• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Enter the politically incorrect villain in "TOM SAWYER"

Share/Bookmark

Enter the politically incorrect villain in "TOM SAWYER"

(click the picture for the MP3]
    "WE'RE THE BOSSES NOW"

I've been posting the songs from my stage musical aimed at young audiences. This number follows "Whitewash" that I posted last month.

Injun Joe--NOT "Indian Joe," as the misguided modern-day censors have insisted he be called, is the (in)famous villain of Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer." Like all the characters and incidents in the book, Twain did us a service in capturing the way things were in the mid-19th century era about which he was writing. Joe is a hardened social outcast, and a character to be both feared and pitied.
    ---------------------
    Tom and his friends have run off to the swimmin' hole after whitewashing Aunt Polly's fence.

Doc Robinson and Injun Joe come down the street and briefly discuss plans to meet in the cemetery that night. The Doc is hiring Joe and Muff Potter, the town drunk, to dig up a grave. Joe suspects that Doc has discovered the location of a treasure map in the cemetery.When he lets that suspicion slip out, he bluffs Muff into believing he was just kidding - that there isn't any treasure, but that the two of them are going to become "the big men in town." Muff naively, and drunkenly believes him.
    ----------
    During the number's intro, there's a reprise of what Injun Joe sang during his brief appearance in the scene-setting opening number ("St. Petersburg.") Then after a musical theatre style conversation between Joe and Muff, the number settles down into a relatively simple song led by Joe, with Muff joining in now and then.

Garritan Instruments:

Banjo from World
    Native American Flute from World
    Steinway Jazz Piano from JABB
    Timpani from GPO
    Sam French Horn solo from GPO
    Sam French Horn Section from GPO
    Full Strings Ag from GPO

Other sound sources include two electric guitars, bass and drums.

Randy

Re: Enter the politically incorrect villain in "TOM SAWYER"

Hi Randy!

Just getting back into a guilty pleasure this morning ... listening to a half dozen or so member's offerings. Always fun to do; so diverse! I've missed doing this.

I still need to work my way backwards through the other two pieces from TS, but this one was fun. It 'sounds theatrical', which I always take as a compliment when someone says that of my musical theater offerings. Especially the almost rececitive nature of the early portion of the song. The start-stop background, meter and rhythm shifts contribute to this as well. I like that little flatted wind note at the end, sounds like one of those Native American wood flutes. Ominious!

Your orchestration sounds perfect for the era; very evocative of white-washed picket fences and frogs in back pockets! Nice.

Question if I may: For live performance, would this be backing tracks-only, or a small, live pit? If a live pit, what chairs would you distill the orchestration to? This particular song could be P, B, Perc, G1, G2 (banjo), Reed 1, horn, cello ... you may have already mentioned this in the threads of the songs I haven't seen yet, so apologies in advance if you have! .

"Tom Sawyer" sounds like a fun project for you; enjoy it! I'm looking forward to hearing more from it.

Best regards,

Frank

Boo, hissssss. No, that's not my opinion of your music, Mister Randy. It's my put-down of the villains.

Nice writing. I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work and please continue to post your super musical outputs.

My best.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Randy!

Just getting back into a guilty pleasure this morning ... listening to a half dozen or so member's offerings. Always fun to do; so diverse! I've missed doing this.

I still need to work my way backwards through the other two pieces from TS, but this one was fun. It 'sounds theatrical', which I always take as a compliment when someone says that of my musical theater offerings. Especially the almost rececitive nature of the early portion of the song. The start-stop background, meter and rhythm shifts contribute to this as well. I like that little flatted wind note at the end, sounds like one of those Native American wood flutes. Ominious!

Your orchestration sounds perfect for the era; very evocative of white-washed picket fences and frogs in back pockets! Nice.

Question if I may: For live performance, would this be backing tracks-only, or a small, live pit? If a live pit, what chairs would you distill the orchestration to? This particular song could be P, B, Perc, G1, G2 (banjo), Reed 1, horn, cello ... you may have already mentioned this in the threads of the songs I haven't seen yet, so apologies in advance if you have! .

"Tom Sawyer" sounds like a fun project for you; enjoy it! I'm looking forward to hearing more from it.

Best regards,

Frank
    Howdy, Frank---I can see, you've really gone to town today listening and commenting on lots of songs here in the good ol' Listening Room. Super!-- When one has time, it really is fun and rewarding to listen to a string of Garritan user projects. I love doing that too.

And thank ye Much for the kind words on this tune from the kid's show. I can't restrain myself from adding at least small doses of musical theatre conventions, even semi-operatic ones, like the opening recit you pointed out. But a big goal with this show was to keep it simple, have tunes that people can start humming after one listen. This one isn't so catchy, but if you track down the other threads, you'll hear/see what I mean. This is the 4th "Sawyer" post - The others are, in order:

"St. Petersburg"
    "I Can Hardly Wait"
    "Whitewash"

---I didn't always use the songs' names in the subject lines. Lemme know if you can't find them and wanna hear those.

I'm producing tracks intended to be used in production. Later I'll be adapting the music for a small band to play. I've kept the instrumentation down, but worked on these in DAW software user mode--meaning I haven't really cared if there are things in the tracks that a live band couldn't do. Know what I mean? I kept adding different stringed instruments, probably more than 1 or 2 players can be expected to be masters of - I'll simplify the score when needed. Meanwhile, as always, I enjoy the freedom of just making recordings I like and throwing caution to the wind!--what can be done live is usually down there low in my consciousness, rather than to the fore, like notation users need it to be.

Thanks again, buddy!
    Randy

Hi Randy,
    It's been months since I visited this site. I can't remember how to post a piece. Could you refresh my memory about how to load from soundclick to here?
    Thanks

Gary

ps seems like all the old gang still posting...

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Howdy, Frank---I can see, you've really gone to town today listening and commenting on lots of songs here in the good ol' Listening Room. Super!-- When one has time, it really is fun and rewarding to listen to a string of Garritan user projects. I love doing that too.

And thank ye Much for the kind words on this tune from the kid's show. I can't restrain myself from adding at least small doses of musical theatre conventions, even semi-operatic ones, like the opening recit you pointed out. But a big goal with this show was to keep it simple, have tunes that people can start humming after one listen. This one isn't so catchy, but if you track down the other threads, you'll hear/see what I mean. This is the 4th "Sawyer" post - The others are, in order:

"St. Petersburg"
    "I Can Hardly Wait"
    "Whitewash"

---I didn't always use the songs' names in the subject lines. Lemme know if you can't find them and wanna hear those.

I'm producing tracks intended to be used in production. Later I'll be adapting the music for a small band to play. I've kept the instrumentation down, but worked on these in DAW software user mode--meaning I haven't really cared if there are things in the tracks that a live band couldn't do. Know what I mean? I kept adding different stringed instruments, probably more than 1 or 2 players can be expected to be masters of - I'll simplify the score when needed. Meanwhile, as always, I enjoy the freedom of just making recordings I like and throwing caution to the wind!--what can be done live is usually down there low in my consciousness, rather than to the fore, like notation users need it to be.

Thanks again, buddy!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Boo, hissssss. No, that's not my opinion of your music, Mister Randy. It's my put-down of the villains.

Nice writing. I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work and please continue to post your super musical outputs.

My best.
    It's my fan club President down in Texas. Thanks much Mr. Larry

and, YEEeah, BOOoo hissss! Joe's a baddy fer sure. That original illustration I have on this thread is classic, sums it up - Tom's having nightmares about Injun Joe sneaking in his window and slitting his throat in his sleep, and poor Tom has reason to be concarned!

Gary Mosse! Good to see you here - I'll reply by PM so we don't stay OT here.

Randy

... This is the 4th "Sawyer" post - The others are, in order:

"St. Petersburg"
    "I Can Hardly Wait"
    "Whitewash"

Thanks again, buddy!
    Randy
    Thanks Randy for the info; I'll start tracking them down in the New Year ... looking forward to it!

I agree on your philosophy re: show music orchestrations. You create the colors and mood you want with 'whatever', shooting for the stars, then worry about scaling it into a practical pit if and when it gets to the point it will be performed live. For many of us, that's never, but I'm sure this work will have legs, as children-targeted musicals (especially one so loaded w/ Americana) should find audiences and producers alike!

Anyway, It's always interesting for me to listen to how you treat and score a period piece; so many ways to go!

Best regards,

Frank

(Barbara and I were lucky enough to catch "Follies" on B'way last month ... 29 piece pit!! Wow, to be Sondheim and Jonathan Tunick!!!!!!! LOL)

[COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=verdana]Thanks Randy for the info; I'll start tracking them down in the New Year ... looking forward to it!...
    Hey, Frank - While this thread is at the top again, I'm adding the links to the other three "Sawyer" threads so far. Easier than you sifting through the last few months of posts:

"St. Petersburg" - Opening production number with the whole town of characters on stage:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...my-new-musical

"I Can Hardly Wait" - Tom's solo, yearning to be an adult when nobody will boss him around anymore:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...-second-number

"Whitewash" - the famous scene where Tom tricks his buddies into doing his fence painting chore:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...> Sawyer-quot

It's fun to find someone here so into this - thanks for your replies, Frank!

Randy

Hey again Randy,

Hey, Frank - While this thread is at the top again, I'm adding the links to the other three "Sawyer" threads so far. Easier than you sifting through the last few months of posts:

"St. Petersburg" - Opening production number with the whole town of characters on stage:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...my-new-musical

"I Can Hardly Wait" - Tom's solo, yearning to be an adult when nobody will boss him around anymore:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...-second-number

"Whitewash" - the famous scene where Tom tricks his buddies into doing his fence painting chore:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/74725-A-song-from-my-new-show-quot-Tom-

Sawyer-quot

It's fun to find someone here so into this - thanks for your replies, Frank!

Randy
    Excellent!! Thanks so much, this is great!

Don't get me started on show and act music ... I love it! Living just 30 minutes from the theater district helps keep those fires burning strong!

Although the original musical I was co-creating over the past several years has hit a brick wall, I did create a ton of backing-tracks with original arrangements and orchestrations for our church's 80th anniversary dinner theater musical just a couple of months ago ... I'll start posting a selection here and there in the New Year.

Once again ... THANKS for the links!

Frank

Hey again Randy,

... I'll start posting a selection here and there in the New Year.

Once again ... THANKS for the links!

Frank
    Now that's excellent news, Frank--Really looking forward to hearing those posts!--and thanks for the interest in mine. Us theatre nuts have to stick together!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast