• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GIO !? A warning to Gary Garritan

Share/Bookmark

GIO !? A warning to Gary Garritan

Gary,
    overhere we have advertisments on TV for men and women about frangrances/parfums from Giorgio Armani. IT is advertised as ....from GIO and later on you see that this means Giorgio Armani (acgua di GIO). Your new lib is called GIO. This can be tricky and subject to some lawsuits........ using the same name. Here is a link to one of those videoclips:

http://youtu.be/CW_-Q-SSRMU

Raymond

Re: GIO !? A warning to Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Gary,
    overhere we have advertisments on TV for men and women about frangrances/parfums from Giorgio Armani. IT is advertised as ....from GIO and later on you see that this means Giorgio Armani (acgua di GIO). Your new lib is called GIO. This can be tricky and subject to some lawsuits........ using the same name. Here is a link to one of those videoclips:
    A while ago we were thinking of nicknaming the library GIO before we finally settled on "IO".

One of the beta testers thought GIO sounded like an Italian Pizzeria. But what do I know, I love pizza.

Merry Christmas

Gary

hehe-- Some folks here have been calling IO "GIO," but only as an informal reference to it being a Garritan Library. As Gary said, "IO" is the official acronym.

Randy

On the other hand, Io is the innermost of the four Galilean moons of the planet Jupiter. Who WERE those strange gray guys hanging around Gary?

Acronyms. . . Got to love 'em!

"I.O." is also an acronym for "intraosseous". Intraosseous is an access point to give medications. It's usually done during emergencies when obtaining an "I.V" (intravenous) access is found to be difficult and medications are needed to be given emergently. So. . . . when I first saw "I.O.", I naturally thought of that special access needle that's been drilled into someone's bone so that fluids and medications can be given as needed. LOL!

Then there's "I owe. . . I owe. . . " (it's off to work I go). But that's an entirely different topic for dicussion for another thread for another time.

Cheers. . . And Merry Holidays!

Ted

(By the way, I was listening to the many samples for the new "IO" library. Seems like a very cool product!)
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    hehe-- Some folks here have been calling IO "GIO," but only as an informal reference to it being a Garritan Library. As Gary said, "IO" is the official acronym.

Randy
    It was just a warning. What I've seen on TV/Internet/in the newspapers today everybody seems to start lawsuits about really nothing. Apple complaint about using the logo by some small company in Germany who had that logo for ages (as I remember well it was a bakery). Vuiton is complaining about using one of the handbags in a TV-commercial/-clip about something else, etc........ One can never know exactly how people react on the "acronyms" and lawyers today are more than ever "out for getting some extra bucks". Since Garritan joined MakeMusic, maybe we must call it (our own knickname) MIO.

Raymond

It was just a warning. What I've seen on TV/Internet/in the newspapers today everybody seems to start lawsuits about really nothing. Apple complaint about using the logo by some small company in Germany who had that logo for ages (as I remember well it was a bakery). Vuiton is complaining about using one of the handbags in a TV-commercial/-clip about something else, etc........ One can never know exactly how people react on the "acronyms" and lawyers today are more than ever "out for getting some extra bucks". Since Garritan joined MakeMusic, maybe we must call it (our own knickname) MIO.

Raymond

http://www.mio.com/
    Marcelo Colina

Raymond
    ---Raymond, Instant Orchestra is officially called either "Instant Orchestra" or "IO"--Not "GIO." Some private individuals here at this Forum have referred to it as "GIO," but nobody in the world can sue a company over the use of a casually used, unofficial acronym. You can relax on this--really.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ---Raymond, Instant Orchestra is officially called either "Instant Orchestra" or "IO"--Not "GIO." Some private individuals here at this Forum have referred to it as "GIO," but nobody in the world can sue a company over the use of a casually used, unofficial acronym. You can relax on this--really.

Randy
    So following this logic Garritan Personal Orchestra should now be called PO.
    If so we're lucky it wasn't called Personal Original Orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    So following this logic Garritan Personal Orchestra should now be called PO.
    If so we're lucky it wasn't called Personal Original Orchestra.
    POG! Hehehehe, now that would be an unfortunate acronym.

The only logic I'm pointing out here is that Instant Orchestra's name is IO. Garritan Personal Orchestra is officially also called GPO, but IO isn't officially called "GIO."

EDIT: Note how JABB is sometimes referred to as "GJABB"--mmmm, not so good. The one that Really gets me is the Steinway Library being called "GAS"---yikes, whoever started that unfortunate abbreviation?!

Randy

Go Back to forum