• Register
  • Help

Topic: Demos: IO used with other libraries

Share/Bookmark

Demos: IO used with other libraries

I produced some music cues for a local theatre production of "The Lion in Winter," a play set in the Medieval era. It's the story of conflict between King Henry II of England and his sons, with the question of who will inherit Henry's throne being the central theme. Richard the Lionheart and his brothers fight each other and their father. There are court intrigues, wars and rumors of wars -

IO's focus is on big layers and ensembles of instruments, and it was perfect for this project. The other Garritan Libraries have solo instruments, unlike IO. So for these tracks I used IO along with the other Garritan Libraries, World, JABB, GPO and CMB, and three other soft synths were also added to the mix. I also used some Gregorian Chants as performed by our local monastery at Mount Angel, Oregon.

I ended up with an average of 45+ MIDI tracks which were mixed down to an equal number of audio tracks. Actually, with the doubling of some MIDI tracks, there were more audio tracks in the final projects.

Here are some of the cues I wrote for the show, most being 20 second scene transition cues. The last one, #11, is a minute, being the final cue that kept playing into the cast's curtain call.

I'm posting this to demonstrate how IO can be used in conjunction with the other Garritan instruments we have in our arsenals.

Seven of the show's cues are in this Box folder labeled "IO with other Garritan Libraries"--

http://www.box.com/s/7bu7u41ax88iugv71iff

The IO patches used include:

Wagner Orchsetra
    Choir-Wind/Brass
    Orch gliss down
    Bowed Crotales
    Big Brass agg octave
    Cymbals Extra
    Horns clusters and rips
    Earth Drums 1-3
    Orchestra percussion 1
    Orchestra power hits
    Orchestra gliss Octave
    Wagner Brass
    Harp fast gliss
    Harp chords

Solo Recorders, trumpets, horns etc are from GPO, World, CMB and JABB.

Randy

Re: Demos: IO used with other libraries

Really nice work, Randy! Not that you need it (obviously), but I get the feeling that the Historical Instruments library that Gary mentioned the other day is going to be right up your alley!

Very cool. It is interesting for me to see what patches someone chooses. Thanks for listing them!

Awesome work
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    Really nice work, Randy! Not that you need it (obviously), but I get the feeling that the Historical Instruments library that Gary mentioned the other day is going to be right up your alley!
    Thanks, Seq! Yes, the Historical Instruments collection Gary mentioned is intriguing. Like I did with "Coventry Carol," I've been using various instruments from World and GPO as good stand-ins for historical instruments like the Psaltry, but to have samples of the authentic articles would be great. More primitive instruments can have such an interesting sound.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks, Seq! Yes, the Historical Instruments collection Gary mentioned is intriguing. Like I did with "Coventry Carol," I've been using various instruments from World and GPO as good stand-ins for historical instruments like the Psaltry, but to have samples of the authentic articles would be great. More primitive instruments can have such an interesting sound.

Randy
    Love the first one....
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile View Post
    Love the first one....
    Thanks much, Robert!-- I was working on these back during Beta 1 testing of IO.-- And your earlier reply which I'm just now seeing, reminded me that I used the Earth Drums also--added those to the list. I'm sure you, of all people, would recognize those in there.

The first one - Like the first one that comes up when Box is displaying in order of when they were uploaded? That would be the last one, #11 - If it's that one you liked, it's the energetic dance-like one done for the curtain call bows.

Thanks!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks much, Robert!-- I was working on these back during Beta 1 testing of IO.-- And your earlier reply which I'm just now seeing, reminded me that I used the Earth Drums also--added those to the list. I'm sure you, of all people, would recognize those in there.

The first one - Like the first one that comes up when Box is displaying in order of when they were uploaded? That would be the last one, #11 - If it's that one you liked, it's the energetic dance-like one done for the curtain call bows.

Thanks!

Randy
    Yea it is #11 Cool piece!
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile View Post
    Yea it is #11 Cool piece!
    Ah, nice - Thanks for the reply, Robert. I figured it had to be that last one-first in the default list at Box.

After the thematic reprise of some earlier dramatic scene change/underscoring stuff, I launched into this higher energy dance (based on another theme from the cues)--picturing how cool it could be if these historical characters, Queen Eleanor, King Henry, Prince Richard et al--could burst into a Medieval dance. hehe--Would have been totally inappropriate for the show, that was just the whimsical image I had in mind as I worked on that last piece.

You can hear IO adding its muscular support through all of these, like during the slightly subdued B section of this cue #11, the Wagner Orchestra is making for a nice, majestic bed for the recorders on top.

Thanks for your posts, Robert.

Randy

Go Back to forum