 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac' were vocoded with the Ondes Martenot as the carrier.
    David

Go Back to forum