• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Le Marginal - Car Chase

Share/Bookmark

Le Marginal - Car Chase

Le marginal is an 1983 French movie about a tough cop who breaks all the rules to get his criminals! Anyhoo, it has a pretty cool car chase scene in it - and there's not a note of music over the whole thing.

Enter me, armed with the new Instant Orchestra, some percussion and small number of FX patches from my usual libraries.

The main patches used are from IO - they are
    'Short Power Orchestra Octaves'
    'Full Strings Tremolo'
    'Full Brass Octaves'
    'Earth Drums (1, 2 and 3)' in various spots'

I used various percussion from IO as well. Cymbal, shakers, triangle.

Some of the rising 'rip' effects are from Symphobia.

Le Marginal - Car Chase - YouTube

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!
    Cheers
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Le Marginal - Car Chase

Okay that may have been the most ridiculous foreign movie excerpt I've ever seen - loved the part where the bad guy sticks his gun right in the cop's face and shoots twice and they both just... sit there wondering what on earth that was about and then go back to driving like nothing happened.

Silly stuff aside though, this is a great video for two reasons: 1) You've done a pretty good job matching your soundtrack to the sequence so it's interesting enough from that respect, BUT... 2) It's also a great example of what GIO is supposed to be good for - putting the emphasis on how the orchestra SOUNDS with the practicalities of what instruments are playing what and how etc. being secondary. Everyone who was ever disappointed at how long it takes to get a "hollywood sound" out of GPO will be rubbing their hands with glee after watching this, because GIO will fill that niche quite well.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Haha - yes that's a very odd moment when the guy is shooting from two feet away but nothing is actually happening. Bullet proof car for sure :P

Yes, it's a good example of one way the IO library can be used. The very start of the manual explains it quite well with talk of 'Hollywood' scoring and difficulty of getting that sound from a more traditional orchestral library.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Fun stuff, Graham. And you get the "First kid on the block to use IO* in a Listening Room post" award!

With the constant Earth Drums rhythm throughout, and tempo of the main theme, this would sit well in an Epic Adventure kind of soundtrack also. In fact, I think the Epic vibe is the over-all feel of the track. IO sure delivers in this regard, just as outlined in Gary's opening remarks in the library.

Did you notice that there are Horn Rips in IO also?

Congrats on the above-mentioned award!--I enjoyed the romp.

* note that the Library's name is actually IO.

Randy

Cheers, Randy - it was a fun little project, and overall it only took a few hours to do.

I've browsed all the patches in IO - but unless you're taking notes it's easy to forget about many - there's a such a huge range and choice.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hey you're a much better shot with your music than the antagonist is with his gun

Very nice. That does work quite well.

Thanks for sharing.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Hi Graham,

Really enjoyed what you did here ... interesting use of a great bit of cinama action in search of a cue!

I guess the director/music editor/composer opted for the drama of not scoring it. I remember Bernard Herrmann saying how everyone would always tell him that they just loved the music he underscored in North By Northwest for the famous crop-duster-chasing-Cary-Grant scene ... turns out, similar to your source material, there was no music! Herrmann insisted on not starting the cue until the plane crashes and starts burning, just puctuating the scene that had unfolded. Clever!

Nonetheless, what you scored was absolutely perfect! It kept the drama and excitement moving forward throughout the long, exciting cue. Really nice musical drama, Graham.

I am not familiar at all w/ IO, having been on hiatus here for the past half year. I've read the ads now and listened to a couple of demos, but your cue has really showed what can be done with it ... I'll need to investigate it more thouroughly in the New Year.

Best regards,

Frank

Thumbs up Re: Le Marginal - Car Chase

just watched this..GREAT job! very much like what would have been done if a top pro had been asked to rescore the chase. i like the use of the Earth Drums..i might have switched to lighter percussion (timps) at the end when the bad guys are wrecked up and he keeps smashing 'em. but that's just me..

(my son loved what you did here and has been watching this over and over all afternoon!)

Cheers, glad you both liked it. It was a fun project for a couple of hours.

When I listen back there's few changes I'd make, and the ending being one of them. I was getting lazy at that stage I guess...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Graham,

Just had time to catch up and watch this. Thanks for sharing! It's excellent to hear the IO being used in such a dramatic sound design score. Excellent use of Earth Drums!

Cheers,
    Chad

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast